Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Level 1 user

Community Sculptures -Suggestions Wanted

As part of our Main Street revitalization, our town is considering adding outdoor sculpture as part of an "Arts on Main Street" program. This would give opportunity for local artists to display their work. I am thinking along the lines of Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ, but of course on a tiny scale in comparison.

I would love any tips/suggestions from sculptors as to the development of this program or if you are aware of any other communities that have introduced this to their parks or main streets.

In my last community, I helped to introduce local artists to retail stores and restaurants so they could display and sell their work; however this is a much larger endeavor with a medium I am not familiar with.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Community Sculptures -Suggestions Wanted

Go to proartsjerseycity.org , a very active organization in Jersey arts. I was a member and worked with them extensively for many years on projects such as yours. If you are within reach they can be valuable to you.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
ISC Member

Hi, This sort of thing "art on the street/corner" is going on all over the country. Towns trying to revitalize themselves have discovered that art, outdoor sculpture in particular is a great draw and helps bring life and positive change to downtowns everywhere.
An honorarium must be paid to the sculptors and the higher dollar amount that is, the greater the quality of art you will attract. A $1000 honorarium should get you some good work. Just remember, it costs a lot, gas, food, lodging to transport sculpture around the country so if you can't offer that much, a free night or two at a local motel and a luncheon or dinner for the artists might be in order.
If you just want to show the local talent a lesser honorarium is certainly in order but the quality of work will suffer.
I have two pieces in Grand Junction Colorado, and they have 90 pieces in 6 blocks of Main St. They buy work every year and own about 50 of those pieces, the rest are loaners. The honorarium is low but a free room and a dinner for the sculptors is thrown in and they put a plaque by each piece with the title, your name, the price and their phone #.
www.downtowngj.org , click on AOTC (art on the corner) is their web site, check it out.
I'm trying to do the same thing where I live, but so far we've only got two concrete pads and a third one on the way and the New Mexico Arts gov't agency, although great in many respects won't fund it. It somehow doesn't fit into their bylaws for funding.
Good luck!
Have a great day,
Jeff

Last edited by ironman : 07-25-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add something
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Level 10 user

I happened to notice this site. It is not all about sculpture, but is this related to what you are looking for?

5th Annual art on the street
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Level 10 user

And of course the lawyers ruin it all again. The biggest obstacle I have seen faced by persons or groups trying to exhibit public sculpture is liability and insurance. It has proven many time to be the killer of an initiative to get our work out.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
ISC Member

Hi Merlion, I don't think that's what we're talking about here. That's a one day event akin to an art fair, one where the artists show and sell their work from their booths.
I don't do those.
What we're talking about is, a sculptor loans a piece to a city, civic organization, college, etc. for a specific period of time, usually a year and receives a $1000. (more or less) honorarium. The work is usually for sale and sometimes the organization will buy a piece or a piece will be sold to some citizen who's juust passing through.
I have 5 pieces out in 2 of these venues and it looks like I might have sold 4 of them. Not bad, eh!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Level 2 user

I was following this thread last week and then got approached by a developer in our downtown about starting a program like this in our cultural district(I swear he mentioned it first ). Ironman, since you've been doing this successfully, could you tell us about liability: do you have liability for public safety if someone gets hurt on your piece and what kind of liability does the city/organization have for damage/theft of your work? I think evaldart is right about this being the biggest obstacle.

Thanks
Robert

Last edited by natural : 07-30-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot to sign
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Most places that do this have liability insurance coverage in place, but not all. I did have a piece on display in a venue that didn't have any insurance and I don't carry any myself, I showed anyway, UNinsured! I talked to other sculptors at this place and asked if they got insurance on their own, NONE OF THEM DID!
Also,Some places also provide insurance against damage to the sculpture.
The city or whoever is running this sort of project can usually get ins. or a rider to their regular ins. policy cheaper than we can and another thing to keep in mind is that they, in all cases, will not accept a piece they deem to be possibly dangerous. That includes shoddy construction and sharp edges or points that little Jimmy could get impaled on should he be running around, not looking where he's going. Let's face it, you'd feel awful if someone got injured by your piece.
I have a piece in my gallery right now that's giving the gallery owner fits, it's low to the ground and has some pointy places on it. He doesn't know whether to leave it on the ground (my preference) or raise it up 2 ft. on a pedestal and impale some short drunk adult at the opening.
Hope I answered some of your questions.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Level 3 user

Hello Garr

I took part in a mainstreet revitalisation in 2003. I was the city of Williamsport Pa,s first artist in their Artist in Residence Program. The city invited me to attend their summer First Fridays and asked that I was present on the street working. For this they gave me first pic on a location and given a small amount of money to design, build, and install a small sculpture.

birdjes@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Where in NJ? i'm in Monmouth County, NJ. I have a piece in S.I.C.A.'s (shore institute for contemporary arts) "Sculptoure Show" in Long Branch, NJ. This is very similar to what you are talking about. Their web site (www.sica.org) has some info on it but not really a great amount. The pieces are supposedly covered by the town's insurance. I have none. Send me a message for more info if you like.