Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Level 8 user

Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Say you have two weeks to live and a ball of clay and your stranded on an island with shark infested waters- its the rainy season, nothing else to do but sculpt. Did I mention your hut was designed for a artist just like. You have all the sculpture tools you would ever need plus your favorite foods and beverage and yes you even have two weeks of life in the batteries in the c.d. player which of course has all your favorite music. What would you sculpt? Who would it be for? What music would you listen to and what would you eat and drink?
Just for kicks, try this out?
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-03-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Level 1 user

Re: Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Intersting.
I am not going to give this a lot of thought. When I think too much it skews my truth.
I am not a very spiritual guy, but what instantly came to mind being stranded alone was a flash of fear than a comfort when I looked for solace.
I am not a figurative sculptor, but I would sculpt a pair of hands. Hands cupped like they were holding water. They wouldn't be holding water though. they would be holding me. You know whos hands they would be don't you? I said I was not spiritual, didn't I?
Oh well...
Led Zeppelin and milk shakes. Oh ya, eat and drink. Ok, ice cream and milk shakes
Old 07-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Level 10 user

With apology, I am afraid my response would not be what you have in mind in starting this thread.

For me, I would not accept that I am fated to have two weeks to live. Why should I? I would try my best to survive and get help, or get away from the island alive.

Perhaps over here in Asia, survival is one of the behavior patterns ingrained into our very nature.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-04-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah, c'mon man. We've all seen 'Joe Versus The Volcano'. You can't just trot out some guy that looks like Lloyd Bridges to tell us we've got a "brain cloud" and expect us to do something pointlessly suicidal. I'd have lots of questions. Unless I'm wheezing and gasping in the last throes of a terminal illness, how do I know I'm going to die in two weeks? It sounds like someone abducted me and is threatening to kill me. If so, I'd make spring-loaded decorative 'poison dart' frogs for my captors to enjoy.

If I had been put in this situation by some kind of god, I think I would spend the two weeks trying to bargain with the god, or asking it about about philosophical quandaries and what will happen to me after it kills me. I doubt I would be eager to make sculptures or do anything it wanted me to. Civil disobedience. We've all seen 'Gandhi'. I'm no god's monkey.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 AM
ISC Member

Mark,

I would throw the clay as hard as I could into the ocean. Look for some chisels,a hammer, and a suitable piece of stone - the Olemics used volcanic rock, why not me. Besides a lot of islands are formed by volcanoes.

The other problem with your scenario is that unless Yawaeh was coming back to smote me in 2 weeks, I would not worry about the 2 week deadline. I would live life to the fullest, given the circumstances, and make each day a day to remember.

My life or existance is not preordained. It is what I choose to make of it. Clay is not a part of life for me, neither is someones arbitrary timeline.

Sorry for the diatribe.

Carl
www.wsggallery.ocm
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Level 8 user

Cool, Carl I like this a lot - "I would live life to the fullest, given the circumstances, and make each day a day to remember."
My last sculpture took three years, I sculpted it for the families of September 11th. I heard hundreds of stories from visitors to my studio and when it was unveiled at ground 0 I have never been more moved. The thing I learned most during the process was to live in the moment and that love is the answer. You may think that this would be an easy answer to find, but it was not. It was very hard not to delve deep into the darkness but thanks to my friends and my family and the stories I found the beauty that exists. As Carl said above to live to the fullest and make each day a day to remember. I live by this now. check out this movie if you have time, its of my sculpture at Ground 0 and an event I put together with the Harlem Gospel Choir- Locomotion Dance Company and Sonny Fortune.
Quick time-
http://pilatostudios.com/video/stpauls_qt_large.mov
windows media-
http://pilatostudios.com/video/stpauls_wm_large.wmv
Of course the circumstance above -being stranded on an island with shark infested waters in a rain storm is absurd. Its just an exercise to make you think, so i would say to those who are a little intimidated or think its silly to let go your guard. Try it. Lets change it a little, instead of a ball of clay there would be another hut filled with all types of materials and tools. Lets also take out the feeling that you must escape, lets say that you are content and have come to an understanding with the two weeks. Also lets make it a day of your choosing. The rain was just made up so you would not feel like going for a swim forgetting the sharks and ending it all before you were done. So what do you say are you able to give this a try- maybe in you mind you will sculpt something amassing and like Orlando sculpt wile listening to your favorite music embraced by all you know. Maybe you also will find the hands that hold the answer which lives inside of you.
All the best,
Mark
ps- Carl, I tride to go to your web page the link above does not work.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Level 10 user

