Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Awesome Sculpture du Jour

There s nothing more insidious that the written-down definitions of words. Dont be a sucker. They change the meanings all the time. So its okay to bend a word to your own use, make a word better by stretching its possibilities. Make language better so the poor writers will have more to work with. We can do this for them...cause we dont need words to think (but we can think up words).
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I'm not sure what differentiates him as depicted in that clip from the manager of a novelty shop factory
What he "makes" is handcrafted and designed, individual "items" (or art). They are rather exquisite in their strangeness. As far as their value, well that's for critics, show offs, and art lovers to personally decide(I do hope all decisions are made that way).
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Dont be a sucker. They change the meanings all the time. So its okay to bend a word to your own use, make a word better by stretching its possibilities.
Every time I "git ya" its because you didn't see the stretching I was using. Ya fell in the web of the insidious logic. WHAM! Most of the time you do manage your strategy of "proclaimating" well, as a means of not falling in or responding to the traps of insidious logic. But words get stretched automatically when used in the dimension of meta-thought, thought about thought. Stretching thought, examining logic, is what you do when words are less interesting as play things.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 PM
ISC Member

[quote=GlennT;90725] Just to take an example of each that I hold in high regard, Bernini's Apollo and Daphne sculpture and the last 45 minutes of Mahler's Eighth Symphony.

Mahler's Eighth Symphony played by a full experienced symphony orchestra is one thing, but the same music played by the University of Michigan Marching Band is quite another. On each and every occasion it is played it will be different. Open to environment, the players, the culture, etc., etc.

Bernini will always be Bernini. Apollo and Daphne has always been one of my favorite pieces of his. Probably the first time in sculpture, that I know of, where time is frozen in much the same way as modern photography. That exact moment as Apollo touches her, she is turning into a laurel tree. Toes growing into roots, branches growing, leaves in her hair. Really fine carving in stone. One cannot play Bernini over and over, if there is another like this....it still will be only a copy. Sculpture is Art and Music is Performance.

Actually, my favorite music is Old Time Bluegrass.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Level 10 user

sculpture de jour....

Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Level 10 user

Non, C'EST une sculpture du jour.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Level 10 user

All the sculptures you post should be credited.
Evald, that's awesome! Where is it?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Level 10 user

Cheese dont credit - I dont credit. So whats that about, Cheese?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
So whats that about, Cheese?
Looks Cheesy to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Cheese dont credit - I dont credit. So whats that about, Cheese?
Not credited deliberately, of course. Why bother crediting? Maybe we'll get further without names, materials or dimensions - just responses to what you see.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
Not credited deliberately, of course. Why bother crediting? Maybe we'll get further without names, materials or dimensions - just responses to what you see.
all it needs is christmas lights

Last edited by grommet : 05-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
all it needs is christmas lights
Awww.... I preferred the longer response about desire and responsibility.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Problem is that it becomes a "see-who-can-google-find-the-artist" contest. Or "see-who-can-stump-the-artist" or the "see-who's-not-up-on -their-contemporary-art-scene" or "I-know-some-art-you-dont-know".

But I do like the idea of coming into the discussion cold-turkey, no background nonsense having to do with reputation, issue or regional bias...but SOMEONE will likely know of the artists and those folks's input will be tainted.

A great game for art students, though.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Problem is that it becomes a "see-who-can-google-find-the-artist" contest. Or "see-who-can-stump-the-artist" or the "see-who's-not-up-on -their-contemporary-art-scene" or "I-know-some-art-you-dont-know".

But I do like the idea of coming into the discussion cold-turkey, no background nonsense having to do with reputation, issue or regional bias...but SOMEONE will likely know of the artists and those folks's input will be tainted.
I don't see the conflict or the need for this to become a game. I think those interested in a particular image should simply ask for more info. You are are not so compelled - move on to one you are interested in. I'd hate to think folks would only be interested in a work of art AFTER they have all the specs.

Quote:
A great game for art students, though.
How true.

