Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; esthetic grading, continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
No, I don't think this can be assumed for a variety of reasons. I will add though that I think it's possible to recognize a Quality work, or body of work, without liking it. I'm not arguing that we all don't have personal preferences, just that it's possible to see beyond them.
Sam - I think we may be saying the same thing in different words. I dislike the word “like” in approaching sculpture or any other esthetic object. See my reaction many months ago to Anne’s question something like “What is your favorite sculpture of the twentieth century?”

What I look for is “quality”, according to my own standards, of course; something that goes beyond like or dislike.

And I think the conservatism institutional curators exhibit is a way of dealing with esthetics in a democratic society. We both seem to agree that quality exists apart from individual judgement, but the question institutions face is “How do we reliably detect and measure quality?”

I think the answer is to wait for a sort of group decision. Let individuals with resources collect work from individual artists, and watch the reaction of at least a group of perceptive individuals for some collective judgement. When this judgement becomes clear through auctions, publications, or some other means, then act by taking these works into the public esthetic treasury.

Of course, this process, if my ideas are correct, can be manipulated by art marketers. They can buy attention through influential publications and venues, either through cash-advertizing in media, or by donating works to prominent venues.

Genuinely excellent work hopefully will penetrate this smokescreen and will enter the public treasury for long residence, but much work of lesser quality will be transported at the same time by the manipulation.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!

SSam--
Delightful to piggyback on someone else's tour!

What's the E Coast itinerary, if you have one?

PBannie
Old 07-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Here you go, Annie. This is what my final itinerary ended up being. Pretty close to what I left with actually, which at the time I thought was quite ambitious.

And perhaps it is like my old friend used to say, fritchie: We agree, we just don't know it yet.

Sam
Attached Files
File Type: doc Itinerary-Final.doc (30.5 KB, 617 views)
Old 07-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Level 2 user

Hey Sam
Thanks for sharing the journey with us--sorry I was not in Ohio during your Toledo search for a hotel--I should have left my door open.
Obviously the trip inspired you but it also inspired the rest of us to
"make good work"

Be well

Greg Mueller
Old 08-06-2004, 02:17 PM
ISC Member

Wow! that was a great thread thanks for taking the time and your thoughts
in what makes a good sculpture is what we all should to strive for,I will be looking forward to more.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 AM
scupture.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
Friday morning, we headed over with Russ and Pam to check out the shop. I can say now that I have seen the future of sculpture and it is called RuBert Studios. There I saw the near complete integration of material and computer technology.
Sam, I wanted to say again that it was a pleasure to have you and Mandy visit our Studio and we enjoyed meeting you personally. I will mention your thread at the New Orleans Sculpture Conference, and Sculpture Magazine is interested in giving Sculpture Community some new coverage. I'll talk with you more about that later.

Your efforts in documenting your trip on Sculpture Community was a wonderful and informative experience, well worth reading again.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:43 AM

Thanks, Russ. I'm glad others enjoyed it but I'm particularly glad for myself to have it to jog my memory. Just the other day a couple museums were bleeding into each other in my mind. Luckily, I just had to check in here to remember where I was and what I saw. With the distance of time I am truly beginning to appreciate how much I gained from the experience.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:28 PM

I think this fits here so I'm gonna go ahead and add it:

Last week I visited the Krasl Art Center in St. Joseph, Michigan for the show Sculptors Choice - Making and Collecting which featured work by Richard Hunt and from his collection of African sculpture. Here are some of the better group shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Krasl1.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1284  Click image for larger version

Name:	Krasl2.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1285  Click image for larger version

Name:	Krasl3.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1286  
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 PM

Afterwards, I was lucky enough to be able to visit Richard Hunt's satelite studio nearby in Benton Harbor. The visit was set up for my by Sue Wilczak, the Krasl's Director of Exhibitions and Collections, and made possible by Jesus Lopez, Richard's right-hand-man. He braved a building with no heat to give me a chance to look around. It's in a beatiful older corner building with sculptures lining the street. Inside are works from all periods of Richard's career, including some truly remarkable earlier works that are my personal favorites. Some of the rooms, including the main one on the lower level, serve as temporary displays between shows. I love that because it means they are constantly changing and it give you an insight into the selection process. Jesus commented that he envisions the studio as a museum for a great living sculptor so all are welcome to visit if you're in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Outside.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1287  Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Inside.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1288  Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Inside 2.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1289  
Old 12-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour! - Richard Hunt

Sam - Thanks for posting this. These are some really nice sculptures and great pictures! It certainly will be an excellent venue/museum.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam View Post
After that, we went to the Strong Museum in downtown Rochester to see this sculpture. It has always been a favorite of mine:
In one issue of a bmx video magazine that I have, a kid stunts through that sculpture. Pretty neat.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Level 1 user

Very informative indeed Sam, thanks!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Level 10 user

I just went through this thread for the first time. Thanks for the effort, sculptorsam! I wanted to add a comment to the discussion about quality, likeability, etc. of the works. In the whole series , excluding the Rodin's, I found eight works that I would want to look at more than once. These eight reach a standard of excellence in design and execution that transcend ephemeral or novel, althoough some amongst those are of the playful type.

The rest to me look like various attempts to weld metal together and see what happens, or otherwise manipulate form without a strong idea of what it is about. Or, in some cases, doing it just for the whimsical fun of it. Which, of course, is fine. I'm not criticizing that approach, just making a point about what some of these works have accomplished that set themselves above the rest in my mind.

With the exception of one or two of the eight pieces, none of these had I seen before nor was I familiar with the artists. Any of the eight would be works that I would welcome in an environment where I would see them daily. The others would become tedious in such circumstances.

I don't want to list which eight these are, but I urge those who are involved in creating public art to reach for your highest and best efforts in these situations, so that the work will remain in the realm of timelessness rather than a future eyesore. The eight that I mention have the power to inspire deeper thought and reflection, and can stir the soul of an artist to go back to the studio and create!, and feel like they are a vital part of this grand procession called life!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Level 10 user

Huge effort. I too never saw this until today. A very belated Thanks......