Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Level 2 user

I need advice about modelling tools.

I have been doing the human form, primarily faces in polymer clay (Premo), using only a few embossing tools and an X-acto. I plan to buy some metal and or wood tools in January. I wonder if any of you would have opinions on the better manufacturers of such tools and anu pointers to websites that offer them. So far I haven't found a lot. Than you in advance. Great site by the way.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Sculptor

Re:advice about modelling tools.

Rusty - Check what I said in your Welcome Center post; it's not a lot, but a start.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Level 10 user

Re: I need advice about modelling tools.

Rusty:
I have found that my most used metal carving tools are the ones with a blade shape in the metal end. Be carefull to choose ones where the wood at the contact with the metal is hefty enough for some seriously deep carving.
I often make my own with stout tight grained hardwood cut-offs and old bandsaw blades (you'll need some files and a grinder).
For the wooden tools: try them in your hands, if they are comfortable, and have a shape that orks well with your desired end result, then you've got a tool you'll use often. Here again, I make tools to fit the task, often making tools with specific curves for each piece.

Happy tool hunting.
rod
Old 12-31-2003, 07:47 PM
Level 6 user

Re: I need advice about modelling tools.

Thanks for the input. Some of the tools I will have to manufacture myself. I've lined up about 50 jewellers wax shaping tools, polymer, dental, etc, tools that I will be purchasing over the next couple months. I really like some of
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/
tools but for the sake of limited funds I will be comprimising until I have positive cash flow from my work. And most of the tools will be cut up and modified for my purposes, new cutom handles mostly. The handles will be made from Cernit or another very hard polymer clay.