Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 PM

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!

And there is an incredible carnivorous plant garden inside the Frederik Meijer. I just had to post some pictures of these very sculptural flowers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitcher.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	736  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitcher3.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	737  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitcher2.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	738  
Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 PM

After leaving Grand Rapids, we had intended to stay just outside Toledo before we visited their Art Museum and Sculpture Garden. But as is happening quite often on this trip, we had a hard time finding a convenient hotel on the Interstate. So, we ended up just driving right to the Museum where we were lucky to find it open late on Fridays. In addition, they were having an opening for an exhibit of local artist complete with live music and catering. We never actually got to see the exhibit however, they were waiting until after the presentation to open the doors.

I really liked the Museum. It has some nice personality with a very charmingly laid out sculpture park in front. The highlight for me was the sculpture by Albert Paley. It was an education. I learned more in that 15 minutes pouring over it than I could hammering away on my own for a couple years. If I see nothing else on this trip, that sculpture, a small welded steel sculpture by Richard Hunt in Milwaukee and the Di Suvero in the Frederik Meijer will have made it all worth while.

L to R: Calder (with David Smith in back), Albert Paley, George Rickey (detail)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calder.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	739  Click image for larger version

Name:	Paley.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	740  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rickey.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	741  
Old 06-12-2004, 11:31 PM

Just a short note for the day. We visited the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Sculpture Center in Cleveland. There was a parade on the grounds in back of the museum which made it difficult to see the few works outside there. However, there was an interior sculpture court with a nice Clemente Meadmore, Kenneth Snelson, among others. On the other side of the museum was a sizable pond which had great potential for displaying larger work. However, things were pretty sparce. A couple statues, a Tony Smith, and the remains of Rodin's The Thinker on the grand staircase. Seems back in '72 vandals tried to destroy it and succeeded in blowing away most of the lower legs/base.

And we seemed to have picked a fairly slow time at the Sculpture Center. There was only one exhibit up and I wasn't able to weasle my way in to see the studios they seemed to have for making sculpture. Perhaps everybody was at the parade.

Sorry, no pictures for today. I'm hoping we can catch our second wind tomorrow. We stopped for the night just short of Buffalo where we're going to the Albright-Knox Musuem and Niagara Falls on Sunday. I need to gather my senses before visiting the Paley Studio on Monday.

Last edited by sculptorsam : 06-12-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Dreamy Sculpture Tour!

I am really digging the images and thoughts of your sculpturequest,
and can't thankyou enough for expending the energy to share all of
it here. It seems to me you are still gazing at the tip of the iceberg.

now I need a vacation
Old 06-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour! Pitcher plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
And there is an incredible carnivorous plant garden inside the Frederik Meijer. I just had to post some pictures of these very sculptural flowers.
Thanks for posting these, Sam. Those, or relatives, commonly are called pitcher plants. They attract insects with sweet nectar at the bottom, and have downward-pointing hairs on the inside, so insects have a hard time climbing out, if they donít drown in the nectar alone. I guess flying ones can make it, if they arenít drunk.

We have, or had, two local forms, both ground-dwelling. These seem to be vines. Our two local forms are very similar, except that one has bright yellow pitchers, and the other is maroon-webbed over white at the top. As I say, both grow from the ground, in damp areas. The pitchers are about 10 - 12 inches tall, and about 1 inch in diameter, as I remember. Havenít seen any in about 30 years.

Last edited by fritchie : 06-13-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; Paley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
After leaving Grand Rapids, we had intended to stay just outside Toledo before we visited their Art Museum and Sculpture Garden. But as is happening ...
I really liked the Museum. It has some nice personality with a very charmingly laid out sculpture park in front. The highlight for me was the sculpture by Albert Paley. It was an education. I learned more in that 15 minutes pouring over it than I could hammering away on my own for a couple years. If I see nothing else ...
Amen on the Paley. Iíve seen only one, I think, plus some drawings. One of New Orleansí best earlier galleries, which closed about two years ago, included the Paley piece with others in one of their last shows, and kept it on view in the back for a year or so. It also was a column, about 7 - 8 feet high, with entwined rod somewhat like this, but more complex. Iíll have to admit I never understood it, as with some abstract pieces, but I had to admit its power. This one looks like a version of a Greek warrior, with the columns, and the shield at midpoint. Or maybe Columbus on one of his voyages, with the sail at the top. Agamemnon? Keep these images coming!

