Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Level 3 user

How to plan for "multiple" castings...?

Hello,

A couple of clay figures I made will soon be cast as bronze bookends for sale. Ultimately, I hope that this will be an ongoing endeavor...

As I am totally new to this medium etc., I wondered, given the lead time a foundry need, the cost of casting, I wondered if anyone had feedback/advice on:

1. How to coordinate the sales? Do you wait and take a certain number of "orders" first, then start production? Do you get deposits? How do you handle customers/foundry with the lead time involved?

2. And, how is pricing pricing with the foundry handled for something that's ongoing, but speculative?

Look forward to hearing thoughts/ideas.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM
ISC Member

Re: How to plan for "multiple" castings...?

Hi Paul, you leave much unsaid here. First of all, How are you getting your customers? Who are your customers? (These are questions for you to answer to yourself...) How many of these sculptures are you planning on selling? How much can you sell them for? How much will they cost to make? (You can search for pricing sculptures, as I am sure it has been discussed before).
Are you selling directly, or through a storefront (they will take 50% of the sales price).
In other words, will the market support your price point? Art, when you take a step back, and when it leaves your hands, behaves much like merchandise.

You can always get a rough estimate from a foundry for the casting costs. The foundry I deal with will work with me. They are business people. They will give me discounts for larger number of castings, etc.

You can also find out what the lead time is ahead of time. Each foundry probably has different lead times.

I have learned to use spreadsheets quite well. You can use a note pad also, but you have to write every thing down to get real costs, etc. for your work.

One of the largest costs for my work is labor - or what I pay myself.

Any way, if you give us more info, maybe we can be more helpful.

Ari.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Paul,
You'll have the mold, so cast one or two and see how they look finished. Put them out and see what the response is. I'd suggest that you don't get into some arrangement with a foundry that commits you to making a bunch in case they dont sell as quickly as you thought. Get a few cast. Get them sold and then start thinking about the rest.
Foundries do them one at a time anyway, so multiples aren't that big a deal and you're better off going a step at a time at first.
Good luck.

Last edited by Mack : 08-01-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: additions
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Ari and Mack,

Thank you both for the suggestions and comments.
Actually, I was planning on doing a few casts and see what happens and I currently exploring options for marketing/selling them. The foundry is aware that I hoped that this could be an ongoing venture, but, we have not had any further discussions on that topic just yet. However, I beleive, as you say Mack, best to go one step at a time and see what happens. I was just curious about what to do if interest in them started to take off, how would I coordinate orders with the lead time etc.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Level 10 user

If things start to go well, order a couple to be "put into metal" without chasing and finishing them. Then when you need them the time needed to complete (chase and patina) them will be considerably less and the foundry will charge you for just the first part of the process (casting) and then store them till you order to finish them. Best of luck on your project.

Last edited by Mack : 08-06-2010 at 03:34 PM.