Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Awesome Sculpture du Jour

Between Jim’s space-mass relationships and E’s macho “strife and labor” approach you’d think it hadn’t been 40 years since the end of Modernism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
more like the angels from Dr. Who
Damn…I blinked.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Level 10 user

Dont buy into those "isms". They are for the Art FANS, FANatics pure FANtasy...the sedentary armchair-organization of everything in the world. An unambitious and uneffectively presumptuous compartmentalization of mistakenly (under)achieved notions.

But isms are indeed fun when describing antithetical academic or intellectual subjects (quite inventing them out of thin air). Its exactly the same as sitting around, bloated on cheese-puffs and thinking up band-names (we've all done that, right?). I vote for "Unfathomable Necrolyptic Gore" I'd go see that band without ever hearing a song. And I suppose if an egghead wrote an essay "The Advent of Post-processism in the Age of the Sheepish" I'd not be able to resist that either (since I have time for everything).
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Dont buy into those "isms". Thats pure fantasy...the sedentary armchair-organization of everything in the world. An unambitious and uneffectively presumptuous compartmentalization of mistakenly (under)achieved notions.
More lovely Evaldartisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Its exactly the same as sitting around, bloated on cheese-puffs and thinking up band-names (we've all done that, right?).
I like Arms for Gods .... featuring the smooth crooning of Cheesepaws - me-ow!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Its exactly the same as sitting around, bloated on cheese-puffs and thinking up band-names
Not exactly. It would be like making up names for genres of music like, techno, death metal, speed metal, butt rock, etc..

Quote:
I like Arms for Gods .... featuring the smooth crooning of Cheesepaws - me-ow!
I've got a couple cds, by Arms for Sleepers. No crooning on it or animal noises.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 AM
ISC Member

Lightbulb Re: Awesome Sculpture du Jour

[quote=evaldart;90710]Dont buy into those "isms". Its exactly the same as sitting around, bloated on cheese-puffs QUOTE]

cheese-puffism, Monochromic red-orange in color. Mostly space with little or no mass, however, many of them arranged in a grouping, provide a pile of mass with both internal and external space relationships. Now I see how this works!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Level 10 user

Yep Jim, I look forward to my dose of Cheese-puffism. It always gets me thinking. Yet I prefer the crunchier versions, varied surfacing, dense in sodium and artificial spices, stainers of lips, teeth and fingers; Cheese, you should be THOSE instead of the puffs. Puffs are docile and pleasant - and that dont bode well for the fire and maximum relevance of our discussions.

Me, I want to be the new 2nd Degree Burn Flaming Buffalo Wing Doritos - its an aspiration, mind you; something I'm working towards.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Level 10 user

Although perhaps early in the game, comparing how many works have been posted on the sculpture du jour and song du jour threads could lead one to believe that music makes a deeper impression on people, even sculptors, than does sculpture, thus placing it higher on the hierarcy of arts if there indeed is such a thing.

I think music is in fact a more profound art than sculpture when each are at their best. (I refer to music other than what has made it to the song du jour thread)

Just to take an example of each that I hold in high regard, Bernini's Apollo and Daphne sculpture and the last 45 minutes of Mahler's Eighth Symphony. Bernini's work can leave one in awe of the technical brilliance and audacity of the attempt. Mahler's work can transport one into a higher realm of experience and universal connection. It may be apples and oranges comparing visual and auditory, but I believe the level of overall effect is higher on the symphony.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Level 10 user

No, the reason there are more responses on the music thread is because its EASY. The connection is that of an enthusiast. Plus there is not the implied pressure of justifying the connection to the music with elevated dialogue. Music, to US is LESS important, which is why we can spout it out in a casual manner. Music is FUN, entertaining, and requires little effort to experience (the opposite of our relationship with sculpture).

Everyone has a taste in music - and its a dandy pastime to share this with fellow ants (there are, after all, plenty of good things about being an ant).

Real musicians/composers/songwriters would approach this thread in a VERY different manner. Less casual posting, MORE intense debate. Just like we do where matters of Art are concerned.

Besides, vision and touch are better senses than hearing. So no, Glenn, music in NOT top dog.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Level 10 user

Ugh - please, no more ordered hierarchies (yawn) of expression.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Level 10 user

cheesepuffism
http://news.uns.purdue.edu/images/+2...y-skoglund.jpg

cheese- your boredom is getting boring.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
Ugh - please, no more ordered hierarchies (yawn) of expression.
The unwillingness to entertain hierarchies betrays a suspicion that one might not have themselves involved in the "best" stuff. A worry over being inferior. You got to believe in yourself Cheese...YOU'RE THE MAN, after all. Right.

