Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Level 10 user

Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relationship

Rubin Gallery * University of Texas @ El Paso
http://academics.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=15064

Hydromancy: SIMPARCH with Steve Rowell
January 25 - March 24, 2007

Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relationship with water. It is a precious resource on the border and a substance that is manipulated both politically and technologically. SIMPARCH will use the rocky hill outside the gallery to site several passive solar distillation units that will purify 300 gallons of water taken from the polluted Rio Grande River. After the water is rendered pure, it will enter the gallery via a small pipe and slowly collected for the duration of the exhibit. SIMPARCHís system relates to a very slow fountain, a way to display this vital fluid -- the purity of which is the ultimate substance of a civilizationís viability.

SIMPARCH is an artist collective formed in Las Cruces, New Mexico in 1996 by artists Matt Lynch and Steven Badgett. The name, a combination of the words Simple and Architecture, reflects their interest in installations that present alternatives to conventional building processes and that use architecture to explore social and environmental concerns. Their work has been exhibited internationally, and was included in both the 2004 Whitney Biennial and in a 2005 exhibition at the Tate Modern in London. Their exhibition at the Rubin marks their tenth anniversary.

Photos taken by El Paso sculptor claude montes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05420.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5291  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05388.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	5292  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05383.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	5293  

Last edited by marblecutter : 02-19-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relationship

I am interested MC, although of course I cannot visit and see it in person. Unfortunately your photos cannot show clearly how the whole idea works.

Do they have good display posters to explain the artistic and the technical concepts?

I would not debate whether it is sculpture as this will be a troll that leads to a dead end. Actually the announcement did not mention that it is a sculpture.

My only comment is that if I were to pursue the art or architectral concept, I would do it differently. After all, everybody has their own views how to pursure showing a concept.

Last edited by Merlion : 02-19-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relationship

I don't know whether to laugh or cry every time an art exhibition begins with the premise of our needing to "reassess" our relationship to something, our perception of something, etc.

It is an intellectual elitist premise that says, " You fool, you don't really understand this issue. Let us show you the way..." As though everyone else came into the world unaware of these things until this wonderful group shows up with a much deeper insight.

Is it art?

Don't get me started on that one.

GlennT
Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn,

Well said....matter of fact pefectly said....'nuff said.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Level 10 user

Sculpture? NO. Theatre? YES.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Level 10 user

Do they have good display posters to explain the artistic and the technical concepts?

Merlion, to answer your question there are no visual displays, only the sculpture. There is however a one page that explains the installation. Please note that it was shown as earlier stated, at the Whitney Museum in N.Y. and at the Tate Modern in London.
The water issue in El Paso is very serious. The Rio Grande river is fed by melting snow in Colorado. It is used to irrigated agricultural fields, golf courses and parks. The drinking water comes from an underground aquifer that was expected to be depleted in the year 2000. There are more than one million people in Juarez, Mexico, and more than 800 thousand in El Paso. The population in both cities depend upon the same aquifer.
To reassess one's relationship with the water that is wasted and taken for granted is a cry for a real awakening. The military is expected to relocate on this aquifer, thousands of people displaced from other installations. A fact that became apparent after this sculpture project.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Level 6 user

Not to diminish the state of the water problem in El Paso....but this would make a great science fair project.

Just goes to show you, if it lands in a gallery somewhere it must be art..or so we're told. I'm sure there are many intellectuals who could make a good argument for it and sound very convincing.

We can talk ourselves into almost anything...then it becomes reality.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relation

Quote:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry every time an art exhibition begins with the premise of our needing to "reassess" our relationship to something, our perception of something, etc.
Oh, you have relationship issues, that you are indecisive about, and your emotions are vacillating? Come see Dr. jOe~. You can lay on my couch--call it a sculpture if it makes you feel more at ease. Now tell me about your mother--we can call that a narrative performance piece if that would make you happy. Since the immediate issue has to do with water, perhaps you were a bed wetter?

