Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Level 10 user

Strong epoxy glue for plastic?

I've molded and poured a figurative cast in sections and now have to glue some parts together(head arms etc.) and ship it to my foundry across the country for a production mold(s).
It can be a rough trip via UPS or Fedex and pieces have arrived in the past with the glued areas separated. The material for the cast was Polytek's EZ Flo- 60;a white hard plastic. I'll contact Polytek for suggestions for an appropriate glue but thought I'd check with you all and see what you come up with. I'd like to find a glue that makes the joint as strong or stronger than the material itself (like some wood glues claim for joining wood parts together.).

Last edited by Mack : 10-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Strong epoxy glue for plastic?

Since Easy-flo 60 is a polyurethane plastic resin, epoxy wouldn't work too well. It's better to glue plastics with something compatible; there are lots of polyurethane glues on the market. Gorilla glue is polyurethane, as is a new Titebond product, but they tend to foam up a bit. There are also urethane adhesive sealants and other formulations that don't foam and expand. Using some of the Easyflo 60 as a glue might work too. I think that asking Polytek about this is a good idea. But I wouldn't expect the joint to be any stronger than the material itself.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Level 8 user

Re: Strong epoxy glue for plastic?

I'm building a few Haida-style crooked knives for wood carving. The handles are glue-ups of rosewood and mahogany. I cant the groove for the blade out by 10 degrees so it isn't straight down.
I glue the tempered steel blade into the slot in the wood with polyurethane glue. I scrubbed all the blade-makers finish off with 1500 grit W&D automotive finishing sandpaper. The whip finish is mostly cosmetic.
Then comes the sharpening and I have not been too tender, sharpening or carving/testing. So far, all three knife blades are sitting tight.