Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Re: What's your intension as an artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
There, I did it for you!

...of course who hasn't heard a bastardized version of this famous Joe quote:

Go Quote Yerself...(with "quote" sometimes replaced with another - more direct - word)
Cheese, I can tell you're a real sculptor and not just another egghead by the occasional surfacing of your delight in the potty-mouth and off-colour innuendo. Nice. It is becoming endearing. I wont bother you about those metaphors anymore...as you amuse yourself, so do you amuse others.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Level 10 user

"A cheese may disappoint. It may be dull, it may be naive, it may be over sophisticated. Yet it remains, cheese, milk's leap toward immortality."

- Clifton Fadiman
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws
There, I did it for you!

...of course who hasn't heard a bastardized version of this famous Joe quote:

Go Quote Yerself...(with "quote" sometimes replaced with another - more direct - word)
Quote:
as you amuse yourself, so do you amuse others
. That is exactly the spirit I intend. How could "Quote Yerself" be a mean thing?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portoro View Post
Now, the great minds and talents are associated with science...
Al Gorelioni,.. The great environmental scientologister will be coming out with a new polar bear coloring book soon I am sure.. I think even science has been reduced to politics, scare mongering and grant grabbing in the name of increasing your taxes, erasing your liberty and squeezing the life out of your livlihood.

I don't think the "great" minds are associated with anything anymore and they are the one's who pursue "personal" (whatever it was you just said) endevours.

In answer to why anyone would pursue Art, well.. What's left when they won't publish anything above an 8th grade reading level and even if they did no one would understand or buy it?

It's hard for me to imagine anymore great minds coming down the pipeline, but every now and then a hobo in a junkyard will throw you for a loop.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Al Gorelioni,.. The great environmental scientologister will be coming out with a new polar bear coloring book soon I am sure.. I think even science has been reduced to politics, scare mongering and grant grabbing in the name of increasing your taxes, erasing your liberty and squeezing the life out of your livlihood.
Well, "If at first you don't suceed, pull your foreskin over your head (pronounced heed)" - Old Scottish parable
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Level 10 user

All those quotes sound like Hallmark card sayings to me Joe, but if you insist; I think the finest of them all can be found scratched anonymously in your common shit stall:

"No matter how much you wiggle and dance, the last little drop will end up in your pants"..

As good as anything Samuel Johnson ever wrote.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Level 10 user

My intentions as an artist? To pursue the things in form and line that are intricately imbedded there. To give actuality to the forms that I only see fleetingly in the things themselves. To pursue Plato’s true forms. To evade living randomly.

HAVE A GOOD Christmas - pursue the form and the meaning.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Level 2 user

Re: What's your intention as an artist?

Because of my limitations, I focused my energy upon the unusual balances of actualities vs. the usual realities of existence. Being born with Cerebal Palsy and evolving beyond the limitations associated with it, I developed a sense of purpose and a rebirth and rejuvenation of spirit. Borrowing from ancient cultures behind the creation of Stonehenge and Easter Isles idols melded together with Alberto Giacometti's sculptural style and NASA's can-do attitude of the 1960'and 1970's form the basis for the optimistic yet actualistic view of existance that became known as "Davizm". A recycling of thrown-away materials and ideas helps formulate the balences of many extremes. True artists develop instincts that help them tap into universal forces- some that apppear as opposites that create a polarization of the heart ,the mind and spirit of ideas and processes as they appear and disappear from our awarenesses. We all have to determine what is true garbage and try to make something more of the scheme of life.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Level 8 user

Personally, all I wish to achieve with my work is life. Creating sculptures which look as though they might breathe or move if you turn away.

I have no mission statement, no call for greatness- only the desire to render the figure as art, no matter the subject or genre. I may have been helped by not attending art school, but rather learning from the masters through private study of their achievements and a desire to master the human form(which will never happen, but which I still strive for nonetheless).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPaq View Post
no call for greatness
How do you define greatness?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Level 8 user

I define a "call for greatness" as an ego driven vehicle of self-aggrandizement.

