Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Why Beauty Matters........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
I love this one!

Okay, I'm calling your bluff. Its you, the studio, and no distractions. Your pick, "Pieta" or "Raft of Medusa". I'll give you one year. Go!
I'm referring to works of extra-significant scale, scope, personal challenge and breadth of physical and intellectual capabilities (not mere skill...ABILITIES). The distracted or culturally immersed wont "find the time" or have the nerve to do these. Thats all.

Last edited by evaldart : 01-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Level 10 user

Hmm,.. I think that when we start talking about beauty, which in my eye goes fundamentally beneath/above/beyond constructs such as subjectivity or objectivity then we run in to problems. Sometimes things are fundamentally beyond definition, such as space or time and cannot be "proven" (as far as what they actually are) beyond what experience tells us they are from any given reference point. That is one reason why something beautiful for one person is not beautiful to another, yet we all agree that beauty is rare and or special and contains meaning for us as individuals. Of-course beauty "matters", but what beauty is exactly can never be determined.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
I claim, on post # 75, that "Beauty matters"! Otherwise, we would have been done at least 70 posts earlier.
Okay Glenn, like you said, booty matters.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Level 10 user

for sure, thats a tough choice...beauty or booty. Being far above both concerns, I wont stoop to advise. But man the regulars sure have trouble with this one.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

Beauty matters, butt I'm not sure this forum matters...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Level 10 user

Why Forums matter? lol.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Level 10 user

matter matters...and nothing else.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Level 10 user

matter matters first, all else is secondary, except when matter doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Level 10 user

Matter is energy
Energy is beauty
Beauty is art
Artist matter
Oh profound!

G
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Level 10 user

matter is energy
burgers are energy
burgers are cholesterol
energy is beautiful
cholesterol is beautiful
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Level 7 user

"Beauty is a manifestation of secret natural laws, which otherwise would have been hidden from us forever. "
Johann von Goethe
Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Level 10 user

beauty is also an important Australian colloquialism
as in: "beauty mate".. meaning... "that's excellent my friend"

also...a shouted "BEAUTY!!".. is the correct response to directions given, or advice offered.
and means... :" thank you for your kind advice and I shall follow through with your proposal"

can also be used to replace just about any positive exclamation.
(well worth knowing when visiting Australia)
Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Level 6 user

Beauty is love
i am a lover
i am a scultptor
i love what i do
and love doing it
life is love
love is life

i love being cheesy, but aint easy
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Level 10 user

As I continue to distill the matter of "beauty" mattering, I realize that it can be reduced and predicted to represent as positive instead of a negative; a desirable as opposed to an abhorred; a thing to be included as opposed to EXcluded: a thing that should be considered instead of ignored. The "tone" of the thinking that accompanies the notion of "beauty" is of the nature that it is fortifying instead of depleting. Its good, not bad. But in philosophical discussions of aesthetics it has no place, as it is a diluted term...too assimilated, stretched, overused and weakened. Not unlike the word "love".
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
But in philosophical discussions of...
Philosophical?

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes." Ludwig Wittgenstein
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

On Radio 4 (UK) on the programme 'great lives' they discussed Picasso and a part of it was regarding 'madmoiselles d'Avignon' sp sorry its late, one interviewee suggested it was a great piece of art but 'ugly' the other dissagreed-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es_20_Picasso/
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
But in philosophical discussions of aesthetics it has no place, as it is a diluted term...too assimilated, stretched, overused and weakened. Not unlike the word "love".
The Greeks have 9 different words for love and each is either slightly or even completely different from the other. The classic Hans Christian Anderson story; The Ugly Duckling was all about beauty of another sort and dilapidated art, statues missing arms and chips and fractures can lend their own flawed and beautiful aesthetic because of their flaws and not simply in spite of them, so I would agree that beauty by itself is too dilute, if not altogether too abstract.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Level 10 user

As I said earlier there are many reasons to create a work of art "beauty" is only one of them. But "beauty" can stand on it's own. It took me a while to get my head around this concept. For example, I have seen thousands of torsos. I used to think of them as unimaginative. Recently Blake posted a torso he just completed. I looked at it and thought to myself "Here is something beautiful" and as such rightfully takes it's own place in the Pantheon of great contemporary art.

