Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Level 10 user

'Boring' lion has to go says expert

Is this art expert too arrogant?

'Boring' lion has no place as mane attraction says expert

1 Feb 2008. A LEADING art professional has privately urged MSPs [Members Scottish Parliament] to resist growing pressure to keep the iconic Lion of Scotland sculpture, claiming it should not be kept just because the public like it.

Richard Calvocoressi, the former director of the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, who serves on the Scottish Parliament's art advisory group, said the 20-tonne lion by Edinburgh sculptor Ronald Rae was not up to the standard required for the parliament grounds.

UPROAR: Artist Ronald Rae was furious about
the comments of Richard Calvocoressi.

He said public opinion should not be allowed to overrule "artistic judgement", and branded Mr Rae's work "lifeless" and "boring". He added: "I can't think of a better home for the sculpture than a Yorkshire business park."

But his comments were condemned by MSPs as snobbish and out of touch. Calls for the lion to be sited by the parliament have previously been rejected by the art advisory group.

But yesterday the Evening News revealed MSPs newly appointed to the group were sympathetic to keeping the sculpture once the current exhibition of Mr Rae's work in Holyrood Park comes to an end.

But in a note to the group, Mr Calvocoressi, now head of the Henry Moore Foundation, said: "I feel strongly we should stick to our original decision and not be pressurised.

"There are so many more interesting an innovative artists working in Scotland.

"Where outdoor public art is concerned, there is always a danger popular sentiment will obscure artistic judgement." ....
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Re: 'Boring' lion has to go says expert

On the other hand, looking at a bigger picture from the artist's homepage, may be this 'expert' has a point.

I wouldn't call it 'boring'. But it does not deserve to be the official 'Lion of Scotland'.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Level 10 user

Put it in a park where little kids can climb all over it. They will love it. And the sculptor should be proud to make so many "little" people happy with his creation. Lets face it. It is what it is.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
Is this art expert too arrogant?

"Where outdoor public art is concerned, there is always a danger popular sentiment will obscure artistic judgement." ....[/color]
Who, then, is outdoor public art for?

Furthermore, who, besides me, should be designated as the arbiter of artistic judgement? Surely not that arrogant art critic!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Level 10 user

It is definitely not an African lion. If Scots had lions this is as good a likeness as any. Kinda has a nouveau Egyptian whimsy thing about it. Fitting from a place where serious men wear plaid skirts. Imagine if they wore polka dotted skirts?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
It is definitely not an African lion. If Scots had lions this is as good a likeness as any. Kinda has a nouveau Egyptian whimsy thing about it. Fitting from a place where serious men wear plaid skirts. Imagine if they wore polka dotted skirts?
Polka dots? Well, that might make all the difference in their lion sculpting abilities-- why didn't they think of that?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

I understand the public in Scotland find this lion cute. They would love it when placed in a public park. But the statue is called 'Lion of Scotland' and placed in front of the Scottish parliament building. So far it is for short term, and the debate is whether to let it stay long term. The statue clearly does not bring out and represent the spirit of Scotland or any proud country. Also quite a few parts are not anatomically correct.

Imagine this lion called 'Lion of America' and placed in front of the Congress building. It would be a laughing stork.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
Also quite a few parts are not anatomically correct.
I must say that I think this lion is awesome. clearly the intention is not accuracy in the anatomical sense. While it is certainly not boring to me, it is indeed not spirited, or ferocious, if that is what the lion of Scotland is supposed to be. I suppose a park would be a great place for it.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Level 10 user

I think it's a bit too Disney for a stoic governmental work, but I too think it's pretty awesome for what it is. Maybe Banksy should decorate the joint instead, I'm sure he could handle the polka dots.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Level 10 user

Meow!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Level 10 user

disneyland scotland anyone? they already have those daft victorian romantic castles, -mind you i think if rab c nesbit can park a can of tennants special brew lager on the lions rump its going to stay. who cares?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

AND! And it's a big AND, as for skirts, they're a damn sight more comfortable than trousers. AND, they're a lot more convenient than pants when on rare occasions you have to make number 2, fast, now, immediately, this instant. No fumbling with belt and zipper that could precipitate a messy disaster. AND, theyre sexy. If you have good legs. Stop worrying about the american preoccupation with what is and isn't manly and try a kilt. I guarantdamteeyou you'll love it. Then again, maybe this is just my 1/8th Scottish ancestry talking.
Have a kilty day.
Lou
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Level 3 user

It is a strong lion, but not one to be feared. It has a quiet majesty.I like it.
The Scottish Parliament building itself has always been about controversy. Now they are picking on the lion for a change!