Greatness in and of itself is another matter, and I don't have a definition for you.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Level 10 user

Dont listen to the wikepedia...use your own head. "Greatness" is for Benjamin Franklin, Winston Churchill, Che Guevara, Lady Godiva, Ghandi and Mother Theresa. All those types who took their meager fulfillings under the illusion that their fellow creatures NEEDED them to prosper. Greatness is alwayd measured by DEEDS, not work. We neednt bother with it.

Ego, yes, now THATS a proper driver. But we have no use for comaparing ourselves to other humans nor taking our worth by what they might think of us. Instinct will encourage us to flourish amongst them...more than that our efforts should wish only for better and better Art (and not anything that THEY are asking for...they can have it later, buttered with your toil, their only hope for advancement).

We all here, individuals of special significance, can fumble through their language and hash-out some pertinences, founding-fathers all of us, unavoidably leaving a trail of crumbs for them to follow.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Level 6 user

Mother Theresa? Check out scribbler C. Hitchens for a chuckle: http://www.slate.com/id/2090083/

So, what's with the anti-intellectualism around here? Is there any reason Shakespeare and Joyce must be sacrificed so that Michelangelo and Bernini can live?

Evald and co. whatta doin' here, why ya gotta burn artists in other mediums at the stake to establish the One True Medium?

Is this a familiar story or what?

And the mate ratings, like Serra beats Einstein? As a game of rock, paper scissors, I'd say warping space and slowing time probably crushes whatever rusty tonnage richie rich can throw out.

The argument that language is flawed, or worse untrustworthy, because it misrepresents extends to other arts including sculpture. One man's purity is another man's contaminant; meaning does not remain fixed over time. Personally, the lack of specificity--in language, art, science--life--is what makes living so great.

Notions of noble artists vs their material, of eggheaded effeminate critics are as hackneyed as a barbie blonde. As words are imprecise, so are artists. The only way to make meaning of any of it through some sort of relativism--in the case of art--between artist, spectators, critics, materials, precedent, language....Anything less than this is a Fiji Mermaid.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Level 10 user

Thou dost protest too much about "eggheaded effeminate critics" (Ooh, I like that one).

No Gr, I am the primary dissenter, its not the general consensus here that language is a limiting and capturing tool used primarily for humans to identify and andvantage each other's weaknesses and to negotiate deals and scams and to pass tired moments a-jabber and to order your next porterhouse steak. No, I'm the only one who thinks those things.

But I hope that I am NOT the only one here who supposes that SCULPTURE and sculpture alone is the most significant, fulfilling and validating act a human being can execute.
I hope I'm not the only one here "saved" by the ONLY activity that draws the interest and attention of every atom you possess (most of those atoms are NOT in the nut-meat).
I hope I'm not the only one basking episodically in the illuminations that outperform campfires, bonfires, forest fires, scud missiles, nuclear blasts, moons, suns and stars.
I hope not.

Last edited by evaldart : 03-25-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Level 8 user

Of all the visual arts, sculpture reigns supreme, like vintage Raquel Welch in a room full of modern Playboy centerfolds.

However, to consider the medium the be all end all of all creativity is at least mildly retarded. Michelangelo vs Mozart, cage match MMA.

Pick the winner.

I call it a draw(hold the pun).
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
ISC Member

Thank you so much for that wonderful photo of Raquel, she was beautiful then and she's still beautiful.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Level 10 user

Mozart...but he just made sounds. I like sounds as much as the next guy, but everyone knows that eyes are better sensory receptors than ears (just like verticle is better than horizontal).

"Retarded"?...some language. But thats what culture does to an individual; stoops him down to the place where some perceived significance gets taken by the ill-labeling the other ants.

And Yes...thank you for that Raquel reminder.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
"Retarded"?...some language.
Thank you. My publik skool edcashun was phun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
And Yes...thank you for that Raquel reminder.
Not at all. This is my way of giving back to those less fortunate, and less handsome.

