Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Level 8 user

"an artist cookbook"

Okay, l have an idea, lets network and create a cookbook for artists, you-know those meals made from scratch the one ones that cost what was found in pockets or scraped up from beneath the pillows in the couch. The pastas, the rices, the fresh caught trout dressed with fresh found spice wrapped in tin foil placed in coals in the fire place. Just think, we know what it is to make something great from almost nothing its the artist way. I know your out there, lets make this work. lm looking for 30 recipes from 30 artists who live the life, Im looking for someone to edit, and most of all Im looking forward to possibly making some money for this here web-page, 100% of profits. So what do all of you think, can we do it? not much time involved, a recipe and a picture to go along with it, the more creative the better. Also a picture of ones work plus web page, a little self promotion never hurt anybody. lets brain storm and make this work. First lets make a list of people who want to help.
all the best,
Mark
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Level 10 user

Re: "an artist cookbook"

I love the Idea however I'd love it even more if some of those profits could be diverted to me. Count me in. A painter friend ( Jim Morton ) made what I called crooked pot stew. He'd take the one pot in the community kitchen which had a deep dent in the side and add every thing that he heard was good for you, a can of salmon, a can of spinach, a can of tomatoes and a generous portion of quakers oats to thinken it up. I never tried it but I'm sure it tasted great.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Level 2 user

Hers's my entry:

Easy bake chicken.

1 whole chicken (1-1 ponds) cut up onto serving pieces- (split breast into 2 pieces). Leave skin on or remove. Rinse and set cut chicken aside.

1 cup uncooked rice.
1 medium onion: coarse chopped or diced.
1 can of condensed mushroom soup (10 oz.) or (1 can celery soup.)
1 small can (4 oz.) mushroom slices. (Do not drain)
1-teaspoon black pepper.
1-tablespoon sage
1-teaspoon curry powder.
1-cup milk
(Optional: Add pepper flakes for spicy heat.)

Mix all ingredients together in a large oven pot or oven dish. Place chicken pieces on top of mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over meat; sprinkle with paprika and bake at 350F for about 1 to 1 hours. Serves 2-4

Substitute meats: Use 4 pork chops, 4 pork steaks or (1- 1 lbs): rabbit, duck, squirrel, possum, cat, dog or fish. Adjust spices to suit taste. Enjoy!

Jeff (weseye) Wesley
Artist, designer, sculptor

Donate any profits to this organization: http://www.craftemergency.org/
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Level 10 user

Surf/turf/canton chili-mac

1 can hormel chili (no beans)

1 package Ramen noodles

I can tuna (in oil)

2 tsp tabasco sauce

2 tsp soy sauce

All in pot with 1/2 cup water (15 minutes, done)

serves 1 sculptor, or 2 painters

This meal fueled my art for many years. Very high in protein and fat. The two things that really give you strength and vigor. A quart of your favorite malt liquor on the side takes it over the top. Damn, I'm gettin hungry just typing this.

Last edited by evaldart : 03-31-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Level 8 user

4 down 26 more to go, all we need now is names of people who are interested in helping, later we will start to put recipes together. We will need some volenters to edit. I have a few publisher friends that may want to help.
all the best,
Mark
Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Level 10 user

Hey Mark, I've got the recipe for fried rice that the Okinawan maids used to make me for lunch everyday after kindergarten. Put me on your list.

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: "an artist cookbook"

This brought a smile to my face. Reminds me of some of the things I've had to come up with during particularly lean days. The malt liquor is an indisputable "ganrish." Thankfully, it has always been cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Surf/turf/canton chili-mac

1 can hormel chili (no beans)

1 package Ramen noodles

I can tuna (in oil)

2 tsp tabasco sauce

2 tsp soy sauce

All in pot with 1/2 cup water (15 minutes, done)

serves 1 sculptor, or 2 painters

This meal fueled my art for many years. Very high in protein and fat. The two things that really give you strength and vigor. A quart of your favorite malt liquor on the side takes it over the top. Damn, I'm gettin hungry just typing this.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

Lean days indeed, that whole meal will run you less tha three bucks, and its much more of a gut-bust than you would think. Of course my wife won't allow me kitchen priveledges because of concoctions such as this (I have many) but I will swear it only did my body good.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

Another great one from the lean days:

Bacon Cabbage Stew

One entire head of cabbage, chopped

One entire package bacon

two potatoes. chopped

two onions, chopped

one bullion cubes, beef or chicken

One teaspoon Accent msg powder

all in 32 oz water, boil 45 min

buttered Wonder bread on the side and even a sculptor with a hearty appetite like myself would get two meals outta this.