Last edited by fritchie : 06-13-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:37 PM

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; Paley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
This one looks like a version of a Greek warrior, with the columns, and the shield at midpoint. Or maybe Columbus on one of his voyages, with the sail at the top. Agamemnon? Keep these images coming!
I believe this sculpture of his was inspired by the Toledo Art Museum and it's collection. The columns relate to the classic columns of the museum itself, the shield form was inspired by a greek vase and the broken/shattered base refers to the attached Frank Gehry building. In addition to the craftsmanship, this is one of the best "inspired by" pieces I have seen. Often artists are brought to a site to create work influenced by that site and the result is unconvincing; the relationship is more in the explanation than in the work itself. I wish I could have taken a picture of it's relationship to the museum, but it's placement made that too difficult.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:50 PM

Today was a very good day, much better than yesterday. I have decided that it's because I learned more today. Yesterday I felt like a tourist (perhaps because I didn't see as much sculpture). Today I felt like an explorer of the Sculptural World.

Our first stop was the Albright-Knox Art Museum in Buffalo, NY. A beautiful little museum with a very strong sculpture collection. In addition, there were two temporary shows going on upstairs. One on the human figure in contemporary art and the other of Rodin. (I was not allowed to take pics of these exhibits...)

The Rodin galleries were very packed. It is hard to know whether the people were drawn to it because of the famous name or the recognizable subject matter. There were plenty of human figures in the contemporary show galleries as well, but these had ample room to wander around. Those in the show included Gormley, Munoz and Mueck.

L ro R: Museum, Henry Moore (about 3 feet wide), Lynn Chadwick (about 9 inches tall)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Museum.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	749  Click image for larger version

Name:	Moore.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	750  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chadwick.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	751  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 PM

Some more from the Albright-Knox permanent collection...

L to R: Kiki Smith, Alberto Giacometti, Oskar Schlemmer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kiki Smith.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	752  Click image for larger version

Name:	Giacometti.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	753  Click image for larger version

Name:	Oskar Schlemmer.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	754  
Old 06-15-2004, 06:51 PM

Sorry about the lack of an update yesterday. The internet was out in our hotel room, which would have been good to know before I tinkered with it for an hour and a half...

On Monday, we visited a few large sculptures by Albert Paley before making it to his studio in Rochester, NY. The first one here is the most recent piece installed on the campus of the Rochester Institute of Technology entitled Sentinel. I couldnít tell what to make of it by the pictures Iíd scene, but in person it is outstanding. Much better to see in person and walk under, and very difficult to capture in a picture. It stands 73 feet tall weighing in at around 110 tons. (Yes, that is Mandy in the first one!) But I have attempted to none-the-less so check these out:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RIT.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	757  Click image for larger version

Name:	RIT 2.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	758  Click image for larger version

Name:	RIT 3.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	759  

Last edited by sculptorsam : 06-15-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:52 PM

After that, we went to the Strong Museum in downtown Rochester to see this sculpture. It has always been a favorite of mine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Strong.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	760  Click image for larger version

Name:	Strong 2.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	761  Click image for larger version

Name:	Strong 3.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	762  
Old 06-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Fairly nearby is another large work, Genessee Passage at the Bausch & Lomb headquarters. Another very fine piece and a course in quality fabrication. The rusted Cor-ten alone does not stand out from the background as much as some of Albertís other works. But from the video of the making-of this sculpture, I know that the company preferred a more classical approach. They actually rejected the first maquette for an all-stainless sculpture that would have contrasted with the architecture more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B&L.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	763  Click image for larger version