I wish only to ingratiate myself into the loving arms of the art world, and I have no second thoughts about posting pictures of sweater muffins and booty to make people luv me.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Level 10 user

At the rate I'm going I won't be able to see or hear anyway pretty soon, rock dust in the eyes making me fuzzy and grinders and ear plugs are just no match for the noise and studies on mechanical vibration and the effects on the human body are scary, so maybe I need to learn to carve in braille...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Level 6 user

3E, language is all that and more. But why piss on it for its confusion, knowing full well the elation it can bring when things translate?

I get the feeling many art makers here want--as the french saying goes--to sell the butter and have the butter too. Think of this rundown:

So you create but either don't understand what it is you've done or can't describe it because you're not a "wordsmith" but an artist. You put it up for public display to be understood as something. A critic comes along and tries to tease out meaning, tries to have the work make sense to other viewers. And the creator craps all over her/him. Sheesh, I thought artists got no respect...

As for Racquel: Freakin' give me something real with brains and backbone and terroir. She looks like a female Schwarzenegger.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Level 10 user

The REAL ones are the ones that you dont care to understand (because you are looking for more questions not answers), the Real stuff needs no translation because that implies communication (which is NOT the purpose of Art), and "public display? why the hell would that matter? Public display is for the "jobs", just part of your chores. Critics? "making sense to viewers"? Holy crap I hope your not letting all that nonsense screw up the Art.

And as the epic poetry goes, I'll take the icelandic sagas for good entertainment while re-fueling for the next session. Njal's Saga and a few roast beef and jalapeno sandwiches between sets of squats. And I imagine that THAT version of Raquel would fit nicely into one of those tales.

Doddles and past-times are fine, the secondary purpose of civilization (after coddling and indentured servitude), so there will always be poets and philosophers (effim eggheads).
Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Level 6 user

Not so fast, E. i spent a little time draggin' up sea creatures in iceland. There's no roast beef or jalapenos, but plenty of hįskeršingr, horsemeat and sheepheads.

You are right that squatting usually follows a decent repast--there's nothing quite like a meal of rotted greenland shark, sheep eyeballs finished with shots of Black Death potato vodka.

And, er, um, maybe i missed a few postings E, what was the purpose of art again? If doodling doesn't make art, neither does bluster.

Just so you know, readin' Camille Paglia in Easthampton could get you in a lot of trouble.

Last edited by grhb : 03-26-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhb View Post
Not so fast, E. i spent a little time draggin' up sea creatures in iceland. There's no roast beef or jalapenos, but plenty of hįskeršingr, horsemeat and sheepheads.

You are right that squatting usually follows a decent repast--there's nothing quite like a meal of rotted greenland shark, sheep eyeballs finished with shots of Black Death potato vodka.

And, er, um, maybe i missed a few postings E, what was the purpose of art again? If doodling doesn't make art, neither does bluster.

Just so you know, readin' Camille Paglia in Easthampton could get you in a lot of trouble.
Dont worry Grb, we'll be getting back round to the "purpose of Art" thing again real soon. We hit that one every other month. And I've usually changed my mind about it each time. So just stick in there and unleash when the time is right.

Camille who? Never heard of her. I hope she writes underground restaurant reviews (I love that show " Guy's Big Bite")...I've gotten real bored with the choices for fried chicken in my region.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Level 6 user

Re: What's your intention as an artist?

Paglia Cliff notes:
Camille pissed off quite a few lesbians with her proto-evolutionary theory that women create thru birth and that men lacking this gift compensate for it by creating and constructing society.

The fairer sex didn't like being excluded from the playground.

Philo-sophist Judith Butler returned Paglia's treasonous salvos in Gender Trouble with prose so tortured, so convoluted as to make E.B White weep in his grave. Butler thought she proved, like Daedalus' on Shakespeare's origin, that men and women are exactly the same. What she really proved was she can't write.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Level 10 user

What in god's name are all those numbskulls doing messin up all our hallowed ground around here for anyway?