Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Level 2 user

Better Business Bureau for artists

I keep hearing horror stories of galleries that warmly and graciously accept your work, and show it, and sell it, and then, sooner or later, get further and further behind in paying you. Is there a forum anywhere of Bad Experiences - galleries to stay away from? I have had 7 or 8 good experiences, and one bad. The bad guy is no longer in business, so I don't need to warn you all away from him.

Thanks much, folks!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Level 2 user

Re: Better Business Bureau for artists

There was a site a looong time ago. I'll put my mind to it and see if I can remember.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 AM
ISC Member

I don't know of any particular spot, but you can try to contact Hans from the Gallery Owe blog. He may have some resources for you. I also operate BogusArtFair.Info, which is a website for artists to share their horror stories & warnings about scams.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

It always seems at the end of the day,the "dirty Dealers" get weeded out,but they are definitly out there.I used to say only 1 in5 art dealers was honest,I will have to think whether I was to generous or not ...IA
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Level 6 user

CONTRACTS!!!! solve alot of problems, there are some great books at B&N, amazon, ect on contracts for artists, and doing business as an artist in the art section, sometimes with cdrom of contracts. If someone wont sign a contract its usually because they are dishonest. if your contract says net 30 then they have to pay you in 30 days or you can sue them, and unfortunatly sometimes you have to. Plus you could always ask for your money loudly at one of thier open nights like a 1st thursday or 3rd tues whatever they do.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsculpt View Post
CONTRACTS!!!! solve alot of problems, there are some great books at B&N, amazon, ect on contracts for artists, and doing business as an artist in the art section, sometimes with cdrom of contracts. If someone wont sign a contract its usually because they are dishonest. if your contract says net 30 then they have to pay you in 30 days or you can sue them, and unfortunatly sometimes you have to. Plus you could always ask for your money loudly at one of thier open nights like a 1st thursday or 3rd tues whatever they do.
[Unfortunately, having a contract isn't the same as having cash in hand. Ex-gallery owners can disappear with your art and your funds, and finding them, suing them, and collecting a judgement from them can be more hassle and expense than it's worth, especially if, as is often the case, they don't have any money any more.

Yes, a directory of reputable galleries might help, but even reputable ones can fall on hard times, and the artists are generally the last to find out, or to get paid off. And for "emerging" artists, the most likely galleries to take on their work are the least reputable. You can find out about bad galleries on various sites on the web, but by the time you do, it's generally too late...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
ISC Member

Hi, Never had a problem, always insist on a CONTRACT and a CONSIGNMENT or INVENTORY list.
I look upon this as a partnership, question EVERYTHING and do my best to fulfill my end of the bargain.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Level 10 user

I lost a small painting to a gallery that went belly-up last year. She just closed up shop and disappeared (a friend of mine lost three works there that could be sold out of his NYC gallery so he's actually out real money) I could probably track that dealer down and go find her but the diesel fuel would cost more than the artpiece is worth (and after all, it was just a flatty).

When they go out of business and sculpture is involved I never worry...I'm usually the only one who can/will move the damn things.