Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Help for New Orleans arts?

In view of the richness of the arts community now suffering in Louisiana, and the ISC's close connections to New Orleans after just having the symposium there in October, is this community willing to do something to help?
It will be some time before anyone knows what the full impact of the hurricane will be on the arts community there. It is still too soon to even know the wherabouts of the artists who were working there. But if we were to start now brainstorming ways to make helpful contributions toward the future recovery of the arts community there we won't fall into the same trap our government has with their beaurocratic red tape.
As an online arts community with more than 2,000 creative members we should be able to come up with some substantive ways to help.
Here are some thoughts to start off with:
- perhaps an online (here on this site) small works auction of works of ours? Establish smallish size criteria, everyone post an image on the same thread here, and everyone link this thread to our own websites and to the main ISC site. Keep prices reasonable, or establish a cap. For instance, a fundraiser show I've participated in twice now here to raise money for breast cancer research has a $200 cap per piece, most of which are 2D. Maybe $500 max for small sculpture? We would donate the art, and the proceeds would go to the arts community in New Orleans. One of the museums or other non-profit arts organizations in New Orleans would be the umbrella group who could determine how it would best be distributed. We could specify to them our intention to focus on N.O. artists, or museums, or public sculpture venues, or whatever.
- Once information is available about who and where the artists are, perhaps help them establish wish lists of materials they've lost and see if any of us can donate some of ours?
- Donate art books to those arts community members.
- Each of us write/e-mail regularly to one or more so they know there is support out here and to have a handle on what more is needed.
- Perhaps we could reach out to established art venues and schools in our own areas to communicate these survivor/artists' needs? Maybe our arts venues (museums, sculpture parks, art schools) can help out beyond what we can do individually, if we can be the liasons to get them the information about what is needed?
JAZ
Old 09-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Re: Help for New Orleans arts?

We could start with a list of New Orleans sculptors, and try contacting them individually.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
We could start with a list of New Orleans sculptors, and try contacting them individually.
I had a list of some of them from the conference in October, though I'm not able to find it so far. The problem: everyone has been evacuated to many different locations and right now it's really hard even for family members to find one another. The temporary relocation sites are just starting to try to get internet access going and phone banks, so communication is still pretty rough. Food, water, beds and medicines have been the first priority. But soon things should even out.
If our government would accept the generous help so many other nations have offered, things might be better right now. But we have very, very shortsighted leadership. I can't fathom the rationale of our present government in relation to the rest of the world. (or to the environment, or to poverty, or to war, etc.)
Anyway, your suggestion is a good one, and we should try now, but it may take a few more days for communications to be open.
I have been in contact with Russ Rubert, who is very concerned, but also has no way to reach the people he knows there.
JAZ
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Level 10 user

Although I have been crashed for three weeks,lightning,I hOPE i HAVE LOGGED ON IN TIME TO HELP.I do not have expendable cash at the moment,but I have space,barn,ect and anyway I could help an artist that has been spanked from mother nature/red tape nightmare I will.I am 500 miles away is the small problem,but if I can help store or turn some one on to people I know at least I can try.

Extremmly busy with major deadlines,but flexibility is what it is all about.Hang in there Southern Brothers and sisters because there are a lot more good folks out ther then care then don,t.I helpped my niebor load up lifts,gas tanks,wire ect this weekend,they should be ther now,they wire Home Depots ect and his company,J&L Electric, are desperatly trying to help get the hardware stores up and running.

IA
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
It took a while, but I've located the info I have on artists in New Orleans. Right after I came home from the ISC symposium last October I learned that my mother had been in a car accident. She had a broken scapula (breastbone), two fractured vertebrae in her neck and the diagnosis and care she got weren't immediate or satisfactory (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). Consequently, I put aside my packet of ISC info and intentions of following up on New Orleans connections and became fully involved in helping her out. She's fine now. And I've finally found the contact list and other stuff from the symposium.
I have addresses for a couple of dozen art museums and galleries and names of dozens of artists in that general New Orleans area, many without contact info, though. I believe that there is no phone service, no internet, in most of that area yet. But perhaps soon.
I don't know anything about Mississippi or Alabama artists, just New Orleans area.
JAZ
Old 09-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Sculptor

JAZ, RH and others - I just started a new thread in "News" to continue the material you earlier posted under "Figurative". My intent was mainly for news, and I hadn't seen this thread yet. Maybe we can keep it that way - help issues here, and general reports there.

My immediate thought is to run our support through ISC, if that is possible, and not the local New Orleans Arts Council. I don't want to criticize that group in any way, but the simpler we keep things, the better. ISC essentially focuses on 3D people.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 PM

If the ISC can organise a charity auction/exhibition of small works, for the purpose of direct support to hurricane affected sculptors, then I can offer this bronze as a donation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyph_hague_600.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2094  
Old 09-08-2005, 09:23 PM

I'll try calling the ISC tomorrow to see what their thoughts are. I'm probably not the best person to do this because I have no personal connections there, but I'll try. And if an auction happens for support for sculptors impacted by Katrina, then I will donate this steel one that was exhibited this summer in Ogunquit, Maine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Felled-2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2097  

Last edited by JAZ : 09-08-2005 at 09:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add photo
Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

O.K.
great idea:
And;
depending on the details.......

