Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Level 10 user

What Do You See in This Sculpture?

This artist goes beyond imaginaton in describing his unimaginative gift. Do you see 'hope', 'darkness', 'winter', 'struggle', 'pain', 'a heart', 'freedom', 'strength'?

Sculpture gives hope to the sick and needy

17 Aug 2007, North Shore Hospital's seven-metre tall sculpture is the first of five hope symbols throughout the world.

The Seed, a macrocarpa wood sculpture, was gifted to the hospital to give hope and encouragement to patients and hospital visitors by sculptors John Ferguson of Rodney and Liviu Mocan of Romania.

Mr Ferguson said at the unveiling last week they wanted to create sculptures that represent hope in places where it is needed most ....

The seed theme was chosen because, like people, seeds go through periods of darkness before breaking into the light, he said. ....

In describing his interpretation of the sculpture he said the bottom represents winter as a metaphor for darkness, struggle and pain while the seed in the middle represents a seed breaking through the ground. The cracks in the seed are engraved, symbolising the heart and support from others and the top represents freedom and strength.

"We need to find 'winter' and rest in it, then we will be ready for spring," Mr Ferguson said. "I have many heroes, many men and women who faced dark 'winters'."

Similar sculptures are set to go to the United States, North Africa, China and Europe.

Mr Mocan travelled from Romania to work on The Seed and again for the unveiling by Prime Minister Helen Clark.

He said The Seed combines medicine and art because people are encouraged and strengthened by the hope that it represents.

He says New Zealand was chosen to home the first sculpture because it is one of the first countries to see the sun. .....
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Re: What Do You See in This Sculpture?

I think that this is a case where the work relies on the verbal explanation to communicate the idea. Regarding the form, what I see is not a healing image rich with uplifting symbolism, but a head set on a tree stump base, wearing an impossibly tall and oppressively heavy hat. Which, were I a patient at that hospital, would not be a visual image useful to my healing process.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Level 5 user

"Bullshit is everywhere. Bullshit is rampant."
-George Carlin

With enough spin, the most unimpressive load of crap can be made to seem like an actual artistic achievement to those willing to swallow it.

Most people are afraid to point out when "the emperor has no clothes."

Not me. And not Glenn.

The damn thing's even lopsided! Wait, lemme guess; the leaning of the piece is a metaphor representing the delicate and tenuous growth of, not only the seed, but in a greater sense, the nature of the human spirit... blah blah blah...

Fortunately it's at a hospital. That way there will be medical staff around when the thing falls over and lands on someone's head.

You donate what you know will not sell.

Crap I tell ya!

Last edited by Todd Harry Lane : 08-20-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Level 10 user

While I agree that this sculpture does not speak of the things it claims to speak of - it has compelling character in a Nevelsonian or Pepperlike (Beverly) kind if way. It looks old, primitive, antique...forcfully abstracted, wanting to be SOMETHING but ham-fisted into submission to its dismay. Its okay by me. is it wood? it would be better in cast iron.

guys, there is an empty place in the contemporary artist who will only learn from figuration. If we all awakened tomorrow morning to find ourselves transformed into unrecognizable yet normally functioning blobs, you would be freed of these bindings...and explore the world anew from behind our new Samsa-esque peepers. Man that would be a kick.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Level 10 user

I have no issue with this sculpture Evaldart. It is more about what the artist say about what can be seen and felt about this sculpture.

I did pick up the words he used, like 'hope', 'darkness', 'winter', 'struggle', 'pain', 'a heart', 'freedom', 'strength', and that I found them beyond imagination.

Actually, how do you explain your abstract sculptures?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Level 10 user

My problem with it is not so much that the guy sculpted it with his personal approach to abstracted forms, etc.

It is all of the B.S. verbiage whereby he tries to elevate it into something that it clearly is not: a healing image...and then foisting that on a hospital as though it will help in the healing process of the hapless patients who have to look at it. There are two things here: the concept, and the reality. The artist and those who have access to the verbal description have a nice concept to feel great about. The reality of the piece, which will effect everyone else, is something quite different.

It may be fine as a curious object, I'll even go so far as to say a work of art, that people can muse over or not, appreciate or not, be moved by or not.

I think it is definitely not the right thing to be placed at a hospital, where people are weak with immune systems that are down, spirits are being tried in an effort to stay positive, trying to summon the energy to get well. The last thing they need is some ugly, deformed hunk of junk ( but it's art!) to look at to remind them of more misery. It could be just one more thing that pushes a soul on the edge of recovery to think, " Why bother? "

If one is serious about stimulating healing through art, it would be well to consider images of wholeness, completeness, pure geometry whether figurative or abstract, and/or themes that radiate comfort.

Can't really blame hospitals for not getting it... in general they don't really understand the role of nutrition in healing, nor the idea of creating a healing environment instead of one where you feel like a piece of meat in a too flimsy robe whose role is to be available for tests and drugs at any time of day or night. They can do wonderful, lifesaving things, but they don't have the whole picture.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Level 10 user

nice picture
seems a sell out crowd of 3 (and the 2 artists) standing bemusedly and confusedly by for the photo-op while the designated idiot of the day rambles endlessly on in an hyperbolic dedication speech...(or maybe they're waiting for their turn at the podium?)
bla...bla...bla

c'mon guys
'tain't so bad
it's almost as much fun as (and reminiscent of) the lawn gnomes i saw in the movie "the full Monty"

when ALL sculpture mimics a Rorschach(sp?) test
we will all be free to dissolve into amorphous mindless blobs and slowly ooze our way down the gutter and rejoin the great oceans of life from whence we came

staring at a matched pair of ink blobs, i see the whole future and destiny of mankind blasting bursting billowing forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
healing the sick,
raising the dead
and making the little girls go out of their heads
I see my mother and father smoking the sheets in their struggle to create me
I see ocean waves crashing on a primordial shore and trains rushing into tunnels, majestic redwoods stretching into the sky, millions of worms entwined in a smothering mass surrounding my head and body, and i am swimming in worms.......
help.......

(gasp)
wut's not to love?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Level 10 user

I can't see the sculpture very well because the size limit on this highly visual sculpture site is too small!

Looks like a nice upside down table leg to me though, I don't see what the big deal is.
I still have my mustard seed in a pin somewhere... Symbol of hope.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
I still have my mustard seed in a pin somewhere... Symbol of hope.
Interesting. Are you going to do a sculpture of it, or have you done it already?

On the other hand, is it hope? Would the mustard seed still grow after a pin is pushed through it?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Level 10 user

I see a potential seed, but this guy should let the sculpture speak for itself.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Level 10 user

Oh no, the mustard seed was awarded to me.. An old Chef thing.. It's in glass mounted on a gold pin for a tie or Chef jacket. Nothing much to sculpt there really.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Level 10 user

It had to be "gifted", for certainly no one would pay for it.... But even free poop is still poop and stinks up the place....
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Level 4 user

Free poop eventually turns into compost and being that this is wood it will too. Kind of nice but having gardened for a while it more reminds me of a Scorpion Weed seed and it takes seven years of hard pulling to get rid of them once they go to seed. Still the donor wants nice things said about their contribution to hospital and the hospital wants to encourage contributions and artist wants to encourage commisions or get rid of old stock. We all can't be Mike.