2 weeks to live and 32 gallons of 12 year old single malt whiskey to use up

where does the time go

sculpt?
oh yeh,
I forgot
Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Level 8 user

sounds good Ill be stopping by.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Level 2 user

some of you sound like your already living on an Island. I would hate to be around some of you depressing folks .

" My life or existance is not preordained. It is what I choose to make of it. Clay is not a part of life for me, neither is someones arbitrary timeline."..good lord Man , can;t you step out of the sterotype artist role for one question.

I would sculpt a " Wilson" soccer ball and talk to it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Level 8 user

sorry it sounds depressing and sorry if I am stereotyping, just an idea- this forum stuff is new to me. I guess I do live on an Island made up of my family my art and good friends who encourage instead of discourage. I think the best way is to encourage rather then to put down. It was cleaver the volley ball thing. I think that in that movie it was the fact that after he had lost the ball he found himself and then he became truly free everyday after something to look forward to. Good luck and all the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-04-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Level 10 user

Going with the hypothetical senario, I would use my time to create a work that would sum up my life experiences and at the same time be a farewell to those known and unknown who would be left behind. The work would not exactly be autobiographical in nature...more a distillation of what life..in totality..has meant to me. The exact content/composition of the scultpture would be an unknown until I was there and ready to create, but it would be figurative, I know it would probably be somewhat symbolic rather than pruely representational...maybe even slightly abstracted.

Though I don't usually listen to music when I work, I would most likely listen to Peter Gabriel and/or perhaps some instrumental songs in thls instance....having a limited time and a significant task to accomplish...the music would clear my head and help me focus on a creative solution.

Though my own nature is to not given in..if the two weeks was a given and there was no other option...my goal would be to live without fear of a final passage and appreciate every breath until it was my last.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Level 3 user

I would press the clay out flat, draw a vague "treasure map" with an "X" marking the spot where supposedly a ton of gold can be found on the island. After the map had dried, I would rub twigs together to make a fire to fire the clay. The vitrified clay "treasure map" would then be posted conspicuosly on some long-lived tree where it would be discovered by some future visitor to the island.
Oh, did I mention that I would probably sculpt some really nice bas relief nudes around the edges with really nice Dolly Partons?
The next 13 days I would spend surfing on the board I carved from a driftwood plank that was on the beach.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Level 8 user

make sure to dig a hole deep - start your fire in it and let it burn down until you get a nice pile of embers. this would be a good time to drink that 20 year old whiskey. Then cover your sculpture in some palm leaves and place it next to the coals until it is dry and hot, use a stick and shove it into the coals-throw more palm leaves on the fire until it smolders, then barry it with dirt so no smoke escapes. Go surfing have some fun then in two days dig it up, you will have a very nice piece for someone to find and I am sure they will see the art instead of the joke
hi Happysculpting- what's on your mind?
Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Mark-

My first thought is that I'd sculpt a tablet and write a final note to all my loved ones, saying good bye and how much I loved them and how I hope to see them in the ressurrection.

But then, I thought that I would sculpt the most beautiful figure that I possibly could so that when it was found it would represent what I was all about- my quest to capture beauty in sculpture. It would be given to my loved ones as a memory of me and that would be make me feel that I would be remembered.

I occasionally listen to music when sculpting but I'm usually concentrating so much that I don't hear it or anything else going on around me. As for food or drink- even though I don't hardly eat or drink all day when I'm sculpting, just too intense- since it would be my last 2 weeks to live, I'd want to eat all the comfort foods possible and would not leave out dessert- chocolate whatever! Or cake or cookies or ..... love my sugar!

