Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Another one sold!

Only if you show us your sandcastles..

Speaking of legacy Zoomcity, it's a pretty good topic and you should start one up on that.. I think the notion is a bit dated myself and I'd argue that it's an arcane and somewhat romantic notion, but if anyone can argue to the contrary I'm sure it would be you.. I just think the whole lone ranger thing with the mask and all that is a bit silly these days, that's all.. Besides, if you really wanted a legacy you'd be better served by not sculpting/criticizing under a "pen name",.. those guys all get forgotten first. The guys who are remembered are/were all nuts to begin with so you shouldn't have anything to fear. ]:^)

Oops, too late, sorry Julianna/Obseq..

Last edited by obseq : 04-11-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:47 AM
ISC Member

Thanks for the encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
As to pricing, it may be worth more, but you have to build sales before you can raise prices, or people balk unless they really have to have it.
The balking is actually why my prices are where they are right now. When I first started, I priced the sculpture based on a formula, and got some "well, she thinks highly of her work" looks. I quickly did a re-evaluation and decided instead to price them for what people will pay. Luckily, what people will pay seems to be increasing, so I can up my prices slowly. I figure it'll be a while yet before I can ask for the sculptures' actual worth...but I'll get there!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Level 2 user

Hi Julianna, hey by the way i love your work, i started out carving alabaster and soapstone and now im working harder stones. I have allot of patience i guess. Any way talking about pricing your work never be afraid to ask what you think it is worth, people need to be educated as to the process of carving, what im saying is the cost involved in the tools, its not like buying a canvass and some paint..yes i know oil paints are pricey but no way near what it cost to buy stone carving tools. I try to educate people on how i have to get my stone and when they hear the story they are usually pleased to pay the asking price, some of my pieces sell for quite a bit but when i tell then i travel thousands of mils to get my stone they usually agree with the price, not always but most of the time they understand. Ask what you think your work is worth and it will sell.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 AM
ISC Member

Yes, I find that it does really help for people to understand the cost of production... not just in the materials, but the work effort. When people learn that the stone itself is $1.50-$2.50 per pound, plus tools, plus 30-60 hours of sculpting, the prices suddenly seem reasonable (but sometimes still outside of their spending limit).
Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Level 5 user

are you getting sales off of your site, or through galleries? i don't remember even seeing prices on your site, is it better to leave them off?

oh yeah, and i looked up some of the names you told me about. arp seems cool but i couldn't find as much as i wanted on google.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
ISC Member

Mehl, my sales have all been out of my studio. I don't have representation yet, and don't sell online. I've been back and forth about prices online, and have finally settled on quoting a price range on the FAQ page. I figure anyone who is really interested in buying a particular sculpture can get in touch with me by email or phone
Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Level 4 user

Nice pieces Julianna - all your shapes are eye catching and pleasing to the eye. Beautiful curves.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomcity View Post
Ok, you caught me. I'm not an artist. I am an art critic. Can I still play in your sandbox?
Okay zoomie, was this just sarcasm, or are you really just an art critic?