Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Level 10 user

Re: internet; no longer the last frontier

The resounding theme , wether it is in my story , Evaldart's or SteveW's is that there was an "oddman out" in each. Somebody was swimming against the stream...which brings us back to what started this whole thread and the behavior of one individual. The question is though....Steve W... did you trade the bottle for the bible and which has produced more hot chics in your life? Inquiring minds want to know!!

www.tiredironsculptures.com

Last edited by Tired Iron : 03-22-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Level 10 user

No hot chicks,... sigh.. I don't get how a sculptor can be married or do much dating, I just work every day and cut rock every night and all the hot chicks I date just want to cuddle and watch T.V. and dumb stuff like that. Cuddling sucks compared to chopping rock and it's just that simple. Someday I'll meet someone who likes to get busy and then instead of stroking my hair or rubbing my shoulders afterwards just says; I've had more than enough pounding thanks, now go pound your rock.

P.S. I dig the whole swim against the stream thing and that's something I admire about oscar or any "oscars" of which there are many. That said, there's little need for anonymity today because people are desensitized anyway and no one cares who or what you are, people will like or not like you and so frikken what? I like just about everybody myself..

Last edited by StevenW : 03-22-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

ha ha ha!! hilarious. the part about the hot chicks of coarse
Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Level 10 user

StevenW- Not all "chicks" want to cuddle and stroke your hair... some actually are as creative and passionate about art as you are. Find one of those... I admit it will take some doing but search and you will find.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Level 10 user

Heh, once they meet me they do....
I'm cuddlicious or something!

I'm not worried, I've waited this long and if I keep waiting it will probably just mean one less divorce. Half of my siblings got married and divorced and married again and the other half stayed single, an odd mix we all are..

I never wanted to be part of that statistical demographic and so far I'm proud of the job I'm doing.

I'll wait until its right and for the right reasons.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 AM
ISC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljamesx1 View Post
ari, I am fully aware of the necessity of rules, but there is a balance between regulations and freedom that needs to be achieved, and for each person it is different. do you feel the amount of regulation, written and unwritten, in your life relative to your freedoms is at its ideal level?
CJ, I feel the regulations (Mostly the unwritten ones) all the time, and they do weigh a lot on me. I imagine most artists are somewhat different from the general population and have felt these rules more.
However, I am also keenly aware of how the far and near past have been, and I see this time, this instant for what it is. A passing fleeting moment. Rules change and adjust all the time, and I think that in the recent times (Last few centuries) the amount of rules have drastically diminished (Rules, not laws). I also see the rules changing all the time, but they change slowly.

Thanks to disruptive technology we have seen rule changes speed up much more in the past decade and a half. The new freedoms will cause some of the unstable and borderline citizens to go beyond what is considered acceptable and more rules will be created to reign those individuals in and keep society working within acceptable limits. Overall, I still think we will have more space and freedom than we did before. It is a constant give and take.

Ari.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Level 6 user

Quote:
Im tired of rules. necessary they may seem, they are annoying. and society just keeps em coming.

maybe I'm a dreamer, but I thought that this forum could be one place of freedom. where people could be honest and anonymous if they wanted. there aren't too many actual rules past the spam ones and such at the discretion of the moderators, but I'm starting to feel like its starting to get all ruled-up informally, especially evidenced in the recent oscar bashings. It doesn't matter so much that he sais stupid stuff, it seems amazing that we can't stand someone not fitting in. I wonder how many views we deprive ourselves of because people reading the forum dont feel like they belong here.

well I wont propose any rules against rules, so rule it up how you like, forum goers...

thoughts?
Thoughts?

Heres one, how do you feel when you walk into a public bathroom and some sick bastard has sprayed diarrhea all over the bowls? You just going to walk in, sit right down in the goddamn mess and try and go about your business? Would you expect me to? Theres a reason this forum is moderated, the same reason janitors carry MOPS, to clean up the MESS so the rest of us dont have to SWIM in it.

If I had seen the schoolyard bullshit going on in this forum when i first discovered it four years ago, i would have turned right around and walked out. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar
We all need to get a life! WE ARE ALL LOSERS! Just where is the likes of Maya Lin, or Puryear?, or Olenburg, or...fricken any famous sculptor? They aint on this board!! Got it? You can posture all you want. If you are reading this, you are a loser!
Youve got some nerve to say that pal, everyone around you has contributed to this site with pictures, stories, advice and support and youve done NOTHING but get in our way. I dont give a SHIT about your bipolarism, do you think youre the only one who's ever suffered? Wow, oscar is bipolar? Lets start a bottle drive! How about a fan club? Hell, lets all do a four-part CBC documentary about OSCAR and broadcast all your turgid, sanctimonious opinions to the whole arts community! Lets all stop everything we're doing and pay attention to OSCAR while this whole forum and all Russ Rubert's hard work goes right down the toilet. He's got the patience of a saint; with this dipshit three mouseclicks away from being banned for life running his mouth for over 200+ posts while the rest of you roundtable over first amendment rights and dating angst like some half-digested john hughes script.