Name:	B&L 2.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	764  Click image for larger version

Name:	B&L 3.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	765  
Old 06-15-2004, 07:05 PM

After seeing these, we visted with David Burdett at the Paley Studios. He was kind enough to spend nearly a couple hours with us, answering (nearly) every question I had. We got a tour of the entire facilities, from administration to fabrication to storage and design. It was an education seeing work of that quality completed systematically and consistently. I believe there are 3-4 people in administration and 4-5 working on the floor. The archives alone contained an entire room and require a full-time archivist. To listen to the number of large-scale and high-profile works in the process of being created at any one time will make your head spin.

Albert was actually working at his home on the cardboard model for an enormous entrance gate for the St. Louis Zoo. It will be a 90-100 feet wide, 25-30 feet tall Cor-ten construction deep enough to walk among the elements, which will include representational wildlife. The completion date is set for December, 2005.

We were actually able to visit with Albert at his beautiful home after we left the Studio. He was kind enough to take some time out from the design and show us around. And we even met his lovely wife, Francis. Thank you again to the Paleys and David for taking time out to visit with us. The highlight of the trip so far, hands down!

The first pic is a maquette for the RIT piece, the second is the shop floor, the third is a display area in the front of the building.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Studio.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	766  Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio2.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	767  Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	768  
Old 06-15-2004, 10:21 PM

Conveniently, todayís destinations were right across the street from each other. The first is the Neuberger Museum of Art on the campus of SUNY at Purchase, NY. Works are rather scattered across the campus so it took us a while to see as many as we did. The Goldsworthy cairn was particularly difficult to locate. But, as you can see, Mandy just LOVES Andy Goldsworthy so we just kept on looking until we found it.

L to R: Charles Ginever, Almad Osni Peii, Andy Goldsworthy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ginever.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	769  Click image for larger version

Name:	Almad Osni Peii.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	770  Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldsworthy.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	771  
Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 PM

But the best was yet to come, at the Pepsico Sculpture Park at their headquarters. World-class works sited likewise. I have tried to gather a sense of the place with a couple pictures, but you really should see it in person. The first is Rodin with Kenneth Snelson, the second is Henry Moore with Arnoldo Pomodoro, and the third is Mandy with George Segal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodin&Snelson.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	772  Click image for larger version

Name:	Moore&Pomodoro.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	773  Click image for larger version

Name:	Segal.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	774  
Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 PM

Simply fantastic Sam, your pictures are beautiful.

I'd just like to personally thank you for the time and effort you've put into giving us a glimpse of your travels. I'm gob-smacked by the detail you're giving us. I can only guess that you're carrying around a notebook as you go.

Visiting Paley must have been awesome. Can you see yourself set up like that?

Old 06-16-2004, 10:27 AM

Thanks, Robert. Actually, I only have my camera and an imperfect memory. There's too much to take in to stop and take notes. It's like being at a detailed college lecture, if you take notes you're missing something. I do have a digital voice recorder I resort to occasionally. And I pick up every piece of literature available!

Mandy asked me the same question, could I see myself set up like Albert Paley in the future? I really don't know, but I lean towards no. He has organizational skills that I could only dream of, and obviously enjoys using them. I think I'd be happy with some help in the administration department and a well-equiped shop. But you never know. My sense is that once you get a taste of the larger-scale projects, they just build on each other...

Now, off to Storm King!!!

Sam
Old 06-17-2004, 04:57 PM
ISC Member

Sam, I think we're all enjoying the tour you're doing right now. Thanks for your daily updates and for posting all those pictures. They're all great.

I especially enjoyed the Paley pics. That man is just amazing, isn't he? He's basically the reason why I started making metalsculptures. I remember seeing his early wrought-iron work in a book about blacksmiths and thinking to myself 'I want to do that too!' Sure wish I could visit his studio some day.

