Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Is digital sculpture....sculpture ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR52 View Post
Not at all, Andrew. As you know, as a member of my Digital Abstract Sculpture Group on Flickr, I've been involved in using digital means to produce sculpture since 2003. Furthermore, my own use of it has been chiefly aimed at producing, not "cold geometric" forms, but rather, organic forms, like those I exhibited at Intersculpt 2005.

No, I'm not in any way condemning digital sculpture or saying that it is in any way invalid as an art form. I'm simply saying that, personally, I find the technology rather limiting, and perhaps that's more a function of my own skill level with the software I've used, but it still always lacked the tactile sensation I get from making something with my own two hands. It is that difference that I'm talking about here, and yes, it is only a difference. It doesn't mean that one medium is "better" than the other.

Gary
[It might also be a limitation of the software you've been using. Not that I'm trying to sell you anything here, but if it's the sense of touch that is missing for you, you should really try the Sensable haptic arm and modeling system. For me, anyway, it adds that tactile dimension back into the digital modeling process, and makes it a much more immediate kind of experience. I'm not sure if it's suitable for the sorts of things you want to make, but you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

How's the Flickr group going - getting any action over there?]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Level 3 user

Re: Is digital sculpture....sculpture ?

If a Urinal (Duchamp) hanging in a gallery is accepted as sculpture, that means anything you call sculpture is sculpture.