Last edited by evaldart : 04-08-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM

I love where this is going!

I just made my "specialty" fried rice for dinner tonight. We usually get three servings out of it - one for me, my wife, and my wife's lunch the next day.

Heat some oil in large fry pan, add 1/2 cup frozen peas and 1/4 cup chopped onions (I never actually measure myself...)

Heat those up half way, move over to the side of the pan and fry two eggs. Break the yokes, season with salt and pepper, chop up good as they cook.

Add 1/2 cup diced cooked bacon (we usually cook up a few packages in a weekend, dicing and divying up into foil as we go), 1/2 cup pre-cooked white rice and mix everything together.

Add some stir fry sauce, red chilli sauce, whatever you like, to taste.

(Hey evaldart, I assume that package of bacon is raw?)
Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Level 10 user

Long,long ago before I married the most wonderful cook....

When faced with the need to cook tofu ( don't ask! ) into something palatable, I found that if you sliced it thinly , and then breaded both sides with nutritional yeast, and then fried it on both sides in butter or oil, it ended up tasting somewhat like fried chicken, hence...

Colonel Terry's Chicken-fried Tofu.

Fortunately, I married the most wonderful cook...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:03 PM

Wow, you're not kidding around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Another great one from the lean days:

One teaspoon Accent msg powder
Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Level 10 user

When left to my own devices, I keep it fairly simple, I'm content with plain Raman noodles and tuna with the flavor packet, I like breakfast for dinner, Eggs and bacon, some toast. I'm not against fruits and vegatables, I like'm raw. Hardly anything worth writing about. I have however made things for prominant chefs. Every time the founder of Donato's pizza opens his front door he grabs my door handles ( Two stainless steel recurve bows ), My thirtysix foot long illuminated irridescent canoe in four sections hangs above the diners at the number one vegan dining establishment in the world, People select fine wines from a number of inspired wine displays that I've made, pass through custom gates, stood at hostess stands, marveled at my ridiculous art before and after their meals. My recipes may lack, but my art might pick up the slack.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Level 10 user

And for a late-night calorie blast:

The cream cheese and banana PBJ

Three slices bread of your choice

make the peanut butter jelly sandwich as usual

add layer of cream cheese on top of sandwich

One entire banana sliced longways layed on cream cheese

other bread slice finishes it off ( pack it down tight)

Choke this baby down with a quart of whole milk and you'll make it to breakfast with no further stomach grumblings.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Level 5 user

My tuna-salad variation, the following ingredients added in amounts according to your taste;

*canned tuna (white albacore, water-packed, low sodium works best and has no additives, not sure about mercury content though).
*diced scallions including the green parts (good fer ya) or diced onion if you prefer.
*skinnless diced apple, (galas are good) and sometimes I'll cut up a few red seedless grapes and throw them in there too.
*diced celery (optional).
*diced bubbie butter pickles (find these in the deli refridgerated section of the grocer) I add some of this pickle juice as well for moisture to cut down on the amount of mayo needed.
*dill weed and tarragon (these two seasonings make the dish), and paprika if you like it too.
*mayonnaise (I prefer Hollywood safflower mayo).

-if you think it needs more you could add hard-boiled eggs and/or black california water-packed olives but this changes the flavor a bit.

-You can put it over salad greens and eat with or without additional dressing, or in a sandwich with your favorite bread, tomatoes whatever, or put it on your favorite cracker.

-This dish is even better the next day when all the flavors blend together.

-A quick dish, and costs just a few bucks to make!!