Here's one

rod
sculptor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08200029.s.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2114  
Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 PM

Note: Further information about this at:
http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...2793#post12793
It sounds like donating money is what the ISC suggests rather than organizing an auction or sale. Many thanks to Araich and sculptor for your generosity.
JAZ
Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Level 1 user

Hi everyone My name is Russell Michael I own California City Studios Inc. We are located in the high desert of southern california about an hour from Los Angeles. I recently lived in the art district in Los Angeles. I am a sculptor my studio caters to the film industry and we shoot movies here offten. We have a hundred acres for filming. We carved out 10 acres to devlope a sculpture garden, museum and gallery. The sculpture garden is being shaped now. I could rase money to relocate some of NO. sculptors works here get some hipe. Have our local artist contribute works for the relife. Hold a hollywood stlye galla, maybe in the arts district in Los Angeles and raise with gods help a lot of money based on the showing of NO. artist here at the sculpture garden. All I would need would be a list of NO. artist that I can contact Ill do my best to do the rest.
YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT 1-866-966-film toll free or email me at michael@californiacitystudios.com
Old 09-22-2005, 11:47 AM

This is an additional way to help, if you would like to, with donations of sculpture tools and equipment. LSU was heavily impacted by Katrina. Here are two messages from the Director there:

09/13/2005

Dear Colleagues,

This is the only expedient way to contact you that I can think of and am making the following appeal.

I am asking for your help in the ongoing efforts to aid the people of New Orleans and Louisiana. Here in Baton Rouge, we have a great need for art supplies for the evacuees who are being housed and educated in the city and at LSU. We have four cohorts in desperate need of supplies: children and adults now living in shelters throughout the Baton Rouge area, children entering the public schools with budgets currently overtaxed and overwhelmed by the doubling of enrolled students, college art students from New Orleans now enrolled at the School of Art at LSU, and professional artists who have lost not only their supplies but their life's work. The East Baton Rouge Parish School System is a separate entity and one that I cannot speak for, but the others are those that I can directly reach in this
effort.

Any art supplies, especially drawing pads, sketchbooks, pencils, markers, watercolor sets, crayons, charcoal, printmaking supplies, sculpture tools, papers, rulers, t-squares, and anything else that is not toxic or dangerous (e.g., oil paint chemicals) is sought to give these souls ways to express their feelings and impressions of this unmatched national tragedy as well as diversion and solace in their uprooted circumstances.

Of course, any gift in kind to the university has tax benefits, but your heartfelt willingness to help us in this time of abject need will not go unappreciated or publicly unnoticed. I cannot possibly explain to you the depth of hardship that now exists and the necessity for life-sustaining support. Art is such a powerful means of achieving those true expressions of loss, fear, confusion, grief, and, most importantly, hope, which words alone cannot convey. No donation would be too small. Please, please help us by providing what you can. This is only one form of positive intervention, coming quickly from the entire country, that will enable the people and artists of the Greater New Orleans area and Mississippi to sustain any possibility of a future whatsoever.

All donations can be sent directly to the School of Art office at the address posted.

NASAD and its member schools provide unparalleled academic support. It is my most humble and sincere hope that everyone can rise to this horrid occasion in the most expeditious manner possible. Thank you all, and I will do so again at this year's annual conference.

Respectfully,
Stuart Baron

Contact
Stuart Baron
Director, School of Art
123 Art Building
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
T 225.578.5414
F 225.578.5424
E-mail: baron@lsu.edu

Joyce,

Thanks for helping to get the word out and sending supplies. Most of what
we received this far had been for 2-d media, maybe a few sculpture tools
might be good. I'm not telling you what to send, but there are many
sculptors who've been displaced.

Stuart

Stuart Baron
Director
Professor of Art
School of Art
Louisiana State University
123 Art Building
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Level 1 user

Hello fellow artisans.

It's nice to see all the support from around the globe for the artists of New Orleans. I am an artist evacuee who is now residing in Baton Rouge. There has been much progress in New Orleans but we are still in need of help. I personally have had to resort to taking up odd jobs to supplement my artist income due to the destruction of the Mardi Gras prop company I did freelance sculpting for in New Orleans. I suppose one of the cons to this disaster has been the ample amount of time I've had to do personal work. Of which Iíve done quite a bit.

I would like to ask that any one who might be able to put me in touch with established bead foam sculptors in this area please drop me a line. I have literally no contacts in this city and would like to get back to work, preferably prop sculpting, as soon as possible.

url for my site is : www.sitekreator.com/walker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small help.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3422