Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Level 2 user

Lightbulb For partners/spouses/business managers of scuptors

I am married to a painter/sculptor. I have recently introduced him to the site and so far he is intrigued. However, I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for the supportive spouses/partners to have a forum. I am a long time art enthusiast, but I am relatively new to immersing myself in the community and business angles.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from others.

Ana Sierra ~Jonsson
Old 05-01-2003, 04:43 PM

Talking

The last thing my girlfriend wants to do is talk about sculpture!

I can't decide if that is a good or bad thing.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:32 PM

I find that it is very helpful to have a wife that is not very interested in sculpture. Her intelligent, healthy skepticism is a great way to filter the good ideas from the bad. I figure, if I can make a work that impresses her, it's an accomplishment!

Sam
Old 05-02-2003, 06:10 PM
ISC Member

I think its great to have a spouse/partner interested in helping the career of the artist. I don't actually know of any forums which exist specifically for this role, but there are good resources for helping your spoust/partner succeed.
Obviously scouring the postings on sculpture.org for appropriate opportunities is a good start.
The artist help network http://www.artisthelpnetwork.com/ could be another resource to find ways to support and encourage your artist. The person who put together this site also wrote How to Suvive and Prosper as an Artist - a great read for artist and partner/spouse both!
I wish my husband was interested in helping me - I would much rather be making art than scouring the web for opportunities for shows and funding, but I do also like the challenge of getting him interested in the work .
Old 05-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Level 2 user

I was on a steering group for an audit aimed at measuring artists business activities and needs. We tried to set the questions in such a way as to be able to see the balance between artists income from their work, from arts related employment and non-arts related employment. Taking business related outgoings into account it looked like many (the great majority) of artists practices are unviable. There wasn't money to even start to put a roof over their heads, even with a suplimentary income from employment.

We didn't forsee the importance of the support of a spouse in this respect, and didn't set up the questions to measure it. We should have looked at the artists turnover against a household income, not the individuals.

Obviously a spouse's support is more than just financial. But the audit highlighted (but failed to measure) just what a major factor it is across the entire sector
Old 05-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Level 4 user

One of reasons my Ex husband became my EX was because he critisized my work and offered his opinion to how he thought it should be. If my art is an extension of me???? how come he doesn't like my work?????

I am content with a fellow that doesn't understand what I do, but makes sure I have the freedom to do it.

I think it is wonderful that you support your artist and being a fan shows your heart is in the right place.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Level 2 user

Thumbs up Response to your responses

What a range of responses! Gordon Rogers input is quite interesting from a business standpoint. Yeah! You recognize the need to acknowledge the partners. Also, there is a wide range of relationship issues.

What I'm currently struggling within our relationship is countering several decades of negative programming that pre-date me. Also, I come from a family (my mother's half) and culture that values art and artists (which is quite different from this culture). So, at times, I feel as if I'm swimming upstream.

I think the business angle must be relatively easy to learn versus the relationship aspects. I love my husband's work! Of course, there are some things that I love more than others. I also know that when we are doing well, he is more productive. In a way we are rebuilding his career as he enters a new chapter and it's almost like starting anew for him.

This may make sense to some of you and it may not. Whatever the case, I'm interested in what you have to say.

Ana
Old 05-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Sculptor

Openess to new things

I don't know how this relates to what's been said before, but I met my husband in a sculpture class. He was an established sculptor using some university facilities while he moving his studio - and I was a painter who was curious about sculpture.

Over the years being married to him, exposure to sculpture and sculptors has enriched my life in so many ways. I think it's wonderful when couples try to help each other and learn about each other's passions. It's obvious that the people responding to this dicussion are trying to do that. Keep up the good work!

One suggestion I have for a supportive partner, is to try to attend some kind of sculpture conference such as the ISC conferences. I have attended several with my husband. It can quickly immerse you in many levels of sculpture (conceptual, pragmatic, business, etc.), help you network with other sculptors, and it's fun to share the experience.

Good luck to you all!

Last edited by luckykat : 05-25-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Level 2 user

Smile ISC Conference

Thanks for the suggestion. So when is the next ISC conference? Ana
Old 05-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Level 1 user

I have several "friends" in my life that support my art. One will help lift, give unwanted input, likes to come up with crazy names and if its a great piece, wants to take it home. But I would love to have someone around to discuss art, without thinking I'm boring them..so when I do decide to settle down it will be with someone that loves art as much as I do, whether a sculptor, painter, etc.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whoamiat44
But I would love to have someone around to discuss art, without thinking I'm boring them..
I rely on friends who are artists, or the occasional buyer or interested party for this.
My parnter and I tend not to delve to deeply into what I'm doing and why, as it's a little one sided. We do talk about people and events though, and what to have for dinner