Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Event in Abstraction

Congats Matt. Very interesting work and they look great in the space! Get any bites?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Level 10 user

This is "Zig" and "Plowed" which are installed at the entrance of the building outside (10 and 12 feet tall respectively). Total pieces included in the show is 18. Yes B, there were bites - the show will be up til August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zig osq.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	13100  Click image for larger version

Name:	plowed os.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	13101  
Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Level 10 user

What are the prices.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Level 10 user

The wife handles the sales, I cant be bothered with it...she likes to get around 10 bucks a pound for abstractions. Of course I can finesse a better deal for my friends - which one you want O?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Level 10 user

I'm judging that to be about 30 pounds a foot making 300 dollars a foot at 10 dollars a pound, with 3 foot being 900 dollars and a 10 foot being 3,000 dollars retail with 50% going to the artist.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Level 10 user

Art by the pound--makes me wonder how should I price my pieces: by the sheet?
Zig and Plowed look mighty good there, except the colour. What made you paint it red?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Level 10 user

Mine are MUCH MUCH heavier than that. For example, "Plowed" is over 800 lbs (and this particular gallery arrangement is much friendlier than 50/50). Prices change depending on the venue also. NYC shows allow for an altogether different structure of pricing - which is one of the reasons that it is such a competitive market. I always have irons in that fire (I'll be dragging some stuff there this summer) ; In that less-thrilling and quite otherly existence where we got to keep the wolves at bay, constant exhibiting (widely) is ONE of the ways an artist survives. And, of course, opportunities beget opportunities.

I know, I dont like leaving the studio either, but Burger King doesnt deliver.

Last edited by evaldart : 05-18-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Level 10 user

"Plowed" is quite different then the rest. It is a painted construction of found object plows while all the others are as you call, "mangled" and twisted natural finished steel. At an estimated 800 pounds and 10 dollars a pound that's 8,000 with 40% commission leaves 4800 wholesale. The skinny piece pictured to the left of "Plowed" looks like 300 pounds, bringing an asked 1800 wholesale.

What type of scale are you using or are all your weights estimated? Stores and merchants selling by the pound often allow the customer to buy a half pound. So bearing in mind the historical and customary ramifications of selling by the pound, you have no problem cutting any of these pieces in half for a patron customer, correct?

Last edited by oscar : 05-18-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Level 10 user

No again...you are not able to see the steel stocks involved in those manipulations. "Zig" is over 500 lbs...and I have a hanging digital scale that weighs objects up to a ton that I use for larger components of pieces as I compose the sculpture (but also I am very familiar with the mathematical calculating of standard stocks by-the-foot or by-the-sq foot). It is VERY important to know the weight of works so as not to destoy your gear (truck, trailer, hoists, gantries...one's OWN body) or other peoples property (floors, footings, etc) upon installation..

Yes, Maybe I am the least expensive metal mangler out there...who gives a crap. Hah, thats funny, comparing the pricing of art to cold-cuts and sides of beef. Nah, that pricing structure is simply something that I noticed often complied, incidentally, with the selling prices of my abstract work. But it isnt really consistent...because figurative work is MUCH more expensive (my wife has simply noted that figures and representations are able to command bigger prices...thats HER business) and, on the other hand - if there is some imminent need to "make" a sale happen...the usual negotiations that happen between dealer and purchaser apply.

But I consider this exhibit to be all small work - a pleasant change from hauling monstrosities many miles away, never quite sure how its all gonna go-down. THAT is the source of my anxiety - the chore of the installs. But I have never worried once about how and why and for how much things sell for. I have been doing this for 20 years and have no reason to think I will ever open the fridge to see it empty.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Level 10 user

Eval, you also run a contracting company called http://www.wedgeworks.net How much of your "fridge" is filled from commercial work?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

Do you think you are exposing me, O!

Hah, "contracting company"! You flatter me. That is just me and my wife...I have always managed to bang-out sculpturally inspired functional work. The wife says it helps a lot. ...I'll be damned. Oh, and I have always been an adjunct professor too (various universities). More of that cursed money (but academia CAN be a very stimulating environment intellectually...priceless).

You want to sculpt...you sculpt....you dont count pennies. I make more of it than most (since you like to compare folks). And since the nature of the sculpture I make requires a level of intensity that CANNOT be endured for long periods, there are hours in the studio for other things (I hate sweeping and organizing nuts and bolts....so I make a coffee table or a chair or a spiral staircase...all easy stuff). And then, when I've gotten myself re-fueled and have amassed the nerve once again - I plunge into the rigors of aesthetics, undistracted by the drudge of routine or the tedium of schedule or the wants and wishes of anyone else.

Contracting company....wait til I tell her that one...Hah. Thanks for the link...you might get the Johnsons some more "business".
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Level 10 user

Looks to me that Eval has figured out how to succeed at both art and commercial work, thus double the skill and intelligence level of the average maker.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Level 10 user

In post #34 Eval, you make it sound as if you are making a living producing fine art sculpture. It's clear you are not. Whatever your wife wants you to do is fine.

I will say it does seem a bit odd this notion of importance of physical stress in art making, judging art by sweat over intellect. But I know you were once a professional weight lifter so as expression goes, it all makes sense I suppose. Seeing a few pieces of twisted, muscled, metal is amusing, a whole room tends for me to become insulting for the lack of content.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Looks to me that Eval has figured out how to succeed at both art and commercial work, thus double the skill and intelligence level of the average maker.
Right, Joe. The pricing method seemed odd at first but E's explanation makes it clear it works out fine, there's enough balance to take care of art and family needs. That's enviable indeed, oscar, isn't it?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

"professional weight lifter" no such thing exists...never made a buck by being a competitive POWERLIFTER in my youth (MUCH DIFFERENT THAN BODYBUILER OR OLYMPIC LIFTER). You have mangled my biography off of google better than I can mangle steel. Hah!