NO WONDER Maya Lin and Martin Puryear arent wasting their time posting here, I bet theyre just DYING to know what orifice oscar wants them to shove their thumbs into. This thread is a disgrace cooljamesx1, I cant believe you would be disrespectful enough to spit in the eyes of the person who built this site by rallying support for someone who does nothing but tear it down. Heres an idea, why dont you take your buddy oscar and make your own little sculpture forum with all the explosive profanity and pointless derision you can stuff it with, and see how easy it is to grow this kind of user base. You show us what kind of web resource is possible in your "lawless frontier". Because I know if i wanted to publicize a $250,000 juried call for submissions, the first place id want to post it is on the cutting-room floor of the jerry springer show!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Level 10 user

Theres not much more threatening to real youth than rules. I don't believe CJ is standing up for Oscar, specifically, he's merely voicing his concern that we are regarding ourselves as exclusive. Maybe we are, maybe we arent. We have seen Cj grow tremendously on this forum the past couple years as he moved his advanced interest in sculpture up from one level to thenext. He is experiencing a surge of creative confidence that allows for some of its overflow to be applied outside himself...as an advocate or champion. Perceived injusteces are everywhere and an unjaded intelligence, such as CJ's, is voicing and activating. It can't be squashed by us doomsayers - it may just run its course, or it may steamroll into a motivation that directs his life. At any rate, its NOT a bad thing.

Puryear, Lin and Oldenburg have made plenty of stinkers. like most of us...so what.

And our valued moderators are not Robocops as much as they are also not janitors with mops. They are our peers, intrusted by their good sense (and facility with the computer) to steer maligned ativities toward the door.

Most of us are here to exchange views and opinions, drawn together by similar career pursuits, and to use some down-time in a positive and often entertaining fashion...frictions arise, personalities clash, beliefs butt-heads - kinda like any damn group of people.

I don't give a crap whether or not Mister Moneybags shows up here with his 250,000 commission, I'd much rather read another one of Glenn's rants, or Allens undecipherable profundities. By the same token, I don't give a crap if someone shows up now and then to call me a loser or utter a "bite me". There could be something fresh about it.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Level 10 user

Wow! What great arguments from all sides! Interesting thing happening here.

What a trial for the moderators...what is off topic on this thread?

People from all over the globe are contemplating this thread as I write this.

What an amazing accomplishment this forum and Oscar have created.

I myself am so busy with thoughts about this that I walked away, got my first cup of coffee and had a smoke. All while my wife is busy hiding Easter eggs for the kids and the sun is rising I am completely absorbed in thoughts about this thread. Entertaining? You bet! Distracting ? Very much! To the point where I am going now to get my second cup of coffee and try to get back to my life and think about what avenue of sculpture I want to pursue today and get on with life! May the force of creativity be with you! Good day!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
where is the lawless frontier of today?
It is filled with endless spam.

Thank goodness we have enough “rules” that we aren't forced to wade through 200-product placement posts for "enhancement" products in order to read an outraged response to an off-topic slander!

I was pleased to see the Mods pop up in that Manic thread. I moved, and still support, a posted (if brief) code of conduct to help reduce the vigilante moderation that can side track a good thread into the realm of off-off-topic name-calling. By clearly posting a few agreed upon courtesies (the ones 99.7% of us already follow) a user could simply report clear violations to the mods and move on with the conversation. In the end, a simple move like this might keep a more expansive (and restrictive) list of “rules” at bay - for a while.

CP

Last edited by cheesepaws : 03-23-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Level 10 user

having seen a few other sites i find thisun amasingly good. as for oscar, i have never been offended in any way. he is like the guy who turns up at your private view who dominates your attention when u want to talk to an influential or collector. little knowing that you are as poor as he is and just dealing with it in a different way... and this is not a PV....
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Iron View Post

I am going now to get my second cup of coffee and try to get back to my life and think about what avenue of sculpture I want to pursue today !

Make that two of us.

A whole day off with nothing to do but make dust and noise, god I love this planet!

Happy Easter! Or Happy Anti-Easter! Or just plain old Happy!

