Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Level 3 user

My website

Here is a link to my website.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Re: My website

Hi Sculptor 7,
You have a nice, simple site there. I assume it is easy for you to update yourself, which is really the way to go. It is easy to navigate and quick to load and is uncluttered, which in my view is important.
since it seems that you have not yet had "Legend of the Selkie" cast in bronze, had you thought about connecting the two elements in some metaphorical way? In its present form the two seem like a girl and a seal rather than two forms of one entity. A simple solution might be a stylized wave form that touches each, maybe? It's an excellent idea to propose this as a fountain element.
The running cat photo is so small in relation to the others - I did look at the larger view too. This is possibly a function of the format. Another solution might possibly to show a detail for the thumbnail, that would be more in proportion to the others, then the full relief for the larger view?
These are just minor reactions. The site is good and practical. It keeps the focus on your work.
JAZ
Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Hi Sculptor 7,
You have a nice, simple site there. I assume it is easy for you to update yourself, which is really the way to go. It is easy to navigate and quick to load and is uncluttered, which in my view is important.
since it seems that you have not yet had "Legend of the Selkie" cast in bronze, had you thought about connecting the two elements in some metaphorical way? In its present form the two seem like a girl and a seal rather than two forms of one entity. A simple solution might be a stylized wave form that touches each, maybe? It's an excellent idea to propose this as a fountain element.
The running cat photo is so small in relation to the others - I did look at the larger view too. This is possibly a function of the format. Another solution might possibly to show a detail for the thumbnail, that would be more in proportion to the others, then the full relief for the larger view?
These are just minor reactions. The site is good and practical. It keeps the focus on your work.
JAZ
Thanks, JAZ. The above are all good criticisms. The connection between the seal and the girl should be made with some such device as you indicate. I think I have known that for a long time. Maybe some day. That sculpture was exhibited at the Daniel Chester French estate and juried by the late Frederick Hart. It has never been put into bronze which is a pity. My site was originally designed by a professional designer in exchange for some art. Since then I have somewhat altered the original so that I could update it periodically (which I rarely do).
The "Running Cat" was originally inspired by an Edward Muybridge photograph. It is in a school in Limington Maine and I never took a really good photo before installing it. Also did a life-size (cat size) terracotta which was purchased by one of the original owners of Friendly's Ice Cream. Got a commission for another and it blew up in the kiln.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Hi Sculptor 7,

The running cat photo is so small in relation to the others - I did look at the larger view too. This is possibly a function of the format.
JAZ
This is because the images on this page are displayed with the same width. This is usually done programatically during the rendering of the page to save the website administrator having to modify each image individually before uploading them. Its done just to keep the page looking neat when images are of differnt shapes and sizes.