Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Event in Abstraction

that did the trick E, good for u
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Level 10 user

Great work Evald,
In your photos I felt the whole room. not any one image . very powerful.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

It was a rather fresh experience for me to see these pieces contained in the gallery/room setting. I never consider this...because when I make them no "place" matters that is beyond the reach of my hands. I guess the significant thing about being put to the task of seeing these artifacts together is how different process can be. In general...I mangle metal, day-in, day out. But it would be impossible to stay thrilled by this if I was simply doing the same thing all the time. Upon comparing them in this setting I was able to recall the choreography of each and note that they all equired very different kinds of movements and heatings and leverages. It renewed in my motivation the solidity that variation is sneaky and how important it is to continually surprise yourself with your work. We must be sneaky too...make the "stuff" of art do things it wouldnt have imagined.

I still prefer the outside venue and the very large single piece, though. Those pieces represent extended spontanaeties, the kind that trouble your sleep for months, drain your bank account, wreck the body and trash whatever semblance of a schedule there was in place.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Level 10 user

Hey sorry I`m arriving late to the party!
I really like the piece on the right of first pic on post # 24
The sort of industrial look of the gallery enhances environment for your work.
The sculptures as a whole look very good but I wish you`d take some individual pics before you sell them.
Whether by the lb, cm, or sheet, is irrelevant, relevance is behind as you`ve already figured out what you want for every mangled work. So it`s a comprehensive selling strategy, that works!
The sculpture "PLOWS" doesn`t do it for me, a close up may help and tell me I am wrong. The color bugs me, definitely seems not to belong to YOU, to your set and style.
Oscar`s comments denote ENVY, with irrational picky, nonsense critic. BanalitY? Please, tell me of more forums related to topic, to join them and put this one at the end of list...thanks.
I feel envy myself E,but in another sense of course, which makes me less envious , rather admiring true effort of an artist doing what he MUST.
Congratulations
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Nelson.

I have painted 3 sculptures. All those times it was to satisfy a (very fleeting) curiosity. I have thought long and hard about just WHY a sculptor would paint their work...and for me, I usually decide that it is NEVER being done for the sake of form as it exists in OUR dimension (the third one....reality). It is usually done for superficial (or worse yet, utilitarian) reasons, and ends up in defiance or in rejection of that reality. So every time I paint one...I learn this lesson better.
There is indeed brands of sculpture that can be served well by the paint - works where subtle inventions of shape and contour require a surface unity for them to be experienced best (philosophically). But those are not my issues. My material is experienced better without the unity. Will I paint another...perhaps...and again, out of another insidiously impulsive urge.

regarding the photography, I do shoot them individually before they are sold. Not at the highest quality, but good enough for documentary and proposal purposes.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

But Evald, you did not PAINT Plow, you just gave it a monochrome colour, that doesn't serve the sculpture well. It seems that the red "swallows" up lots of detail unless you're standing close to the sculpture. Wonder if you could think of it as a three dimensional painting if you decide to give it a try again. I understand the aversion, but...I am forced by my material to constantly revisit this issue, and there have been many instances where painting the thing made it better. Sometimes it's just a hint of colour that does the job.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
But Evald, you did not PAINT Plow, you just gave it a monochrome colour, that doesn't serve the sculpture well. It seems that the red "swallows" up lots of detail unless you're standing close to the sculpture. Wonder if you could think of it as a three dimensional painting if you decide to give it a try again. I understand the aversion, but...I am forced by my material to constantly revisit this issue, and there have been many instances where painting the thing made it better. Sometimes it's just a hint of colour that does the job.
Yeap, I have to agree with Rika. It`s not just any solid paint job which will necessarily enhance shape-texture. Nonetheless, some artifacts achieve their best with material own tones. Go figure. Subtle tones may bring flesh to some ghoasts
Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Level 10 user

Yes Rika, UNIFICATION IS what paint accomplishes on sculpture. And you're right details do get lost by the deadening glop of a surface coating. The up-close relationship, the intimate exchange is where the good stuff lies. Sculpture that wishes to be colored (red, yellow, and orange mostly) is doing so out of an insecurity about the challenges of the other visual stuff around it. Fact is, no matter HOW big the sculpture is...up-close is where it should be regarded; WITHIN reach. And if the thing is commanding enough everything else will disappear (street signs, trees, neon lights etc). We all must simply trust our sculptural abilities to carry the load...as save the 2-d fauxs for THAT kind of art. But unification....yes, very necessary, very often for we manglers. It has simply failed ME. As I said though, I'm hard-headed, I'll visit the glop again eventually.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
ISC Member

I paint my work because I like color but the problem is, I hate spray painting, it's a messy, nasty business.
Since I don't like working in stainless I'm now awaiting a shipment of cor-ten and I won't be painting anything made with that.
Jeff
Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Level 10 user

Show down for a while now. Meager sales, underattended, underpromoted. But its funny how things work. Last week I received a call from some NY folks who have bought a few pieces from me in the past. They wanted to purchase 4 pieces from this exhibition (I had snail-mailed them a post card) They had driven over two hours to see the show unbeknownst to me.
They showed up at my studio with their own truck, I loaded them in and they paid me in 100 dollar bills. Admittedly, I didnt get the NYC prices, but also I didnt have to share the loot.

So, I was able to convince the accountant (wife) that this fit into the "found money" column of the household finance-itia. I'm ordering up eight hundred sq feet of concrete slab for studio expansion, fixing the ever leaky barn roof and hauling the sputtering Lincoln Ranger in for an overhaul.

These are the culprits no longer haunting the jagged terrain of my backyard.

I promised next time this happens that we would all take off for the Chevy Chase family european vacation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crimp small.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	13282  Click image for larger version

Name:	icbrker small.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	13283  Click image for larger version

Name:	small cinch.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	13284  Click image for larger version

Name:	star small.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	13285  
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Level 10 user

2 thumbs up !
Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Level 10 user

i c the language that cannot be taught.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Level 10 user

Sweet. Nice ones there. And 4 open spots in the yard.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Level 10 user

The coming additional concrete pads have already spawned a new (planned/plotted) body of large abstractions. But you gotta do the work to do the work - grow the "place" where it all happens. And that place isnt "in your head".