G

Last edited by Giotto : 01-20-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Level 10 user

Instinct recognizes beauty as a "fitness indicator". ("This one is healthy") That's nice, but again, is that it? something to herald?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Level 10 user

If we are discussing human beauty, I have a different take than what was expressed as an instinctual response to "fitness".

I believe that we have multiple components to our being, one of them being the permanent individualized portion of God that is our "I Am" Presence, which is like a miniature sun and is found in the realm of spirit, and we have a soul which descended from that point of light to take on physical form, and in between these is the mediator, or Higher Self, or "Christ Self" which sees and understands our human consciousness and strives to guide us toward the light.

People have various levels of personal attainment, as we live our lives, pass or fail tests, deal with the positive and negative things we have done in the past, and hopefully fulfill our "divine plan" or reason for being. The more a soul has so attuned to their Higher Self, and identified with that Higher Self as their own human personna, the more the light transforms that one, even at the level of physical appearance. Or, the soul may choose to so deviate from a connection to that higher Self that the darker aspects of the human personna begin to manifest in the physical form. The majority of people are somewhere in between.

So...the beauty I respond to most is the beauty that is the light of the Higher Self shining through the soul and transforming their physical form with a radiant quality that reminds one of a purer, higher state that is actually native to the soul as its origin, but often long forgotten due to the noise and clamor of human existence.

There is also in some humans a beauty that is skin deep, a synthetic attempt at presenting a similar allure, but is not the natural beauty of the light. The natural beauty of the light is an expression of soul attainment, and is worthy in my opinion of being heralded. It can be found in the humblest of people as well as anywhere.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Level 6 user

I think as artists we should define our own terms for creation. Creation of art for me IS "Love" and that process is beauty, even if it makes you cry, even if it may be "ugly" Many times my "ugly" work is my cathartic pieces made for my own purpose, or sometimes they are not so sharp and obtuse. For me personally the art i do not like is those large sculptures that seem to be only large, like that was the only goal. The forms are sharp and uninspiring to me. That is my personel opinion, and opinions are like ass holes... everyone has one.

As artists our own work is our own opinion and we set our own terms of beauty, love, quality and relations. I had struggled in the beginning trying to judge others art work on my own values, and that does not work. Like in the way i appreciate Warhol but despise the way he did his work and the cultural climate he introduced. After him artists don't have to make their own work they can just direct but for me the process its self is the beauty and so is the life of the artist. I just can not judge others art work on my own values of this beauty i strive to reach for myself. On the bright side my clients appreciate my life, my commitment to doing my work and the organic curves of my vision. While even some of you may not, on the flip-side after letting go of these terms for judging others art i can appreciate the beauty of work that i just don't like.

"Love so vast,
love the sky cannot contain.
How does it all fit inside my heart"
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Level 10 user

Hey, why dont we language junkies just use the word "splendour" whenever we feel like using "beauty". That word has got some life in it still. Allright then, its official...no more sissy 'beauty', henceforth it is magnificent 'SPLENDOUR'.

eg.

Bespectacled and necktied art critic: "So Master E, please tell us why you make Art."

Evaldart: "Indeed good blatherer. Sheer'ly for the SPLENDOUR of it. And nothing more...yes, for the SPLENDOUR of it!"

Hah, I like the ring of that. So now I'll only be using the word 'beautiful' as an ironic, sarcastic or cynical weapon. As in when I'm referring to the latest escapades of ants as they try yet harder to surprise me with the amount of ruination they can continue to heap upon themselves.

"beautiful" I will say to the television as I detach to the studio for some SPLENDOUR...armed for the episode with yet some more splendour: a bag of sandwiches and a quart of beer.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

splendour... Isn't that the sugar substitute?
A most winsome pulchritude greeted me in the form of...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Level 10 user

Beauty is in our heads. It's all in how one views something and their state of mind at the time. We usually see with the history of our brains. Some can't help being sick and seeing ugly, some only look for the beauty.

Hey Grommet! Scout
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Scout!

i think I have a bootprint on my backside from someone only looking for beauty.