Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Art Lounge (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Your thoughts on naming this new work... (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=255)

Araich 04-29-2003 02:59 AM

Your thoughts on naming this new work...

I've hit a wall with naming this new work. It ships off to join the rest of my solo in Perth in a week, and I need to do some catalogue stuff - and name it!

Anyway, in the making, I was thinking of a script being thrown into the air, or other papers. I tend to use single or double word title - have a look here at previous names, if you like.

So, I may not use it, but would appreciate anything that gets this poor old brain working. :)

Bigger picture here .

obseq 04-29-2003 06:05 PM

Re: Your thoughts on naming this new work...

Quote:

Originally posted by Araich
I've hit a wall with naming this new work. It ships off to join the rest of my solo in Perth in a week, and I need to do some catalogue stuff - and name it!

Anyway, in the making, I was thinking of a script being thrown into the air, or other papers. I tend to use single or double word title - have a look here at previous names, if you like.

So, I may not use it, but would appreciate anything that gets this poor old brain working. :)

Bigger picture here .

araich,

could you give us some more information regarding the piece? specifically, the process involved?

i've always been rather weary of naming work and never put a great deal of emphasis on it...

with your piece, however, i think that for me, a glimpse into the process might stir some ideas for a name..arousing notions regrading why the piece *is* what it is...

just offhand, im initially drawn to the crescendo of mass near the top.....interesting that two very linear paths in subtly different directions lead to this mass....

sorry i havent given you anything concrete....just trying to stir the discussion :)

Pres10 05-01-2003 04:02 AM

Hey Araich... I like your post. Titles for sculptures are an odd thing... personally I like doing titles. The process of creating sculpture is such a non verbal thing. The information comes in a much more intuitive language. It sounds like you had a point that the piece was giving you a sense of it's name. (the script in the air...or other papers) I tend to get a little worddy about it. I checked out your other titles and my style is different so it probably wouldn't fit... but I would love to hear more about how others come by names for their pieces. Thanks for the imput on powdercoating... Preston.
Oh what the hell... how about "Updraft"

Here's a sample of some of my titles... "Tale of the Hunter/Warrior"
"The Wheel and other Less Threatening Inventions"
"Eagle Shaman Visits Land of Grandfathers"
"Tool of Technology"
If I get any longer on the titles I might just as well write a song about it... hmmm.

Araich 05-06-2003 04:38 PM

Well, over a few days, my original title of The Script has stuck.
It points to the idea of paper, and has all sorts of deep meanings - such as NOT following the script (throwing it into the air) etc. - enough to confuse anyway ;)

jsimms 05-08-2003 03:36 PM

rh...
I like "The Script", but simply "script" was what came to me. This leaves more to the imagination of the observer. IMHO
john

amsierra 05-17-2003 01:52 PM

Naming sculpture

This comes a bit late. I see what you mean about having difficulty naming sculpture. The work is exquisite. It flows, it melds, it holds. I'm reminded of a symphony, with the baton swinging in the air, catching the notes as they fall to the ground. "The script" is a fine title. Yet, you may want to leave the feeling, the perception open to the viewer and simply assign it a number.
Ana

Araich 05-17-2003 04:34 PM

Assign it a number! Oh what a dream that would be... I think I'm going in that direction, although a part of me just loves a vague and potentially meaningful title. "#213" just doesn't have the same ring as "Burden" :)

amsierra 05-19-2003 09:43 PM

Title

From the looks of your website, it doesn't look like naming a work has been problematic for you. You've done a fine job! I especially love <Besot>. I prefer <The Script> over <Burden>. Most of us have enough burdens and/or don't need to be reminded of it. But actually... well, I could go on and on. Ana

dondougan 05-25-2003 04:59 PM

titling of sculpture

Robert;

I've not logged on for several weeks, so I am a bit late to put my two-cents in . . . I know exactly how you feel about trying to find just the right title for a piece. To me titles are very important, but when I am doing a variation on a piece (lately I have started doing series of similar works in different materials) the uniqueness of the title is hard to grasp, and I need some help for my poor old imagination.

A friend of mine is one of my sounding boards for helping me figure out what my titles will be when I am drawing a blank. The other day he told me that he realizes that when I ask him I'm probably not going to use what he says, but just the answer he gives makes it easier for me to focus on what I DO want to name it.

I never had thought of the process from his point of view before: I almost never use the title he gives me! I can't help but think about what that says about my thoughtlessness (or thoughfulness?) for asking in the first place. I am just glad he understands my nature and allows for it.

Doesn't mean I won't continue to ask (I will), but I thought it was worth bringing-up in the thread.

My late and unlamented vote for a title of the piece might be the "Lost Script" or perhaps "Script Found" . . .

Don Dougan