Quote:
It is an intellectual elitist premise that says, " You fool, you don't really understand this issue. Let us show you the way..." .
And also you have problems submitting to authority do you? Why don't you accept your that your fundamental problem stems form your water source(your little pee pee) that causes the bed to be wet because of the female authority figures that dominate you?
Quote:
Is it art?
You only call it art because the word is an indefinable term behind which you can hide from your problems. And if you don't call it art, then that again reveals your problems with accepting authority. Oh, my what a mess. It all just doesn't make sense you say? Well, thats the art world of indefinables--indefinably good and indefinably bad things and activities that humans feel compelled to indulge in and call "art". Dr. jOe~ agrees with Glenn's issues whole heartedly. But what to do? Have fun and try to charge for it--be it "art" or time on my couch--whether it makes sense or not. Or you could ...nah, just show me the fools and their money.

Quote:
We can talk ourselves into almost anything...then it becomes reality.
Yes,yes. Now for a small fee I can teach you hypnosis for the masses. Thats the secret that leaders have known for ages.
Quote:
but this would make a great science fair project.
Sssshhhhh. Not so loud.

p.s. I live on an aquifer . The people who have problems understanding its future viability, or worse, are ignorant of the issue are those who don't read the newspaper or simply have blind trust in authority. "Art" events or science projects about water will have no impact on the uniformed and stupid . For instance, Burlington rail road just built a huge refueling depot right on top of the sole water source for the entire region at its shallowest point. Of course the politicians and business interests endorsed the project. Of course it's guaranteed leak and spill proof. Of course there were several "minor events" within a week of its becoming functional. Of course if there is a big leak, its not fixable. Whats a bit of fuel to spike the taste? Call me a cynic.

jOe~

Last edited by jOe~ : 02-20-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Level 10 user

Art that I can chain my bicycle to is sculpture. Too much content in this, ...makes me think i'm reading the newspaper. Ouch...brain...hurting.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Level 10 user

When I was doing minimal steel rod constructions the simplistic form that is conveying water could have easily fit into some of my desisigns. The fact that it is PVC means nothing. The fact that the pool of water is part of the design does not retract from the statement and in fact a reflection pool that not only adds reflections but also distorts the reflections when drops hit the surface is not a bad idea at all. The actual PVC construction might seem crude, and I can't get a real feel for it from the photos, but the idea is good, sculptural and not only artistic but has a sense of the country (local).

I am far from saying that this is great art, but using anything in a sculptural manner that also involves a purification of recources is far grom being "unartistic". The pool can well be a type of Zen Garden object with a minimal sculptural form feeding it through means of which are untill now not thought of as being practile.

I do wish the photos were better but as far as I am concerned this seems to be a very well thought out educational based piece of art that uses a Japanese foundation as a starting point.

joe, you are too swift to attack. Glenn, keep your mind open, it won't hurt you.

Thatch
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relation

Thatch, re-read my post. I said I agree with him.
Quote:
Dr. jOe~ agrees with Glenn's issues whole heartedly. But what to do?
I was having fun with the entire process--and society. I should have said I just shaved my head and got 2 tattoos?

jOe~
Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Level 10 user

I did not read jOe's post as an attack, nor did I take it personally as he was creating a ficticious character using my words. I found it rather humorous, if a just a wee bit over the top.

As to keeping an open mind, being a sensitive soul it sometimes does hurt, especially the aesthetic nerves. I really do keep an open mind, but I have a lightning fast shutter speed that closes for my protection when confronted with too much discord.

GlennT

P.S. Speaking of open minds, I just saw in the photo gallery a mobile by ralphonso called "Exocentric Spirits" . I usually do not get that interested in mobiles, nor does this one fit much of the criteria of my tastes in art, but I do very much like the work.