I coudnt give a shit what anyone calls fine art sculpture...because I have a very narrow view of what that-is/should-be myself. So its a good thing that you EXCLUDE those things that you feel are not worthy. It will make you smarter to be that way.

And, your primitive need for "content" and "meaning" is holding you back. Because it is within the principles of aesthetics that the REAL WORK must get done.

Last edited by evaldart : 05-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Level 10 user

I don't think you really want to go down the road of aesthetics, Evil. ...aesthetics > the philosophy of beauty ...... twisted scrap metal? ...really?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
aesthetics > the philosophy of beauty
. Have you been Googling again...dont believe that crap. Man, you folks with your computers are suckers for anything.

We been there before many times O - all of us here. ...the philosophy of "beauty" has NOTHING to do with something so sublime as engaging of aesthetics. You are likely FAR from prepared to enter into this discussion like the other times...but I wish you would. Because it is my FAVORITE topic (in fact, it is the ONLY pertinent topic there is). What you got this time?...I got a few new notions too? Lets hear it. Perhaps we can all be better for it.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The pricing method seemed odd at first
The strategy is clever. You have to charge commercial work by the lineal foot or hours involved. Good gawd almighty you could never figure in time when doing abstract art. Poundage works well in this regard.

Quote:
Seeing a few pieces of twisted, muscled, metal is amusing, a whole room tends for me to become insulting for the lack of content.
Quote:
aesthetics >the philosophy of beauty ...... twisted scrap metal? ...really?
Oscar, you do not see content or beauty? That's like asking where is the music(content) in jazz, punk, or hip hop when all you like is symphonies. When you use the word "insult" I first suspected envy fueling a negative fault finding mind set. Invoking philosophy suggests either a further defensive bolstering of that negativity or an actual lack of experience with post 19th century art grounded by a very provincial viewpoint. In any case, nothing more can be said if you don't get it, or want to get it.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

Part time artists don't have the time to develop ideas, themes, and thought, and clog galleries with meaningless drivel.

A merit-less philosophical discussion with someone having had too many gym weights fall on their head is boring.

I don't belong on this forum. The banality has driven me away before.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Level 10 user

C'mon O, you've studied your theoretical physics...you know there is no such thing as "time". Tsk, tsk. And in all these years you've NEVER entered into one of our many philosophical discussions (unless you interjected with schoolyard name-calling). And philosophy, or interpreted and delivered thought, is second only to aesthetics in the order of supernatural human potentialies.

I was wondering how long it would be before you melted-down again. See ya next time your self esteem is footed, O. We'll be here for you as usual. And you'll be back. Because compelling exchange is NOT easy to come by.

P.S. I know you didnt mean it...cause you're a fellow metal mangler..
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Level 10 user

E. - the show looks amazing! Personally I prefer the small to mid-scaled stuff That one on the spindly rebar table is crazy striking. Congrats.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Level 10 user

Boy am I late to this party! I was ignoring this thread for no good reason except the word abstraction might have got in my way, silly me!

Nice going e, its fun seeing your work having to leave its outdoor setting and try to looked all spruced up indoors, like an unruly group of children who sudenly have to sit in a classroom for the first time.

My favorite two are actually the seemingly simplist ones, "Zig" and the one in the left corner of your second set of photos, looks like a single piece of very thick rebar bent every which way. Both of these, especially the later, are very humorous to me due to gesture, similar to my reaction to some of Shorshvan's best works.

I was glad to see the link Oscar posted, because your constant careful seperation of functionality from art in conversation, which I have never bought into, carries less weight. You are like the fire and brimstone preacher who all the while is shagging the neighbor's wife in that regard, creating all that functional art. Although to cover your bases you would not actually call it art. Maybe you'd be willing to call it "art-like"!

I also have to like O's idea of cutting a work in half to make the "by the pound" cost affordable for someone. He actually has a good sense of humor when the foul moods and success envy doesn't get in the way.

Good points added jOe!

All in all an entertaining show and discussion. Hope some of those unruly metal children find new homes!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Glenn. I have poasted that link on this site before. And I have ALWAYS maintained a narrow (and ever narrowing) view of what I will allow to be "art" (as opposed to craft or "art-inspired", art-influenced" or "art damaged"). Most sculptors possess skills that they utilize to participate and add value to civilization which result in objects-made that they do NOT consider (if they are honest with themselves) art. Oscar has done plenty of it himself (restaurant fixtures, interior treatments etc. As many of us here have done and continue to do). Need I list every non-art thing I have done to earn a living? There have been many...and building easy things whilst munching a sandwich between those antagonizing (and agonizing) throes of real art has always occurred. Check the wedge works page over there on FB (cant believe you havent gotten any of those bulletins..unless you blocked me). So no, those forays have nothing to do with my growing adamance over art and function "feeling" NOTHING at all like each other...and thusly two absolutely different things. It is the most important thing that we artfarts can do/ consume ourselves with: What IS and what ISNT art....and its a slippery, slopey, sloppy and elusive conundrum...at least ONE of my pluralities is ever in that zone no matter what else is going on.
And yes, less-so in the abstractions, but I often encourage a bit of humor in my work when I can - if not just for just an "it only hurts when I breathe" kind of effect.

Last edited by evaldart : 05-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Level 10 user

Matt Nice work I like the inside stuff. Certainly shows who you are.

Hey O wish you would back your words with some pics of your "enlightened" work. I hope you have something more than a time machine.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post

Hey O wish you would back your words with some pics of your "enlightened" work. I hope you have something more than a time machine.
He might be using that time machine to go back and do some enlightened work!