Here is another:

Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I don't see the conflict or the need for this to become a game. I think those interested in a particular image should simply ask for more info. You are are not so compelled - move on to one you are interested in. I'd hate to think folks would only be interested in a work of art AFTER they have all the specs.
why would I ask His Mighty Ambivalence anything?
If your intent is anything other than self amusement I'm surprised.

mark manders

Last edited by grommet : 05-19-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I'd hate to think folks would only be interested in a work of art AFTER they have all the specs.
Its like the folks who look at work only after examining the bio, education, exhibition, commission and publications list. Should we play guess the price?

Quote:
Guilty, often, bad humor and all I confess. Now, you're not claiming innocence are you Grommet: "all it needs is christmas lights"(at least you didn't say a ribbon).
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
why would I ask His Mighty Ambivalence anything?
Not sure which post (or failure to respond to a post) earned me such a lofty title....

Glad you "figured out" and posted the stuff on Manders - but do you have any reaction to his sculpture? I actually though a lot of folks here could get into his work.

Last edited by cheesepaws : 05-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Not sure which post (or failure to respond to a post) earned me such a lofty title....
to be fair, that's not really accurate. You weren't ambivalent about the link I posted, but that title sounded better than the slectively soporific or chronically bored titles.

And Joe, i was hoping it was some sort of symbiotic relationship here, mutually benificial, with a nod to civility
Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Level 10 user

I'm not scared to say what I see.
1st one is anti violence/war.
2nd one is something hidden or locked away.
Just my view of them and I could care less who made them.

I know I have seen the one E posted and it doesn't say much so its heavy or something.
Do i get extra credit or win a prize now?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Level 10 user

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitsu/1171860124/

a community reliquary whose relentless depositions are creating a subtle illusion of an inanimate inhaling, a bulging breath of life.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Level 10 user

I don't know how to interpret Mark Manders. Cheese, how about your comments. Enlighten me because I don't see it. I can't connect intellectually or intuitively with his work.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
I don't know how to interpret Mark Manders. Cheese, how about your comments. Enlighten me because I don't see it. I can't connect intellectually or intuitively with his work.
I can't enlighten you - only let you know what I like in his work - which includes a rooted devotion to materiality. He work a lot with unfired clay - among other stuff. The work I posted is most appealing to me as he presents a figure that appears missing or lacking in some ways - yet retains a complete sense of being - it remains whole. I address some of this in my own work and think his solutions toward that goal are smart (especially in this work's use of line). I like too the passages of tension (like around the neck) played against the raw mass of the (seemingly endless) torso. Not sure about the colored forms at the base. Not everything needs a clear read. They reminded me of designer label boxes.

I would disagree with Craig about this work being "about" anti violence or war. Strikes me as rather tender. I suspect the duality of interpretations is a strength in this case.

Just my two cents. No right answer.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Level 10 user

I see the entanglement that is frustrating, yet untangling would involve upsetting the literal balance as well as potentially exposing wounds from sacrifices made. So the precarious mess stays in balance. Such discipline could handle christmas lights easily.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I can't enlighten you -
That was the dumbest thing I've written here. How funny.

Quote:
only let you know what I like in his work
So true, and that is what I'm really seeking. Appreciating work requires a sensitive viewer. In this case I'm not bringing anything, so I'm not receiving anything. I've an aversion to manikins. Maybe its due to that early 70's acid trip in JC Pennys, ROTFLMAO at the manikins. They're just plain weird, but not as weird as their human counter parts. So I feel let down when a plain manikin is presented. It feels like its too simplified. I don't get that "complete sense of being" you do when looking at it. And I don't get the sense of "mass". In my mind manikins have no mass. They are the equivalent of paper grocery sacks in terms of mass. There is none of that "it reminds me of".

Quote:
Not everything needs a clear read.
I start yawning immediately when its too easy. But that's my bias.

Quote:
No right answer.
I like mystery. Sometimes I'm just on a different wave length and can't enter the one suggested.

Quote:
Such discipline could handle christmas lights easily.
Ok, I'll give you that one Grommet, but only because I'm not getting the artists intentions, and going off on my own.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Level 10 user

My take is similar to jOe's regarding mannequins. Someone would have to do a rather awesome job with one for it to not come off as "Variation #3,285 of making something weird with mannequins." I realize that the "weird" part is supposed to be the meat of it, but the prop or advertising associations along with the lifelessness of a mannequin is an art content drain for those who want to see some element of humanity expressed in the figure.