Last edited by GlennT : 02-22-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

I'm glad that Glenn not only "got" the water project for what it was but also my post for what it intended . My thinking is not linear, but very divergent at times. I decided not rein it in for once. Glenn nailed my sentiments perfectly. To really "reassess" our relationship to water requires much less effort and pretense than this project. Turn your water off for a day. Don't drink or shower. Then, when your fast is over, go find some that does not come out of plumbing or other man made source. Like the old saying goes, "you don't miss your water till your well runs dry". My post was intended to be over the top, calling into question not only the perpetual "what is art?" question, but how do we deal with the basic concept of sanity in the world today...the pervasive neurosis of man kind in general. I like crazy art for crazy times. However, sometimes it tries too hard, to no effect, and in my opinion, fails to express the most self evident basic truths. If you do not know where your food or water comes from, and how important it is to your survival, well, maybe you need psychotherapy? Nah, you're probably too normal for even the best of therapists.

jOe~
Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Level 10 user

In a conversation with other artists we determined that any object serving a useful physical function was not art.

This is a water purifier which is plumbed into a gallery by sculptures.

Most interestingly although they set out to 'unmuddy the water' by distilling it, then feeding it into a gallery and tossing some art words on it, to make us think about 'water', instead they most likely managed to muddy the water for some of the viewing public, who are being told that something as ordinary as plumbing is art, and thus doing art a disservice by mudding the definition of art.

Come to think of it this is pretty funny actually.
Art no,
muddy alchemy yes.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

Note, I am not questioning whether the project is "art", just the sanity of those who think that they are moved by it. I don't need to reassess my "relationship" with water. That is as clear as my relationship with sanity. I should have just said "ditto" to Glenn's kill shot to the heart of the matter. Note to Thatch, I'm back in linear mode.

jOe~
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 AM

GlennT’s point about art projects that propose to ‘reassess’ strikes a cord in me too. In this case, though, it may be a perfectly valid use of the word ('reassess'). It seems to me that SIMPARCH is working within an architectural framework, presenting work that has significance for the built and natural environments. It would be very valid for a project with an architectural bent to take up issues like this, and through an installation (not sculpture, as is made clear), focus our minds on real issues. I also think we can be too hard on installations. They don’t propose to be sculpture, and they marry many possibilities that traditional art forms find it hard to tackle. The gallery experience itself may also be quite inspiring, even ethereal, as the purified water collects in this hallowed architectural space. I’m OK with this project.

Last edited by Cantab : 03-21-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Level 10 user

No, it is not sculpture.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSong
In a conversation with other artists we determined that any object serving a useful physical function was not art.

Boy howdy, we got a hot one here! The "what is art" question has been stoking my insanity for decades. Clearly now days anything that an individual that claims the title "artist" can produce can be called "art". What a tragedy. This intellectual concept has resulted in many tons of perfectly good natural resources being twisted into visual atrocities and perpetrated on the general public.

I believe that for something to be considered art it needs to be original, indicate that the artists has a master of her/his medium, ie has technical skill, and that it must have an identifiable aesthetic. Now the aesthetic, or visually pleasing part is wide open for interpretation. But I will maintain that the original, skill and aesthetic requirements can separate out craft from art and intellectual statements from art.

We do not have enough info to determine the aesthetic value of the water project, so Ill make no decision on that one, BUT...

This "what is art thing" has gotten to me at such a fundamental level that I decided to make an intentional art/anti-art intellectual statement in all of my own work. I just love the quote above because I think that my work meets all of the three requirements but it performs a very mundane, very normal, common every day utilitarian function of... telling the time of day. Yep, my extremely difficult to execute, highly stylized, visually pleasing work are just fancy clocks.

So all you key board crazed opinion givers, check my web site, what do you think? Is my stuff pure art, is it fancy craft? Is the fact that I intentionally made it perform a useful function an artsy-fartsy intellectual statement? Is it an anti art statement which means in todays market it is genuine high art? www.seguestudios.com (signature hyper link not working for some reason?
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.

Last edited by allenring : 03-21-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Level 10 user

Thumbs up Re: Is This Sculpture? Artist collective SIMPARCH invites us to reassess our relationship

Hi Allen

What you make is art. And gorgeous too. No way could your sculpture be called artsy-fartsy.