Besides, its all in support of whatever current unique intellectual condition you are pursuing. And that changes by the churning. Always churning. But if you're merely assuming the intellectual condition of the latest scribbler on the nightstand...well, appropriated "fairness" is ever respectful to all. Dont make waves.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

e, perhaps my most was not as clear as I thought. I was making a distinction between a high form of music and that which is for more casual entertainment, although it is true I started out using the number of posts as an example, and most of the posts on the music thread are oriented towrds what people find fun.

I think the auditory nerves are more wide spread in the body than sight or touch. I am a visual person so my inclination is more towards the visual arts, but I'm trying to be objective.

To conceive and arrange a symphony scored for 100 instruments plus choir and have it affect one as profoundly as the best ones do is a magnificent achievement. A composer is not doing much physically to do so, but the musicians are.

I find the creation of sculpture to be a more profound experience than when I have created music. From that standpoint I would place it higher, but not necessarily in other ways. The thing about music is that it stimulates other senses, visual and touch at least. Does sculpture stimulate auditory or other senses? Perhaps.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The unwillingness to entertain hierarchies betrays a suspicion that one might not have themselves involved in the "best" stuff. A worry over being inferior. You got to believe in yourself Cheese...YOU'RE THE MAN, after all. Right.
I'm trying to reconcile this post with your 5/4/10 :
Quote:
So you see Joe, there are no different levels of it; one individual cannot be more egocentric than another (blame Descarte).
Me thinks this is messy indeed. Hierarchies, but no levels. The ego arguments.
Quote:
But if you're merely assuming the intellectual condition of the latest scribbler on the nightstand...well, appropriated "fairness" is ever respectful to all. Dont make waves
. He never said that. Only you put up this straw argument. Critical(discriminating, not negatively biased) reading and thinking are very evident in Cheeses writing. Your puffy argument is based on puffiness. Puffery=egotism. Yeah, and there are different levels(degrees) of it.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The thing about music is that it stimulates other senses, visual and touch at least. Does sculpture stimulate auditory or other senses? Perhaps.
And I thought you belonged to the school of art that advocates the uplifting sensations. And now you say "perhaps"?

Quote:
I was making a distinction between a high form of music and that which is for more casual entertainment,
Well, since we aren't talking about sculpture, we'd better make a distinction between "serious" and "casual entertainment". You think "casual" music won't get you high and only "high" forms of music will?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
cheese- your boredom is getting boring.
As it is with all absolutes.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Level 10 user

and of the cheesepuffism?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I wouldn't know. I tend to drift away from these threads when the bad food metaphors start getting flung.

But here...on me....yaaaaaaaaawn.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I wouldn't know. I tend to drift away from these threads when the bad food metaphors start getting flung.
Ditto. Its a sign that some are in over their heads with the actual topic.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Level 10 user

I posted a link, are you too bored to look at Sandy Skoglunds's work?

It does not please me, be gone with you. very theatrical, but a poor performance conceptually.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:

But here...on me....yaaaaaaaaawn.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Level 10 user

[quote=jOe~;90736]And I thought you belonged to the school of art that advocates the uplifting sensations. And now you say "perhaps"?

QUOTE]

I believe in uplifting consciousness. My "perhaps" had to do with which sensory receptacles were stimulated. One can uplift consciousness if only one or if several senses are the receptacles are engaged. In that context I was examining if sculpture impacts as many receptacles as does music. Whether or not that results in upliftment in consciousness depends much on the quality of the work, but I think it worth considering how music by its nature may have a better handle than sculpture does on how deeply we perceive through our senses.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

So here is Jeff Koons on Money and Value. In his studio(factory): http://www.artbabble.org/video/jeff-koons-money-value
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Level 10 user

I dont make arguments, I proclaim....and quite enjoy the proclamation of others (after logging them in their proper order of relevance). Hierarchies.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I dont make arguments, I proclaim....and quite enjoy the proclamation of others
Quite true. I prefer insidious logic. Minds like to entrap themselves, and their possessors, unwittingly. Mental Aikido.

in·sid·i·ous
   /ɪnˈsɪdiəs/ [in-sid-ee-uhs]
intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan.
stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an insidious enemy.
operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Level 10 user

thanks for the post, jOe.
I'm not sure what differentiates him as depicted in that clip from the manager of a novelty shop factory. Perhaps it is mostly a willing media who writes stuff like this:

"The subject of art history is a constant undercurrent, whether Koons elevates kitsch to the level of Classical art..."

As though the media has waved a magic wand and suddenly Koons has achieved the level of Classical art. Poof! He's what I want him to be because I say so.