Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Level 3 user

Gallery commisions on sales

Hi,
I was wondering what the usual percentage that galleries take on bronze sculpture is? I am about to show at a gallery that takes 40% and I find that high for bronze when I figure the profit margin when all is said and done.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Level 4 user

Re: Gallery commisions on sales

Hi AJ well here in UK 40% is pretty much normal. In london can be much higher unless you are a name sculptor...tuff init!

Thats capitalism for you...but they have to make a living too!

All the best

John
Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Level 10 user

I have never dealt with a reputable gallery that took less than 50%.

Your profit margin is a whole separate issue.

If you cannot get a price for your work that covers your expenses, you are not alone, but it certainly doesnt affect the expenses a gallery will have.

A good gallery earns every penny of their 50%, paying for their space, overhead, and staff, doing mailings, hosting openings, and building a reputation over the years. They should know the local market, have relationships with collectors and museums, and take your work to art fairs.

A bad gallery is not worth showing with- but they still want 50%.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Level 10 user

I get 60% with a non-profit gallery in Sedona. So far, so good.
The checks have been on time. However, I am a little concerned that after good sales over the last 6 months, my work was moved from the main gallery to a stairwell area connected to the main gallery with display platforms between the stairs flights . There is other art in this area, but less traffic. My sales have been "0" since then.
I'd happily take 50% just to get it moved back to the main gallery again.
Hence, there remains an issue to be resolved.

Mark
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Level 3 user

Thank you to all who answered this question. I really appreciate hearing from you.
I guess I should feel lucky as I am hearing that in the U.K. and in some galleries here even with the bronzes they take 50% My gallery takes 50% from the painters but not the bronze sculptors because of the cost to us. I figured out the profit margin and the gallery will get twice the profit as I am but I still make money over costs aobut $500 after expenses and commission per piece for a piece selling at $2,500 that is for a limited edition bronze. I guess that is just the way it is and I do understand that galleries, expecially good ones earn their take it's just hard to to see that after all the work hours and expense you really don't end up with all that much profit with bronzes. i guess it's the same with the galleries.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.
Hi,
I was wondering what the usual percentage that galleries take on bronze sculpture is? I am about to show at a gallery that takes 40% and I find that high for bronze when I figure the profit margin when all is said and done.
In france, the worse is one third for the foundry, one third for the artist and the rest for the gallery.
It is only fair isn't it ?