Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Level 10 user

Re: happy, poor, old, city artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblecutter View Post
On the other side of this fence is a third world country. Measurable with a measuring tape is the distance between a house in the United States, with running water and electricity and on the other side, a cardboard house with no running water and no electricity.
I admire this guy Rauschenberg. He donated millions to the causes of health and poverty. Some people are totally happy to live with the bare minimum. It may take an artist to survive this level of poverty.
This border since this photo has become a war zone. A Rabbit proof fence in Coyote time.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Level 6 user

it takes all kinds and what workd for one will not for another. Art represents us and the world and universe we live in. The diversity of art and how it is made is as broad as we are as a human race, or maybe even wider thn that.

I hope i do make it. I work my ass off and the commissions keep coming in but i also feel lucky to be where i am at. The right place at the right time landed me my first studio space in atlanta. Which just happen to have unused welding equipment. I salvaged some of the equipment from the weather and started working. I now have my own rain proof studio with a bad ass power hammer and the highest duty cycle equipment i can get to kee up with my pace. I started out as one of those bohemian starving artists, while i may still be a bohemian i can make my own rules in my studio now and build things bigger and bigger. sometimes it is a phase we have to go through. sometimes the work of art is in the life that builds it. sometimes things are different than how you get to where you all are. I see beauty in the difference and challenge in the changes.

Z
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Level 10 user

Zoph, yes it requires motivated will, fortitude, endurance, persevering and pain to own the priveledge of continuing reward in a creative life. "Growth" and "change" are not all that different. And while the actual "size" of a given art piece is unimportant...everyone knows when they have asserted "maximal" efforts, physical and/or intellectual. You cant fool yourself.

What kind of power hammer you got? you got pics. I keep mine in my wallet with the pics of the kids and the anvil and the 48 inch pipe wrench.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Level 6 user

Big Blu, they are not that far away from me. I wanted a little giant for a long time but couldn't find one and big blu makes a good hammer and i like the interchangable dies.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Level 10 user

Hah, I also have a big blue...I make all my dies. Though for some reason It doesnt hit so hard in the winter (mines basically outside) but I've forged 2 " square bars easily with that thing.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Level 6 user

I'm surprised E, i always took you for a puritan, shovelling coal, sooting the sky with acetylene, bangin' away like some miserable Haephestus, thinking tendonitis is bringing you closer to heaven.

But really, technology is cheating...
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Level 10 user

Just don't cheat when it matters. And only YOU know when that is. The guy in the mirror can help.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Level 6 user

power hammers are not a tool of mass production they are tools of mass force. It allows me to do things more independantly. That loud rhythmic thumping that shakes the ground where i work is pretty ... well earth shaking.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Level 3 user

Smile Re: happy, poor, old, city artists

Oh this is my favorite subject! Having grown up with parents who pioneered living in NYC lofts, when it was all illegal and very cheap.(30's,40's, 50's).. it was a great time, we were broke not poor- BUT I don't think artists can afford to be broke any more. back then rent was 50 dollars or 75 dollars, food was cheap, my father turned the gas meter backwards so gas was free, all those artists were fairly young and despite some drinking, still had their health. Now lofts are legal but impossible to afford, zillions of dollars just to live. I LOVE NYC!! Love it! but I could never afford to live there in the kind of space we once had (top floor, 14 windows, 2 skylights, plus roof- 40x 60 feet, southern exposure with a view of the clock tower on 10th st and 6th ave.) in those days there were so many lofts, so many empty buildings all over the city, especially in hells hundred acres- "SOHO" - now yuppie BS has taken over everything that NYU hasn't.

someday I am going to publish a book of photographs of our life in the loft. my bedroom was a converted elevator shaft, we snuck in and out of the building- what fun!!
Denise
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Level 10 user

The real artists will find what they need. And not settle for less. NYC is, at once the best and worst place to be an artist. This wasnt always so, as Denise can attest-to with anecdotes.
But illegal live/work is quite still the norm for young artists. Less of it is happening in NYC, but then, NYC is cluttered now with phoney baloneys. Still good for the required overstimulation...but sadly tainting and ruining as well. It will take a stronger individual than ever to do battle there on any acceptible level (kitchen table studios dont count).
Art factories are the norm...big name irrelevents with skilled laborers abound. And they are not accomplishing anything at all.
It was easy in the old days...if you were willing to bathe in the sink. Different story now.
The best artists are on the outskirts...you find them there. Young, ferocious, malnourished yet strong, stolen electrical, well-mugged and vital. Oh they're there allright...as much as ever. NYC eats artists in a different way than it used to...I love it and hate it. The primitive participator keeps me going back; though I know that its a bunch of horseshit, and that it should have NOTHING at all to do with the development of my Art.

Or maybe I just keep going back for Mamoun's lamb sandwiches (souvlaki) on Macdougal St.

Last edited by evaldart : 04-09-2009 at 06:53 AM.