Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Level 2 user

Web Site Troubles?

Is this web site having technical difficulties? I looks like we lost two weeks worth of posts.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:44 PM
scupture.net

We have been dead in the water because the computer service that runs my name server changed my ip address - without telling me ahead of time. I'm really mad about it, and I hope that it will become fully functional again soon.

Email and everything was down - there is no block and it was no fault of any users. I'm still not sure we are back up yet as the database of users and postings is not reading what it did before.

So bear with us as I continue to work on solving this untimely disruption.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:33 PM

You should expect financial compensation for that... take it, and leave their service.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:49 PM
scupture.net

I agree, on the one hand I'm glad to get something back up, but am very unhappy by the gap and disruption.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:53 PM

I know some people who are good with databases and familiar with forum software... if you need some info. Really, the ip change should not have caused the data loss?

Also, even though your doubtless aware of it: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php

Last edited by Araich : 06-23-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
scupture.net

The original ip was decommissioned. From what I can piece together they changed my server from secure2 to secure6 without telling me. They also changed my nameserver ip without letting me know ahead of time.

It has been a struggle to get the new address sent throughout the internet, and it will take a few more hours to reach everyone I believe.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Level 10 user

thanks

Thanks.

RD
Old 06-24-2003, 08:57 AM
scupture.net

This is what they finally emailed me -

Quote:
A different set of IPs were made up in the new servers. So the IPs of all name servers as well as the domains were changed.
We had notified almost all clients on the issue. It seems you have missed it. We are extremely sorry for that.
Regarding the posts that were made on the transition time, we could not retrieve the details as the old server has been already decommissioned. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Loosing anything could of been avoided - we've are back up as good as we are because I had backed up info.

But I could of not lost anything - if they had warned me, not to mention the 20 hours plus over the weekend I've spent trying to get the site back up.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Level 2 user

Also, http://www.sculpture.net/ does not work. I get a NOT FOUND page. I have to use http://www.sculpture.net/community to get to the forum. This isn't that big of a problem but that is what all my bookmarks pointed to. It was by dumb luck that I was able to get the correct address.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:57 AM
scupture.net

Quote:
Also, http://www.sculpture.net/ does not work.
Yes that redirect was lost also...

I have it working now on my system. Please try it again and see if it now works for you.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:08 AM
scupture.net

Also I have just fixed the http://sculpture.net/web-discuss redirect, which is the connection to the ISC sculpture.org website.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Level 1 user

Thumbs up Thanks for the hard work.

Everyone - please remember what a great service Russ is doing for us here for free! This kind of headache not only takes time to fix but the frustration level involved can shorten a man's life!

Thanks Russ!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Level 2 user

Thumbs up

Yes, Thanks Russ.

I was just trying to help sort out the issues. I hope I didn't come off rudly.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Level 2 user

Yep, the redirects work for me now too. Thanks for getting all of the mess sorted out so fast.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:43 PM

Lucky those 20 posts I'd made were of no value anyway

I think we have a enough 'hardcore' members to ride this out without note. I do suggest that a more obvious (temporary) notice be put up (coloured text? Main page?) for those new members that have lost all their posts, and may feel put out. Or perhaps a BCC email.

And for Russ... 3 cheers!

Or should that be 3 beers.

Pictured: Russ at work over the weekend
Old 06-24-2003, 07:20 PM
ISC Member

Russ, like I said in my e-mail, I'm getting in if I use Explorer but Netscape isn't loading the forum for some reason? Is anyone using Netscape 7.0 to view and post in the forum?

Thanks for all your help Russ... and for taking my 20 e-mails.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:24 PM
scupture.net

Thank you everyone.

Davem, The only reason I can think of that Netscape 7 wouldn't work is because of the cache. And Netscape 7 is working on my system now.

To clear the cache:

1. Open the Edit menu and choose Preferences.

2. Under the Advanced category, click Cache. (If no subcategories are visible, double-click Advanced to expand the list.)

The Cache preferences panel allows you to adjust the Netscape memory and disk cache:

* Clear Memory Cache: Click this to clear the memory cache.

After clearing memory and disk cache it should work - especially if your other browser is working. Rebooting your computer may also reset the caches and solve the problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
scupture.net

Quote:
I think we have a enough 'hardcore' members to ride this out without note. I do suggest that a more obvious (temporary) notice be put up (coloured text? Main page?) for those new members that have lost all their posts, and may feel put out. Or perhaps a BCC email.
I have emailed the new users most affected already, and I will send a bigger email out as soon as I'm sure the site is working for everyone. Please repost as you get the chance, I will be backing up often to an outside computer just to be sure. We did have some great postings that I'm so sorry are lost.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:53 PM
ISC Member

Russ,

That did it... thanks again!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Sculptor

IP problems

Russ - Congratulations on getting the site back up so effectively, and for candidly reporting the troubles. As Georges just said, we all should know that you do this on a volunteer basis, and all with your own computer and funding/time.

Iíve been checking about twice daily since the last successful contact Thursday night, 6/19, but otherwise have been involved with community activities that keep me from sculpture more than I would like. Actually, I compose most of my replies in a word processor for spell-check and to reduce on-line overhead, so I may be able to recover some messages, if they still seem relevant.

Thanks for the site and for getting it back online. Bouquet and roses to Russ! (Thatís symphony and opera talk, for any unreconstructed sculptors. Beethoven, Mozart, et al, usually keep me in a good humor while I work.)
Old 06-25-2003, 02:34 AM
scupture.net

Charles, I'm very glad you have the practice of composing your posts offline, that will help tremendously as I know several of your recent posts need to be reposted.

I have to catch a flight to Mexico tomorrow (have a smaller sculpture going along for a special ceremony) - but I'm taking my computer and will be able to work from there.

The server stats look like the site is getting full traffic today again after the main problem Friday night. At that time we went to zero and it also shut down my regular email for the weekend. We were having smaller disruptions before that and I now believe they were all related to the same issue.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Sculptor

Word-processor backup

Russ - I'll look through what I have and try to get materials back over the next week or so, with patches back to the older threads when possible, or make up a similar context.

I saw last night that a great deal of the very interesting thread on "Sculpture and Computers" is gone, including many good web vectors from lowpoly and jfmenna, and some commentary from you on browser difficulties. Fortunately, most of the early thread is still there.

Hope you have great results on the trip! And, many thanks again for this great site.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:10 AM

Thumbs up

I had a few minimal problems recently--Nothing too bad, though.

Just some problems accessing the forum along with being redirected to the intro page when trying to access the Art Lounge....(go figure )

As always, Russ, your hard work is greatly appreiciated!