Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Level 1 user

Active alabaster quarries

I have been trying for the last 3 months to find a new alabaster source, but I get no response from those I have found online or listed in standard supplier lists on sculpture sites. Utah Alabaster Supply doesn't seem to be in business anymore as they have not responded to email or phone calls in 3 months. Color Country Alabaster Supply has not responded, and their website doesn't even come up anymore. I need a supplier that has raspberry and green alabasters, so Colorado Alabaster Supply doesn't meet my needs. Does anyone know of a western quarry that is open? My supplies are getting low and I'm getting desperate. For cost reasons, I need to order from the quarry rather than a retail art supply. Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:09 PM
ISC Member

Re: Active alabaster quarries

Hi Susan,

Rusty, at Utah Alabaster Supply, last I talked to him in May or June, had a lot on his plate. He was trying to sell his other business to devote full time to the alabaster business. In the midst of all this his back finally gave out. From what he told me he was going to get back surgery and then be recuperating for about 6 months to a year. I firmly believe that he will get back in the business full time but first his back has to heal.

Really like Utah Alabaster but like you am in a bit of a bind. I am currently working with Dodd Marble in Canoga Park. Recently got some sky blue marble from him, which was rather nice. He is responsive to his email and phone calls. He is also a bit of a character. Like that in an independent businessperson.

I have tried Neolithic Stone but have been less than satisfied with them. Colorado Alabaster is nice but sizes and colors are limited.

If you find an alabaster supplier that you like - please post their name and location. I would be very interested in contacting them.

Carl
www.wsggallery.com
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 AM
ISC Member

I get all of my alabaster from Sculpture Supply Canada. They're in Toronto, so the shipping costs might be a bit much for those of you in the US. If you want to get in touch with them, I suggest doing so by phone---I've tried emailing them once or twice with no response, but they're very helpful by phone or in person.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Try Myles at http://www.2sculpt.com
He's in Kansas and stocks everything.
I think he is in Italy now loading a container with new stone to bring back.
He travels the US with stone and sells direct to the sculptor.
Mark
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Level 1 user

Thanks Desertrock!, Myles is extremely pleasant, has exactly what I need at a reasonable price, and is making the extra effort to hunt up the best shipping rate for my order to save me money. He just got back from Italy day before yesterday, and was already back at work answering the phone and taking orders yesterday.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Level 1 user

Susan
try this link
the owner is a great guy and has some very nice stone

http://www.newmexicoalabaster.net/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan C. View Post
I have been trying for the last 3 months to find a new alabaster source, but I get no response from those I have found online or listed in standard supplier lists on sculpture sites. Utah Alabaster Supply doesn't seem to be in business anymore as they have not responded to email or phone calls in 3 months. Color Country Alabaster Supply has not responded, and their website doesn't even come up anymore. I need a supplier that has raspberry and green alabasters, so Colorado Alabaster Supply doesn't meet my needs. Does anyone know of a western quarry that is open? My supplies are getting low and I'm getting desperate. For cost reasons, I need to order from the quarry rather than a retail art supply. Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Level 3 user

Just an update on July 25 2009. NM Stone Supply is digging Alabaster from our mine every 2 weeks, We have a great supply of Alabaster.
Thanks

http://www.newmaxicoalabaster.net
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Level 5 user

You misspelled your link.

It should be http://www.newmexicoalabaster.net/

Dan
Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Level 3 user

Cool Re: Active alabaster quarries

Well thats bad when I can't even spell my own website name.

Thanks for the fix Dan.

Jason
Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Level 2 user

Susan,

The Anza Borrego Desert in California.

There is a U.S.Gypsum quarry that mines alabaster for the production of dry wall. The site is close to the Anza Borrego State Park. Do a search to find directions to this facility. I went there and discovered that the railroad tracks outside the facility for miles are shored with alabaster boulders of a great variety of sizes. Bring along a truck capable of carrying what you want and some strong abeled friends to assist getting the rocks in your vehicle. Good Luck!