Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

How International is the ISC

This has to do with ISC's website. But as I'm not a member, I think I'll post here my feedback. It is also an airing of my feeling of disappointment.

With some free time this morning, I clicked into my website's art links, partly to check if they're still there and not broken. One link takes me to the webpage for ISC's Directory of Undergrad & Grad Sculpture Programs.

The webpage's idea is good as it provides a search into ISC's database for such programs categorised into different continents and countries of the world.

I left out the grad programs and first checked the undergrad programs.

I clicked into Asia. I found to my disappointment none.

I next clicked in turn to Europe, Australia, S America, Africa. To
my surprise out of these four other continents, I found only one program, in New Zealand.

From N America, I found 41 programs.

I would not know the intention of the people who started this Sculpture Center to add the word International in front. And to be frank I do not know how long has this Center been established.

At the webpage, I notice a sentence asking university members to fill up an online form for their programs to be placed into this webpage. But I wonder if they, at the same time, have been pro-actively contacting universities outside N America with sculpture programs to invite and even encourage them to provide information.

I wish the ISC well. But objectively speaking if this webpage is representative, I think it really need to make better attempts to live up to the name of calling it International.

Last edited by Merlion : 01-29-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Level 1 user

Re: How International is the ISC

I just found this website today, and found the same problem.

I'm looking for somewhere to do a masters (or a years equivalent study) in sculpture somewhere in Europe, and though that the database here would be perfect.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, if anyone knows of any schools that do offer sculpture courses in Europe, please let me know
Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
if anyone knows of any schools that do offer sculpture courses in Europe, please let me know
I am not familiar with them.

This is more to suggest using web search engines like www.google.com, in case you don't use them often, to look for such programs. They are very powerful nowadays. With a bit of skills, easily picked up, one can find virtually anything under the sun as long somebody somewhere put them in the web.

While waiting for my silicone rubber to set, I did a quick search. I first use the three keywords MFA Sculpture UK. (It is better to be country specific, instead of using the word Europe.) Later on I use the four keywords Masters degree sculpture uk.

These are what I found. The 3rd item is an old review article, but still useful, about such fine art studies.

Edinburgh College of Art

The Slade School of Fine Art UCL, London

Image Readers from EducationGuardian.co.uk

With more time, you can try your own search for more, and from other coutries.

Good luck. ( How I wish I am young again and can do such Masters degree study abroad. )

Last edited by Merlion : 01-30-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:22 AM
Level 1 user

Hi, thanks for your reply. I actually was on google for a while (that's how I found this site), but didn't come up with much.

The problem I'm finding is that many courses, such as the ones you link to, produce sculptures that are very contemporary in their nature, and I'm only interested in realistic sculpting.

At the moment I'm considering doing one year of the three year course at the florence academy of art, which is the sort of thing I'm after, but I wouldn't come out of with any sort of qualification. Ahhh if only I had the time/money to do three years
Old 01-30-2006, 03:27 AM

ChrisB
Re: sculpture courses in Europe. It depends what you wish to do - if it is architectural stone carving, I can recommend various programs in England. (Architectural stone carving courses offer a very methodical introduction to traditional stone carving methodologies and profound carving skills). If it is 'sculpture' or statuary, then there is the ultimate sculpture accademia (The Academy of Fine Arts/Accademia di Belle Arti) in Carrara, Italy. I cannot give you a name to contact at the accademia, but the studio I work at in Carrara has good contacts with the accademia, and will advise you. Contact Boutros Romhein at info@arcoarte.it. It would certainly be MUCH cheaper to live in Carrara than Florence for a year, and Boutros may also be able to offer accommodation for at least some of the time you are there. Website of the accademia: http://www.accademia.carrara.ms.it/. Email: info@accademia.carrara.ms.it. Website of the Carrara comune: http://www.comune.carrara.ms.it/ Carrara info: http://www.welcometuscany.it/tuscany...ra/carrara.htm. Of course, a little Italian will be needed if you go there! (Sorry Merlion - hijack now compete?!)