Hmm, The Anti-Christ, the Anti-Claus, The Anti-Bunny?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Level 6 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
I don't give a crap if someone shows up now and then to call me a loser or utter a "bite me". There could be something fresh about it.
Speak for yourself, I used to think this was the classiest forum on my favourites list until i came back from almost a years absence, Every fucking day since, ive been hit by one stupid pointless argument after another started by oscar like a fart in my face. ONE person. Theres nothing fresh about it, its FUCKING DISGUSTING and im sick and tired of looking at it. Somebody send me a postcard if someone ever finds the balls to do something about it, I am outta here. Happy fucking easter.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

Damn, It just may be contagious!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
ISC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steponmebbbboom View Post
Speak for yourself, I used to think this was the classiest forum on my favourites list until i came back from almost a years absence, Every fucking day since, ive been hit by one stupid pointless argument after another started by oscar like a fart in my face. ONE person. Theres nothing fresh about it, its FUCKING DISGUSTING and im sick and tired of looking at it. Somebody send me a postcard if someone ever finds the balls to do something about it, I am outta here. Happy fucking easter.
Steponmebbbbbbboom has a very valid point, if stated in a rather ineloquent manner similar to those he complains about. I find myself staying away for longer and longer periods, then visiting here again. I am in search of intelligent and well thought out conversations. I find those, but I also find an ever increasing amount of noise. Eventually, I find it unpalatable to keep on reading and go away for a while. I am, however addicted to the thoughts of other sculptors so I always come back and search and hope. I really think that the situation is getting worse. My guess is that the increase in availability of high speed access makes it easier for more people to find this site and the lack of filtering allows the signal to noise ratio to decrease. I think it is fine for our youth to show their ignorance but maybe we need to pay our moderators a little more ;-) to keep the forum focused and working at a high intellect level. Or, perhaps we could form a forum with restricted access for verified sculptors.

Ari.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Level 10 user

perhaps we could form a forum with restricted access for verified sculptors.

Ari.

I like the sounds of that! So simple...so easy.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Level 10 user

I can't imagine anyone but a sculptor bothering to be here, aside from your occasional craftsperson. Not sure I would want to be verified, certified and U.S. inspected. Would there be forging tryouts? Or anatomy tests? Or a note from your gallery? I think that this is exactly what CJ was railing against.
But we could have a party at MY house some day, if we start saving our pennies for travel. A sculptors only bbq - I'll be the judge (since its my house).
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Level 10 user

All of this pro/con opposing positions just goes to show you that two widely different or opposite ideas can both be "true".. Irony is a main ingredient in creative thought and if you aren't arguing with yourself first, how can you argue with someone else? It goes against the grain of all critical thinking to suppose that your own view is the only "true" one.

Should Oscar be banished like they did in the old days? Yes! Should Oscar be able to speak his mind with anonymity? Yes! It's not always so black and white as we'd like it to be...

Bottom line, if a mod closes a thread great, if a mod lets it run, great, if someone screws up, great, if someone adds something truly profound, great. Personally, I do and don't feel the dilapidation of the site like some others and I do and don't feel that it is evolving, just like anything else does or doesn't.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
where is the lawless frontier of today?
Looking for the wide open uncivalized spaces, the six gun toten rough riders of yesteryear, no limits, no outside rules? Look inside your head dude, you can boldly go where you have never gone before. And when you are on your way, (no one actually ever gets there), post a few lines, that is what I do and it seems that I am occasionally considered entertaining and once and a while insightful.
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
I can't imagine anyone but a sculptor bothering to be here, aside from your occasional craftsperson. Not sure I would want to be verified, certified and U.S. inspected. Would there be forging tryouts? Or anatomy tests? Or a note from your gallery? I think that this is exactly what CJ was railing against.
But we could have a party at MY house some day, if we start saving our pennies for travel. A sculptors only bbq - I'll be the judge (since its my house).
How about a note from the dentist that says it looks like I've been eating metal or from the cashier at the grocer's affirming that I sure ACT like a lunatic artist, or from the department of public works stating that person in question has more tonnage than them, indicating intent to construct?
BBQ, Yeah, I have a great recipe for vegetarian pinecone and slag salad.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Level 10 user

Loved and hated, story of my life.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Level 10 user

loved is a strong word
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Level 10 user

The funny thing about love and hate is that contrary to popular belief they are not opposites at all. The opposite of love is ambivalence and in that sense, hate is very much like love and a normal part of the cycle of love.

Better to be loved and hated than ignored altogether...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
How about a note from the dentist that says it looks like I've been eating metal or from the cashier at the grocer's affirming that I sure ACT like a lunatic artist, or from the department of public works stating that person in question has more tonnage than them, indicating intent to construct?
BBQ, Yeah, I have a great recipe for vegetarian pinecone and slag salad.
As long as its one of them habanero pine cones - cause you know that slag needs help - kinda bland.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Level 10 user

I'm not huge on rules but do like to see a bit of occasional common sense used. I think "Don't pee into the wind wind" works for me. But hey, if you really need to go.....then by all means knock yourself out.