Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Re: Marc Quinn's foetus sculptures

I get tired of people whining on about liking the work or not liking it. Liking is nothing to do with it....
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
I get tired of people whining on about liking the work or not liking it. Liking is nothing to do with it....
What then? Should we continue to make unfounded assumptions and take wild guesses about Marc Quinn’s character? Funny thing, and this is true, he actually has no arms himself - which is why he must enlist the help of other people to carve the work. Additionally he has a trust fund the size of Belgium, he is sexually repressed, is on drugs, is off drugs, is being talked about as being cast as the next Doctor Who, is a woman trapped in a man’s body, once saw a UFO, and he invented Velcro (but the credit was stolen in a murderous double-cross deal). Lastly, in case you didn’t already guess, he was Zoomcity, who was banned from this website. Too bad, I guess we’ll never know if he has sincere intentions or not.

To each to their own, but I’d rather “whine” about what I do and don’t like about the actual work rather than focus my judgments on the man or the "honesty" of his process.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post

Exactly Cantab. These Quinn sculptures have awakened a very pertinent discussion about the possibilities of Art. Something far more interesting than a critique of these foetus pieces or anyones personal opinion about whether they fancy them or not..

I see the greatest possibilities when I recognize in a work or activity an absolute personal engagement in a task or chore or challenge that does not predict or even ask for an outcome. Of course though, there will be an outcome; and if you have been brave enough to endure a proper interaction, said outcome will not only be quite graspable it will become a new grasping entity...a new extremity, a tentacle perhaps, getting you one step closer to becoming the monster or variant or "New Adam" that you might one day become if you do not get bogged-down and distracted by the primitivisms of your own species' daily churnings.
There is omnipotence to be explored, tentacles to grow and profundities to revel within. And a ball of your own clay and your own hands can get you there. Your chosen medium and a laboriously accomplished need to find the most difficult way to NOT-solve a problem, will get you there.

Haven't you been there Cheese? I try to go there as often as possible, but somedays a bench-press workout is all I can muster. Oh, well, the Omnipotence is, after-all, elusive...or Bono and George Clooney and that Hirst fellow and The Queen, and so on, would have all bought it a long time ago.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I like Hershey bars. I don't 'like' Picasso or Donald Judd. I'm in an ECSTACY over them. With them, I look into the creative heart of the human mind. When I look at Alison Lapper, well, I've seen more inspiring chocolate wrappers.

As for people making unfounded assumptions about Quinn's character - if the work's anything to go by, what character?

God! This thread has become FUN! The thing about a forum. You can wind people up endlessly and not get bopped on the nose for it. Cool....

Last edited by Cantab : 04-23-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Level 10 user

Evaldart: I couldn’t agree more, but think there are many paths that can lead to this level of engagement. I simply do not doubt that Quinn’s hands are engaged in his work constantly - be it through scaled maquettes, digital models, endless sketching or the multi-hands production work that seems to have struck a nerve here. Additionally, I do think the conceptual development of a piece can have the same potential for enlightened engagement as its physical manifestation.

Cantab: I’ve known people who are orgasmic over Hershey bars. Like/love/in ecstasy over…just semantics.

I agree - this thread is good fun.

Did you like the Doctor Who bit? I threw that in for you - being in England and all.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Yes, I did like that. When you say he's being 'cast' in Dr Who, can we take this literally....
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Did you like the Doctor Who bit? I threw that in for you - being in England and all.
Don't forget Torchwood and that new spinoff; all of which my daughter is addicted to.

Last edited by grommet : 04-23-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Level 10 user

As much as I love Doctor Who and related spin offs (talk about a crazy forum-those Whovians are insane!) we just can't leave this thread here!

Did you know that the whole story about Self (blood head self-portrait) melting in Saatchi's freezer is urban legend. I love that piece, but I was sorta disappointed that the story turned out to be a hoax.

Also, anyone out there do sculptural self-portraiture?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Level 10 user

start a new thread, it's worthy.