Enjoy the rest of your tour and keep posting!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 PM

We eventually did make it to Storm King yesterday, but it started off on the wrong foot. We discovered their directions from the website were off coming from our direction. So, though we were only about 5 miles away, we ended up driving around 20. But we did eventually find it and spent nearly 4 hours walking around their expansive grounds. And when I say expansive, I mean it. The place is huge. Probably even too big. The park reads like the second draft of a great novel. All the pieces are in place, the tone is nearly set, but it just needs to be tightened up a bit.

One of the highlights was finding a show of sculpture by Chakaia Booker inside the main building. Fine work with a couple stunning pieces. Wish I had pics, but none allowed inside.

L to R: Di Suvero, Goldsworthy, David Smith and Noguchi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Di Suvero.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	781  Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldsworthy.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	782  Click image for larger version

Name:	SmithNoguchi.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	783  
Old 06-17-2004, 11:55 PM

Afterwards, we sat in traffic for two and a half hours before making it to the studios of Harry Gordon and his wife, Wendy. We checked out his new work, chit chatted for a while and made it out to dinner at the Inn of the Hawke. We ended up getting a very nice room in the Inn. A good end to a tiring day.

L to R: Harry with his work in progress, detail, another work
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harry1.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	784  Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry2.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	785  Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry3.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	786  
Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 AM

The next morning, we stopped by Harry's and his neighbor, the sculptor Dana Stewart. They were loading up some sculptures onto Harry's truck for delivery to a local sculpture show. We got a tour of Dana's house and studio where we found tons of humorous bronze figures. The large one in the first pic greets you immediately when you get there. Dana cast it all himself at his own foundry on site. The second is a number of other, smaller Beasts indoors. The third is Harry's truck loaded up with the works. Dana is passing by in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dana1.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	787  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana2.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	788  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana3.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	789  
Old 06-18-2004, 12:17 AM

The main destination for today was Grounds for Sculpture. We were greeted immediately by a crazy screaming sound as we got out of the car. Peacocks! Just wandering around the grounds. Very beautiful animals.

The Grounds themselves are very nice as well. Compact enough to be manageable yet complex enough to allow for discovery. It reminded me a bit of the layout of a department store, designed to ensure that you never leave. Lots of sculptures to discover in various nooks and crannies with both very formal courtyards and works in the landscape.

L to R: Charles Ginnever, Zoran Mojsilov, Bruce Beasley
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grounds1.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	790  Click image for larger version

Name:	Grounds2.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	791  Click image for larger version

Name:	Grounds3.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	792  
Old 06-18-2004, 04:01 AM

Astonish thread, Sam! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tour with us! Is it real?? Please Mandy post a picture with "Sam on travel" to be sure of it....
Old 06-18-2004, 05:31 PM

Yes, it's real Anne. And getting a little tiring. I'm hoping for a second wind to come on soon. 12 days on the road so far. just over half way through. And I have some photographic proof for you today as well...

First on deck today was the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Beautiful building and location. I even got to stand where Rocky did and thrust my arms triumphantly into the air...

It was nice to be indoors for a change. A number of Brancusis and some nice prep studies by Duchamp-Villon that were educational. We saw a lot of paintings today which was a nice change as well, though I still prefer a good sculpture by far.

L to R: Museum, Noguchi, Brancusi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philly1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	793  Click image for larger version

Name:	Philly2.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	794  Click image for larger version

Name:	Philly3.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	795  
Old 06-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Next was the Rodin Musuem a couple blocks away. Aparently it's the largest collection of his work outside of France. An entrance frieze with The Thinker meets you first, then a fountain (which was being repaired) and finally the building. In the entrance is a version of The Gates of Hell. (And right there in them you can find me.) The building itself has a lot of charm (which is a polite way of saying it's beautiful but small). And the works are displayed very nicely. Rodin was the probably the first sculptor whose work I fell in love with, so it's always a pleasure for me to see them in person.

L to R: Thinker, Gates of Hell with me, Adam and Eve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodin1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	796  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodin2.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	797  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodin3.jpg
Views:	394