Lou
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
ISC Member

Hi Allen, Well, you ask the question, "Is my stuff pure art? Is it fancy craft?"
If it is anything, it is craft, cold, technologically designed, rigid, non feeling, craft.
I think it's well done, beautifully made, but it lacks, at least for me any feeling of humanity which keeps it in the craft category.
The work doesn't make ANY statement! It just IS! I think that's my problem with it.
"Engineered Aesthetics" should have been my clue, aesthetics can't be engineered, they can only be brought forth by a thinking, feeling, sensitive human being, open to new experiences and ideas, not someone tied to euclidean geometry, prime numbers and rigid rules.
I apologize if I have insulted you, that is NOT my intention.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Level 10 user

Hay, 'Tlouis', thanks for the great endorsement, that is nice coming from a fellow sculptor. And 'ironman', excellent insight, I have to agree with you for the most part. First off I'm an engineer with a sense of aesthetics, my work reflects that . Secondly it is designed for fellow techies, and the corporate environment, looks like it doesn't it? I tried to soften it by adding a natural element, wood or stone. But I have used these elements in a very rigid, structured way. I guess a bit severe for you, again I can't say your wrong.

However I will take exception to your statement about engineered aesthetics, but would like to discuss that topic a bit later, perhaps in a different thread.

Come on folks, 'ironman' gave me a great, really honest opinion, where are you level 10 guys? Where is 'MountainSong'?
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Level 10 user

Allen, I find the visual complexity and the polish of your work in aggreeance with the ideas that have driven it. Beware of the size of them lest they become futuristic architecture models..which could cause a viewer to overlook the wonderful materials you have combined so tediously. I like to see evidence of the human in an art piece (a footprint in a Pollock, chisel scrapes anf big beefy welds) but that is only a personal preference.
I don't believe art has to make any more statement than "HERE I AM" and one persons idea of beauty is very different from another's. You have arrived in a place of your own, which is one of the difficult parts of this career - tradition can easily ensnare an artist, canning his individuality and putting it out of reach on a shelf in the pantry, well behind the Hormel chili and the Dinty moore stew.
But just because I cannot see your hand in the work does not mean I don't see you. Your ideas about aesthetics seem to honestly produce for you and you will have to work hard for a long time to gives those ideas proper attention in sculpture. I'm afraid they are going to have to get bigger - and and whatever that entails will have to be endured. I think this might be hitting you in the wallet - but the ideas deserve it. There should be no excuses for not making those things the biggest and best that they can be...and the limitations or grievances that arrive by pushing them harder might change something about them...a natural and desirable progression.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Level 10 user

Since you have asked for an honest assessment, I would for the most part have to echo Ironman's sentiments. But I think that you are off on an interesting track, and just need to keep at it while broadening your base to include a better exploration and understanding of the "human" element in art and art history. I would highly recommend an inspection of the incredible glass work of Jon Kuhn. For years he has been creating an " engineered aesthetic" that has a lot of appeal beyond the "techie" niche and has a lot of food for the imagination beyond that of architectonic solids and planes. In my opinion Kuhn's work may disprove Ironman's thesis about being tied to Euclidian geometry, etc. The difference is he uses these as a starting point and then brings much more to the table.

GlennT
Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
ISC Member

Hi Allen, I'm glad you weren't insulted by my last post and I do apologize if I hurt your feelings.
As an engineer/artist, you do seem to be speaking (sculpturally) with your own voice and that's where we should all be coming from.
Honest and sincere self expression is what it's all about and you've certainly got that going on.
i'm more or less echoing Evaldart's excellent post (#22) which I found very perceptive.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The difference is he uses these as a starting point and then brings much more to the table.
I agree...in regards to Allen and Kuhn. Funny line of argument Ironman/Jeff uses. In sooo many other posts he insisted that "intent" made something art. Now it appears that he requires something more. Get your boxing gloves on Jeff.

I've stated too many times that art can't be defined. That said, there are things I won't call art no matter what the "intent". The key point is that the artist can not make his creation meaningful by simply claiming that it is. Claim is not enough. Like the afore mentioned water project for example. If something is so patently obvious, boring to the point of pain, that any living being would know, with no sense of wonder, delight, depth, creativity--originality. So if my response is "what a freakin', stupid, self evident bore, that can't sustain my interest for even 10 seconds, than I call this thing "not art". It can be ugly, disgusting, simple--just not unstimulating.

jOe~