Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Changing Genres?

Sorry Joe I forgot that E is king I on this forum and must be defended at all costs. Lol
Man I guess I've been away for too long when did Joe start defending any one?

After re reading I think I disagree. E every thing has been done and done better than either you or I could do it. There are no new ideas or ground to break.
You want to be ground breaking stop thinking about your definitions your art /craft conversation be free and liberated in the fact that it's over art is dead!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Man I guess I've been away for too long when did Joe start defending any one?
I never attacked or defended anyone. "Ideas" , opinions, the work, are what I focus on.

Quote:
There are no new ideas or ground to break....be free and liberated in the fact that it's over art is dead!
I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Level 10 user

The ONLY peopled place that will entertain NO "kings" (or even leaders) of any sort IS the mish-mosh that is pertinent exchange. If we occasionally lower ourselves to discuss the lesser matters of career, money, business, commerce, art-world fashion, politics (ouch) and religion (ouch, more), well...then we are only human; we naturally fatigue. As determined artfarts, though, we will recover; and get back to important matters soon enough.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Level 2 user

Hide behind the furniture, KatyL, the little-prairie titans are come to play...

A tiresome curriculum, this assthetics....
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by askesis View Post
Hide behind the furniture, KatyL, the little-prairie titans are come to play...

A tiresome curriculum, this assthetics....
I wish they would stop throwing toilet paper in the house.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post
I wish they would stop throwing toilet paper in the house.
That's ok, we get defensive sometimes. I think you got it wrong though. In an earlier sentence you mentioned "I think". It's a good start to adopt that kind of attitude as an artistic approach, and some of it will inevitably spill over to your approach to life in general, self, and others as well. "I THINK" as opposed to "I know".
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
That's ok, we get defensive sometimes. I think you got it wrong though. In an earlier sentence you mentioned "I think". It's a good start to adopt that kind of attitude as an artistic approach, and some of it will inevitably spill over to your approach to life in general, self, and others as well. "I THINK" as opposed to "I know".

"Humility" is not my main virtue.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
"Humility" is not my main virtue.
Humility is neither a virtue nor a flaw in my opinion. It is a fleeting state of mind.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Humility is neither a virtue nor a flaw in my opinion. It is a fleeting state of mind.
Erika, there are very arrogant people, and I`ve met some (fewer) humble people too.So I doubt for those genuine folks,humility is just a fleeting state of mind. For many of us may be the case as in instances we struggle towards that direction. For most, all sorts of virtues and flaws are exhibited to one degree or another, and yes, for most are fleeting "states of mind".
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Level 9 user

To be humble is to become submissive, to abandon forward momentum. Only slaves or detainees benefit.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

When folks call you "humble" they are just being nice; when folks call you "arrogant" they are are intimidated by your confidence. Neither is ever the real "way" of you. Take all that NONSENSE with a grain of salt and keep making thrilling moves as much as you can stand. We all submit, it is the nature of our species...but to SUBMIT is NOT the nature of one's own consciousness.

"Changing genres" does not at all mean you must work with a different material or process; it just means you are working with different thoughts. And THAT is what really matters.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-12-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
When folks call you "humble" they are just being nice; when folks call you "arrogant" they are are intimidated by your confidence.
Call me whatever you want, jut don't call me late for dinner.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
For many of us may be the case as in instances we struggle towards that direction. For most, all sorts of virtues and flaws are exhibited to one degree or another, and yes, for most are fleeting "states of mind".
I think that "direction" is a key point here. In my experience, when a person states too strongly their attitude or beliefs, and those do not agree with someone else, it is seen as an attack and not an opinion. These days, people seem very "uptight" about being contradicted.

"Virtue" is "what?"

A set of behavioral rules concocted in the dead past usually in direct conflict with "reality" (the way people really behave)-- so of course virtue is fleeting.

I think everyone needs to loosen up a little and accept that human beings are selfish swine. By expecting "good" behavior, you set yourself up for disappointment all the time.

Anyhoo...
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I think everyone needs to loosen up a little and accept that human beings are selfish swine. By expecting "good" behavior, you set yourself up for disappointment all the time.
Selfish, sure....swine? No. There exists a variation of "selfish" that (incidentally) makes things better for EVERYONE. There are interior concerns and considerings that can cause an individual to "be" better ; and in-turn, she/he affects the betterment of those who happen to encounter her/him. This is the ONLY way the species actually improves, NOT by continued pursuit of "civilization".
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I think that "direction" is a key point here. In my experience, when a person states too strongly their attitude or beliefs, and those do not agree with someone else, it is seen as an attack and not an opinion. These days, people seem very "uptight" about being contradicted.

"Virtue" is "what?"

A set of behavioral rules concocted in the dead past usually in direct conflict with "reality" (the way people really behave)-- so of course virtue is fleeting.

Anyhoo...
Was that a rethoric question? I`m not sure to describe well the term "virtue", but sure have the feeling what`s supposed to mean: virtue is what`s. lacking most on today`s world. Harmless qualities towards betterment of others as well as self. Enlightening characteristics... I derive, a virtue must in consecuence be altruistic in nature.

