Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Level 10 user

Re: 42-ft Equestrian Statue at El Paso

This huge bronze statue was first named Oņate, then The Equestrian. Now it may take back the originate name again. This was triggered by discussions to make a plaque.

Council may return Oņate's name to statue

02/13/2007

The towering figure of the anonymous conquistador at El Paso International Airport, redubbed The Equestrian, may get his original name back.

At today's City Council meeting, three city representatives who don't like the statue agreed that renaming it after Don Juan de Oņate would be a good idea. .....

That suggestion came .....during a discussion of a proposed resolution to approve of plaques recognizing the donors who contributed to the project and naming the members of City Council who were in office when the statue went up last year.....

Mayor John Cook said the question of whether the statue will be named The Equestrian or after Oņate will have to be decided later.....
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Level 10 user

We were just talking about what a contribution to the world the Conquistadors made to the world, in the name of their king, and Christianity.

In a previous thread I wondered aloud at the honoring of such people in just this way. If you read the whole article, it seems some city council members don,t want their names on the plaque for this statue.
They don' t want to go down in history as people that honored such a man that would do this (Taken from the article)>

"Byrd said to leave Oņates name off the bronze statue would be dishonest, but something should be done to depict Oņate more accurately, such as removing one of his feet, as he had the feet of native Americans removed "

I am glad some people are standing up for the truth, to bad this wasn't hashed out before the piece was commissioned. That said , I would like to add that I think the execution of the piece is truly a beautiful work of art. The subject matter is the issue.

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Level 10 user

This sounds like a 'mature' way to tackle the difficult question: How do communities remember and commemorate their histories, especially when they are ripe with controversial events and individuals?

Equestrian statue subject of symposium

02/22/2007

As the controversy over the city's Equestrian statue, formerly the Juan de Oņate statue, continues, El Paso City Council members and the border community are grappling with a difficult question: How do communities remember and commemorate their histories, especially when they are ripe with controversial events and individuals?

That question will be explored during Memory and Monuments: Commemorating and Confronting History on the U.S.-Mexico Border, a three-day symposium from today through Saturday at the University of Texas at El Paso.

The event grew out of the years-long debate surrounding the 32-ton, 40-foot tall statue dedicated to Juan de Oņate, the Spanish conquistador who passed through the Paso del Norte region in the 1590s. The monument, recently erected at the El Paso International Airport, has been renamed "The Equestrian" as an attempt to cool the controversy about Oņate, who some view as helping bring civilization and progress -- and others regard simply as a brutal murderer who ushered in centuries of conflict.

Memory and Monuments will feature guest speakers, public forums and an exhibit of images of the monuments of the region in an effort to create a snapshot of the complex process of memorializing borderlands history.

The event and exhibit will touch on not only the Oņate statue, but monuments and memorials throughout El Paso, ..........
Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Level 10 user

The controversy over the statue was there all along. An equestrian statue of Don Pedro de Peralta, follower of Oņate in Santa Fé, New Mexico was attacked by vandals who cut one of his feet with a torch. A much smaller equestrian but the same conquistadorian expedition. The current city council members in El Paso were not the ones who approved the proposal in 1992. The initial list and the order that the 12 travelers were to be presented has been revised several times. This is the second figure and is as the first, a male. The next one if there is ever another one, will most likely be the female figure of Mary Stanton, the founder of the El Paso public library, she was also a teacher. It would have been more appropriate to have her as an equestrian instead of Mr. Oņate.
While Americans are pulling down statues of the deposed Iraqi leader for his misdeeds against his own people, Americans are erecting statues to commemorate Spaniard conquistadors who have killed the buffalos until they became extinct and nearly annihilated the entire Native American population in an act that is classified today as genocide.
Renaming the statue from its original Oņate to The Equestrian and now the desire to revert back to Oņate is the wish of its sculptor. The general population resents it under any name. Once an Oņate always an oņate.
My own personal opinion is about its placement. It is minimized by the location, it is nearly invisible from the main street. Unless someone enters the road to the airport or leaves the terminal to head into the city, one can not appreciate its size and its monumental impact.
The original crossing point of Oņate along the river would have made a greater statement. It would have been easily seen and be accessible from both sides of the border; a location that was not yet defined as a demarcation dividing two countries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00392.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5400  
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Level 10 user

Oh! I didn't know this huge equestrian statue at El Paso has not yet been 'unveiled'.

Oņate statue’s journey nears end

April 18, 2007, After 10 years of work and controversy, bronze to be unveiled Saturday in El Paso

The son of the man who helped sculpt Mount Rushmore is unveiling his own controversial, monumental piece of art in El Paso this weekend: A 36-foot-tall statue of Don Juan de Oņate.

Billed as the largest equestrian bronze in the world, the 34,000-pound sculpture depicts the conquistador astride a rearing stallion.

“I think it’s the culminating dream of every sculptor to do a really important equestrian statue,” said sculptor and Santa Fe resident John Sherill Houser, whose father, Ivan Houser, was a studio assistant to Gutzon Borglum, who carvedMount Rushmore. “It’s one of the most difficult things that can be done.”

Houser was speaking of the artistic and engineering challenges of constructing such a colossal monument. But he might have been referring to political hurdles. Ten years in the making, the $2 million Oņate project reignited clashes between Hispanic and Pueblo Indian interpretations of history: Was Oņate, who came up the Rio Grande to found the first Hispanic settlements in NewMexico, a hero to be glorified or a war criminal to be vilified? ....
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Level 10 user

http://www.elpasotimes.com/search/ci_5671012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20070414__0415-f1-Travelers~3.c_200.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5854  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Level 10 user

Equestrian Statue Unveiled

Video of Don Juan de Oņate Unveiled
http://homepage.mac.com/claudemontes...Theater12.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABQex6RNLM

Last edited by marblecutter : 04-22-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Level 10 user

Another point of view by the natives titled " A Monument to Genocide"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcRSsCyypA
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Level 3 user

In spite of the controversy, which I don't image is too widespread, it is a gorgeous work! Exceptionally sculpted!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Level 1 user

I noticed in one of your older messages your knowledge about P.J. Mene statues. I have been given one to sell from a member of our church and know nothing about these statues. It is a greyhound looking at some type of nest and is signed. I can send you several pictures to help determine. Thank you!