Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Level 10 user

Re: The Role of the Artist

Quote:
maybe they just unlocked the language
Maybe this sums up the entire post and makes everything since the 60's or so interesting?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Level 10 user

I always thought that the role of the artist in society was to pioneer the bad nieghborhoods in the inner cities so that the developers could later kick them out and build fancy conos...Actually, roles seem to be assumed individually. What each of us asks from his/her art differs from one person to the next. What is asked of art by others differs from one person to the next. When someone asks for your art and you sell it to them bills get paid, cars get repaired and cavities get filled. Sometimes people are awed and inspired by the artist, experiencing revelations, while other times people are revolted . In all, artmaking is quite rational and sane in comparison to the beastial devourings, the trifling preoccupations and the numbing monotonies of most human efforts. Of course I enjoy the devourings, triflings and monotonies as much as the next guy...but I have Art to keep me sane.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 AM

Excellent post Evaldart! By the way, it interests me that art keeps so many people sane.
By the way(2), I spent a year at Smith College, in Northampton, in the 1970s. Not so far from you, I think.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Level 2 user

When it starts to rain shit, art is the best umbrella.
-Mario Vargas Llosa
(Aunt Julia)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Level 10 user

Cantab, Smith is 4 miles from my house, I was there this past weekend in my role as father with the kids at the botanical gardens. Very nice art museum there too, recently hosting a very inspiring Archipenko exhibit. In another life when I was exploring a role as literary academic I spent six months in London writing a paper on The Bloomsbury Group (actually 2 months in the National Gallery two months at the pub and two months writing...I was young). It was then that I decided that I may not have been smart enough and I definitely wasn't sedentary enough to live that life. I raced back to Texas and enlisted my services to the Art Dept... This thread has served to stimulate much inward evaluation...a toilsome activity that I usually avoid by distracting myself with a hammer or a torch...or a soiled diaper.

Last edited by evaldart : 11-30-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Level 10 user

A piece of art is a child that does not need diapering, and the molding actually takes.

Thatch
Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 AM

Evaldart – yes, I used to visit a friend in Easthampton, and I remember the lovely grounds of the college well.

Another coincidence: your research on the Bloomsbury group. I was educated as an undergraduate at Sussex University, quite close to the Charleston farmhouse, and Berwick church, where Duncan Grant et. al. worked on some fine modernist murals. Each year I also do a pilgrimage with my wife to the university, and to this wonderful little church. Do you still have the essay you worked on?

Check this site for the farmhouse and church – interesting stuff. (http://www.charleston.org.uk/). And if you’d like my digital photo collection of the church murals, offer your address and I’ll send you a CD (sambell@inbox.com).

Sam
Old 12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Level 10 user

This thread --with all it's variations-- has been one of the better reads produced here and I've enjoyed meandering through all the roles and rules that have been presented. I think the role of the artist in contemporary times is as varied as the sculpture made by the people who post on these message boards. I encountered two things this week that reminded me of this thread.

The first is excerpted from "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams,
where I swapped out her word real with an artist.

"An artist isnít how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you.
When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you,
then you become an artist."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.
"When you are an artist you donít mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesnít happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time.
Thatís why it doesnít happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.
Generally, by the time you are an artist, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose
in your joints and very shabby. But these things donít matter at all, because once you are an artist you canít be ugly,
except to people who donít understand."

The second is online in a short interview with Fernando Botero discussing his Abu Ghraib images where he says, "I believe that I have special responsibilities as an artist, and I wanted to say something about it. The artist has the ability to make invisible things visible."

Many years ago I was at a lecture given by a gallery director from Ireland who said,
"Once you become an artist, you may never have a vacation again."
Maybe the role of an artist is simply to follow your own inspiration wherever it leads and never give in?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused
"Does it (becoming an artist) happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn’t happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time.
That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.
Generally, by the time you are an artist, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose
in your joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are an artist you can’t be ugly,
except to people who don’t understand."
I feel so much better about myself now! Isn't it astonishing what we associate with art? So MUCH is located there!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Level 3 user

Smile Re: The Role of the Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused
This thread --with all it's variations--

Maybe the role of an artist is simply to follow your own inspiration wherever it leads and never give in?[/center]
An inspirational post Fused.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Level 3 user

The role of the artist is as it always has been. To create a world for humans to live in. A world that can only be compared to the universe The artist builds an alternate reality for humans to live in. We create the phisical veiw of society. Some buy it, some sell it, some dont even seem to notice. The Artist role is commited.