Last edited by Cantab : 01-30-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Level 1 user

Cantab, thanks a lot for your reply. It's figure sculpture I'm after, but other than that the medium doesn't matter, I just want to study sculpture "hands on" (I've been doing digital sculpture for three years now... I need to get away from computers).
The Accademia di Belle Arti looks very promising, I'm looking into it. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:58 PM

ISC as a european branch called ISC EUROPE based in Berlin, It has been created one or two years ago and is not so active yet.

Where in Europe are you looking for a school? What kind of school? full time scholarship? workshops? I live in Brussels and Paris. may I help you in some way?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Level 1 user

Hi Anne,
I may aswell fill you in on my background. I will finish my degree in computer animation and visualisation this year, and a significant portion of the time that I have spent studying has been in "digital sculpture" (I hope people don't wince too much at the sound of that...), which I'm looking to pursue as a career in film effects. I really enjoy "real" (ie non digital) sculpture, and so I want to spend a year studying it to get away from computers and also raise my own level of ability in it, hopefully increasing my employability.

I'm looking for a school pretty much anywhere in Europe (I live in England), the location isn't too important, although Italy is my preference, simply because I'm half Italian. I'd like to study full time for around a year (longer would be great, but I can't afford it), and whether I come out of it with any sort of qualification or not doesn't really matter too much so long as the teaching is good.

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Level 5 user

Talking Re: How International is the ISC

hi i visited florence this year but didnt get to see the accademia in carrara. i did see the accademia in florence just down the road from the accademia gallery with the david, but i only found it on the last day which was a saturday so most of the doors were locked.
i am looking for somewhere to learn about figurative sculpting particulalrly in clay but perhaps marble too. does the accademia in carrara teach it? do you know exactly how in depth it is at all? are there ecorshe (scuse spelling) classes etc?
i checked out that site link you posted but its all in italian, which i cant read yet! does anybody know how much it costs to go there per year?
any information is much appreciated.

for your own information anybody considering the florence academy of art, i visited that too and had a long chat with head sculptor there robert bodem. it looks really good, expensive cos its private but good all the same.
anybody who has questions email me at arabella_nock@hotmail.com or anyone who knows about the accademia's in florence/carrara and wouldn't mind me picking their brain about it please do the same.

is that 'possible accomodation in carrara' offer open to all by any chance? i understand you dont know me from adam at the moment...
would your friend mind an email from me asking about it?
thank you muchly
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: How International is the ISC

ChrisB,

I just completed 2weeks in Carrara at ArcoArte, where Boutros Rohmien, teaches marble carving. I found it very interesting. Let me know if you want to know more
Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
With some free time this morning, I clicked into .... the webpage for ISC's Directory of Undergrad & Grad Sculpture Programs.

The webpage's idea is good as it provides a search into ISC's database for such programs categorised into different continents and countries of the world.

I left out the grad programs and first checked the undergrad programs.

I clicked into Asia. I found to my disappointment none.

I next clicked in turn to Europe, Australia, S America, Africa. To
my surprise out of these four other continents, I found only one program, in New Zealand.

From N America, I found 41 programs.
This is how this thread was started in Jan 2006. To check on the situation now, I clicked into these continuents.

In Europe, there are now three programs, instead of none. They are:

Estonian Academy of Arts, Tallinn, Estonia

Loughborough University School of Art and Design, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

West wales school of the arts, carmarthen, United Kingdom

In Australia continent, there is one, probably the same one.

Quay School of the Arts, Wanganui UCOL (universal college of learning), Wanganui, New Zealand

In Asia, Africa, S America, there are still none !!!

N American programs have gone up by half to 63, from 41.

My original sentiment still holds. Here are my comments at that time.

I would not know the intention of the people who started this Sculpture Center to add the word International in front. And to be frank I do not know how long has this Center been established.

At the webpage, I notice a sentence asking university members to fill up an online form for their programs to be placed into this webpage. But I wonder if they, at the same time, have been pro-actively contacting universities outside N America with sculpture programs to invite and even encourage them to provide information.

I wish the ISC well. But objectively speaking if this webpage is representative, I think it really need to make better attempts to live up to the name of calling it International

Edit: From the ISC website, I note the ISC was founded in 1960, 47 years ago.