When you state: "I think everyone needs to loosen up a little and accept that human beings are selfish swine.", are you referring to current trend, or to inherent quality of humans? If you refer to former, and more specifically, if you`re talking about the now-so-called corporate 1%,I have to agree. lol. Just kidding, there`s greed down the ladder as well,but to lesser degree...
I believe though we all have the capacity not to be either swine or selfish, it`s just a matter of personal and collective evolution. There are BASIC behavioral rules (principles) that regardless of TIMES, should be deemed essential .Just a humble opinion.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Level 10 user

" Selfish Swine" has a normative ring about it. Selfish" is sufficient I think.
"Virtue" for me is the facing of the FACT of one's selfishness without condemning it or justifying it or running away from it...or pasting a veneer of "altruism" over it. I am "selfish". Fact. I am everlastingly thinking about "myself": what I'm going to do, what I want to make... to become etc.: "Selfishness". Trying to "get rid of it" or "change it" doesn't work. My "selfishness" is a fact and it's one of the many reasons, that things are the dreadful way they are. IMHO.

Last edited by Mack : 10-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Level 10 user

In regards to harsh comments on swine, pigs I don`think deserve that !
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
In regards to harsh comments on swine, pigs I don`think deserve that !
http://www.gabor-music.com/musDemoE-PigheadQ.html
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Level 9 user

My apology to the pigs.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
My apology to the pigs.

That's fine for the pigs Katy. Just don't cast any of your pearls at them.

Humility ..... or arrogance. Who are we trying to impress? It is a great thing to be able eat from what one makes from their work. Do what you love and you wont work a day in your life.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Do what you love and you wont work a day in your life.
So the goal is not to work? Hah! Only if you're expecting your fellow humans to do it for you.
I quite find that I am compelled to work most feverishly and most obstinantly on those things that are not designed to ever get me a dollar (though they sometimes do so anyways). Nature, by the streamlining of evolution, has changed the way "work" feels, and by extension has changed the way "rest" feels. It is important to give great consideration to what one hopes to get from both. Plenty of folk work without working...rest without resting...and play without playing...becaue they are thinking without thinking (gullible).
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Level 3 user

Gullible huh? you are right it is a matter or perspective or frame of mind. If you are aware of it tho and find pleasure in the fruits of your labor and in addition get paid for it .... is that really gullible?

Hum... not to suggest that every day of our lives is a walk in the park. Sure would be great at times if one could get his fellow man to pinch hit for him but there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Level 9 user

Cranky, and yet good advice. Work is good. What I do not like is slavery. Working long hours for the man for a pittance, when I have the skill to change the world. They've made a slave of me. Bah! I have a job now I am in the midst of quitting. I've decided to work to buy a used trailer, and then just work part time jobs for insurance and lot rent and of course my art work. My idea of what is important has changed. I don't care if I live to 65 any more. The odds are against me.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 AM
ISC Professional Member

Interesting Thread
I think that it is very important to think about what genre of work you do.....
So, forgive me if I digress and return to the question:

General opinions on "Genre"? Can I ask:
Do you follow a genre?
Which one?
Do you deviate?
Do you think it is a good/bad idea to use/not use a genre?
If you just make art that suits your whim, is it acceptable at a gallery level?

Personally my "Genre" is "Figurative" I don't deviate from this but I must involve the things that interest me and inspire me in my work.
In the manner that I create the figure I deviate as much as possible but it remains the figure.

It is good to have a genre as at some point you will become known as a "Figurative Sculptor". This helps the galleries as they know their market and the taste of the clients who buy from them and they will come to know you as a "Fill in the blank.. Artist".

However, I think that the most important comment made was by suburbanartists

Artists - break new ground
all others are Craftsmen - have skill but don't move past technical levels

I think that in order to get the attention of the galleries you have to push your work until you come up with something that is new, fresh.

I think that now, in this bad economy the "Emperor" has been spotted without any clothes and people are coming down off their "high" and realizing that there is allot of crap out there. If you can produce what you love to produce and do it so well that it appears different to the galleries, then you will get noticed. So if you want to sell the work it helps to be known for a certain genre, just make it as wide as possible and push it as far as you can so that you can be more than just a good craftsman.
Blake
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
General opinions on "Genre"? Can I ask:
Do you follow a genre?
Which one?
Do you deviate?
Do you think it is a good/bad idea to use/not use a genre?
If you just make art that suits your whim, is it acceptable at a gallery level?
Sorry I haven't been watching this post.

What prompted this post was that I had done some decent bronzes of horses, and suddenly to everyone I knew, I was a "westren" or "equine" artist. I did not want to be known as either one. Now, since this post, I have been working on composite figures. That is getting closer to what I want. I want my knowledge of anatomy to be just one facet of my art. I am still in an experimental phase.

I think my recent work is figurative as well, in that it is focused on blood and guts, living creatures. I am trying to move beyond "figurative." Perhaps to "figurative-imaginative." I simply do not want to just "copy" objects. When I work with figures, I usually do not use models. I generally make it a test of my own facilities (memory, sight-measurement, technique) and some mental image I have. I allow the accidents of misinformation to skew the piece as well. Making random cognitive dissonance. I am still working on it.