Last edited by circeart : 04-09-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Level 5 user

Here's a dish I learned from my friends, a Native South-Western Squash dish,amounts are according to preference:

*thick-cut slices of squash (yellow, zuccini and green patty pan squash are good).
*onion slices.
*shredded cheddar cheese.
*dash of salt, and pinch of tarragon (optional).
*splash of extra virgin olive oil not too much or the dish will be greasy!
*some will add a bit of canned corn to the dish.

-sautee the squash and onions in olive oil, add the cheese, remove from heat and cover till the cheese melts and that's it, fast and cheap and gets the non veggie lovers to eat their squash.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Level 10 user

Hard boiled egs in the tuna salad. Yes. I'm all over that. Thanks circeart.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Level 10 user

The sculptor should never underestimate the importance of canned tuna. Apply as much creativity as necessary to keep from getting bored of this stuff. I have mixed it with everything from pork and beans to penut butter and curry in effort to keep this economical source of protien in my diet regularly. While not as satisfying as red meat and not as versatile as chicken it is always a quick and direct solution. If you ever find yourself eating purely for function, as I do, you might try washing straight tuna down with milk. All this protien is long-term body maintainance and leapfrogs the strength and ability to achieve great things by purely manual processes. While your joints and ligaments might care about aging the muscles aren't so aware. If you feed them and challenge them everyday they will not only remain effective but continue to become stronger. There are physical undertakings you will never even attempt if you try to get your protien from tofu and bean curd...which is like trying to get your calcium from broccoli or fortified orange juice. I can't say enough about eggs either.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Level 8 user

evaldart,
A tuna milkshake. Sounds like one for a sculptor on the go, not sure a painter could down it though.
all the best,
Mark
http://www.pilatostudios.com
Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Level 9 user

I agree about tuna, and two of my favorite additions are sliced or diced jalapeno peppers and a spoon full of whatever mayo you like. I pour alot of pepper juice from the jar in also, this livens up even the most healthy cardboard-tasting crackers there are.

Also like, can of tuna

can of mushroom soup

boiled eggs

cheese

can of mushrooms

heat all this together, pour over rice or toast. My son and I ate many, many bowls of this. (not the Hubby, he doesn't consider tuna a meat.
lisa
Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Level 10 user

As an alternative to canned tuna, I would like to put in a good word for canned salmon. I think that their lifespans are shorter than tuna, thus less likely to absorb as many toxins as longer living fish. Not as easy to confuse with dolphins in a net if that matters to you, and tasty as well.

Glenn
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

Good point Glenn, salmon is an alternative as well as canned mackerel and sardines, and gefeltefish in a jar - But these can be a bit on the "fishy" side even for a tough-as-nails-sculptor.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Level 8 user

Phil Antidiet Phatartiflette

- 1 reblochon cheese
- 5 potatoes
- 1 coliflower
- 1 onion
- 1 pack of sliced bacon
- 100g of sour cream

Bake potato and coliflower 10 mn in steam or hot water.
Cut potatoes in slices
Cut onion in small dices
Fry onion in olive oil
Then fry sliced bacon with onions
Distribute in a oven-plate equally the coliflower, potatoes, with the onion and bacon. For each layer of this mix, put some sour cream on top.
Cut the reblochon cheese in two discs of cheese (cut in the middle of the cheese, not portions) and cover the whole mix with these parts.
Put in oven at 200 degrees C for 20mn (depends).

Feeds 4 hungry sculptors, knocks out most of normally constituted people.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Level 10 user

Birthday dinner at Arthur's Tavern in Hoboken New Jersey:

Begin with a liter of Bass Ale in a mug so thick I can barely heft it
French onion soup Mozarella draped-over hugely
half a head of lettuce with crumbled blue cheese
A basket of garlic bread
a 48 oz NY strip (rare but charred on the outside, 3 1/2 in thick, served with sliced potatoes, peppers, onions)
Its about time for another liter of beer
strawberry cheesecake for dessert

check please!
And I waddle home, bodily damaged by the excess, thank the heavens its once a year (But Christmas dinner is a Ruth's Chris)
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
ISC Member

I'm in with the tuna crowd. Here's my old stand by:

4 Can Southwest Extraveganza

1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can tuna
1 can (or jar) salsa to taste

Save the cans for mixing paint or holding screws.
Blame the farting on the dog.