It's mission statement is:

The ISC seeks to expand public understanding and appreciation of sculpture internationally, demonstrate the power of sculpture to educate, effect social change, engage artists and arts professionals in a dialogue to advance the art form, and promote a supportive environment for sculpture and sculptors.

Note the word 'internationally' there.

Last edited by Merlion : 06-07-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Level 10 user

The word International can imply the interaction between two or more countries. We have an international show here in El Paso Texas (see call to artists for the October show- deadline 20 July) Artists in one bordering state in Mexico are allowed to participate. A former president opened to the show to the entire state of Texas and all the bordering states in Mexico and all of New Mexico. This only lasted the duration of the two-year presidency. Being truly international takes a lot of effort and open mindedness. Many activities in the united states shelter under the umbrella of internationalism, but the true reality is that there is to be found a lack of dedication, intension and desire to be truly international where every nation in the world would be allowed to participate. Wars between countries and embargoes that restrict trade will not allow a true international artistic relationship.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Level 10 user

There is some good news on this matter. I have been told recently that the ISC admin is looking into this, trying to do something about it, and is their priority area.

The world is getting globalised quite fast. All sizeable businesses have to take this into account.

Last edited by Merlion : 06-29-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Level 10 user

I would appreciate some response from ISC to comments in this thread. Apparently they either do not notice this, or prefer to stay silent.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Merlion,

Perhaps you should e-mail the ISC directly with this topic instead of publicly assuming they "prefer to stay silent." Remember that topics on the board are frequently buried under newer posts and are easy to miss as a result.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Level 10 user

Obseq: Of course I know I can email ISC but it is not my intention. I did say 'either' 'or' about their silence.

I posted that in a hurry partly to kick the spam posting off the 'pole position' as I have no authority to delete that. It is removed now, but it remained undeleted even after you posted.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 PM

I see your point, but in the future, please use the "Bad Post" button instead of submitting a filler post to bury the spam. :-)

It is removed now, but it remained undeleted even after you posted.

-It's still there.

Having just revisited this thread, there are some interesting ideas here!
The ISC-E, mentioned earlier, appears to have expanded their website.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Level 2 user

Merlion (and everyone!),

This thread did indeed get buried for me; sorry about that. We certainly share your wish to offer more international information on our website. In fact, we've been working all summer on a huge redesign of the Resources section. (If any of you are subscribed to our newsletter, you might have heard something about this.)

We're dividing Resources section into disctinct categories, like Parks & Gardens, Galleries, Museums, Servies & Supplies, Sculptors Groups, etc. We will be allowing members from these organization to post their own information and events, so the Resources will be as up-to-date as possible. When our redesign is complete, we will definitely be reaching out to more international organizations so we can offer a wide variety of information and opportunities. The whole Resource section will be searchabe by location.

The ISC is very interested in reaching out to international schools, as well. International applicants for this year's Student Awards competition included students from Canada, Estonia, Holland, New Zealand, and South Korea, for example. The residency awarded to two of the winners is also international. We are continuing to expand Student Awards program, but if anyone on this board has contact with an international school and would like to recommend them, I'd love to hear your suggestions! As you can imagine, it is sometimes difficult to get information about ISC programs into the hands of the appropriate faculty and staff, so I'd be happy to follow up on any specific ideas that you have.

lauren@sculpture.org
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq
Having just revisited this thread, there are some interesting ideas here!
The ISC-E, mentioned earlier, appears to have expanded their website.
Hi Obseq and you all,
I am actually an ISC-E member and find them very active in various way. I receive a weekly e-mail with updated informations over sculptors residences and competitions. In addition I receive a monthly newsletter about sculpture world news and members activities.
But what seems to me the main advantage of being member of the organisation is the very active local community. Ibiza the small island where I live is part of the Barcelona one. Every 4 to 6 weeks they organise an activity such as conference + dinner so that members (artists, curators, gallery, artlovers...) could became a real community.

I take the opportunity of this "international" post to invite those who would be able to atempt the next symposium that will take place in the wonderful Yorkshire Sculpture Park (UK) to join us sometimes in may -informations will follow.