Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Level 2 user

Question How do you display small sculptures?

I have a tent and opportunities to sell my work at various art festivals. But I need ideas on what to put inside the tent. Pedistals? Tables? On the ground? Shelves? Most of my work is small (12-18 inch high) figurative sculptures. Some are plaster reliefs (11X14) to be hung on a wall, but most are 'table top'. They are ceramic, bronzes and 'cast stone'.

I cannot find via search anyone who has submitted anything about this.
So if you have ideas on what to construct/buy/steal to show off my work, let us know, please.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Level 8 user

Re: How do you display small sculptures?

Display them on a table, some on risers. The challenge with small pieces is to catch the eye of the visitor, and to do that means the money shot of any figure should be comfortable to eye level. People don't always want to bend down to look at the pieces.

Use a plain dark fabric for your table cover and if you don't have good looking risers, use whatever you have under your cloth so that the fabric drapes down over the rise. If you have reliefs, lean them against the riser or get some inexpensive plate holders.

Mass the pieces mainly flanking you on both sides, leaving the center of the table pretty open, and get some nice one page flyers printed with your pix and contact info and place those in the center of the table right in front of you. Don't stand in front of the table, let the work be seen first. Plus it feels kind of uncomfortable to get up close with art when the artist is right in your face. Give them some room to view without feeling like you are in their space.

A good example of how to dsiplay is looking at the front window dsplay of a jewelry store. They tend to keep it simple and elegant. When you look at your display you have to imagine it isn't your work, so maybe you want to do a dry run using canned veggies or other mundane household items to better sense the aesthetics of your composition without the context of your own art(which you already likely find irresistible).

Be friendly, not shy. Whenever possible find something to engage a potential customer in with conversation. If they are carrying something you can address, ask them what it is or where they got it. Ask if they are finding anything interesting at the exhibit, etc. I have done many shows where I made sales simply by being polite and showing some interest in the customer. And they can always tell if you are not sincere.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Level 2 user

Re: How do you display small sculptures?

Risers! This solves how to show both the table-top and wall-hung pieces.
Thank you, Willpaq, for many good tips.