This was a fun mental exercise. This site is a better place because of positive people like you.

~Tamara

Last edited by HappySculpting : 07-04-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pilato
sorry it sounds depressing and sorry if I am stereotyping, just an idea- this forum stuff is new to me. I guess I do live on an Island made up of my family my art and good friends who encourage instead of discourage. I think the best way is to encourage rather then to put down. It was cleaver the volley ball thing. I think that in that movie it was the fact that after he had lost the ball he found himself and then he became truly free everyday after something to look forward to. Good luck and all the best,
Mark
nah its funny. It's not depressing your post, just some of the mindless responses . gotta love arrogant artists. I love going to see peoples work to see their long winded rants about their work and how it ties into the world. It;s all BS of course . Almost as much as artists stupid titles that make only sense to them....
Old 07-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Level 8 user

Thanks Tamara,
I would also eat comfort foods, maybe my sculpture would be a big fat belly by the time i was done.
I wanted to touch on what Toyaholic said above or the tone of his comment any way. After reading his comment I felt that maybe I went to far in posting this and it made me feel kind of bad. Then when I was in my studio sculpting thinking on it I was brought back to school when comments like this were the norm. The students that really counted never went for that kind of stuff and many are still sculpting today 15 years later. When I came back up to the computer just now and retrieved my e - mails i was lifted by what I found - so thanks Toyaholic for introducing me to some new friends.
All the best,
Mark
Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Level 8 user

wow, Toyholic - step out side yourself and look at who is being arrogant and I think you will agree it's you. all you have to say is bad things about others. Maybe your next sculpture should be a mirror so you can sit in front of it and make fun of your self for a wile instead of others. Were you the bully in school as a boy because you are doing a professional job at it. Take a new road, the one your on goes nowhere but down.
all the best,
Mark
Old 07-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Thanks Tamara,....
When I came back up to the computer just now and retrieved my e - mails i was lifted by what I found - so thanks Toyaholic for introducing me to some new friends.
silver lining, huh!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:33 PM
ISC Member

Ever write a long post and when you press send the connections quits.....

My first impression was of the beach and surf. I'm from Indiana and swimming in the surf is a religious experience that I don't have often enough. I would have to brave the sharks. I wouldn't go out too far and I'd keep my eyes peeled for them.

Then I think I would make bowls with my clay. I think the experience of imminent death would be a humbling one and bowls are humble. They automatically have a purpose independent of their aesthetic qualities.
And their aesthetics are very abstract.

I wish I had a companion, but I guess the rules didn't call for one.

Gillian Welch to express my loneliness, raucus Neal Young to rail against the dimming of the light, and Bob Dylan to sum up my life.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Level 8 user

wow - very cool, - Thanks for the mind trip. when I was there riding on your words I could not help but notice a raft a drift and on it was a person waving and floating your way - who could it be? The sun was setting and in the distance I heard Neal Young singing as you swam - one with the sharks - a table filled with abstract bowls - a moment in the " big hum " .
Thanks friend,
all the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-04-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
wow, Toyholic - step out side yourself and look at who is being arrogant and I think you will agree it's you. all you have to say is bad things about others. Maybe your next sculpture should be a mirror so you can sit in front of it and make fun of your self for a wile instead of others. Were you the bully in school as a boy because you are doing a professional job at it. Take a new road, the one your on goes nowhere but down.
all the best,
Mark

sorry if you don't agree. I wasn't a bully in school at all , just one that spoke his mind and never let other choose my words.

you make me laugh...thanks for that.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 PM
ISC Member

Knowing I only had limited time left on this plain of existence would not change my next piece of sculpture. Each one builds on the knowledge learned by the creation of the previous one. I would just make the next in the progression of my growth. I would, however, sign the work with a dedication to my wife and son, and express my enduring love for them. Then on the fourteenth day, I would start a new piece with full expectation of completion.......
Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Level 8 user

Thanks Studioinde, I like that on the fourteenth day you would start again and its cool that you see each of your works as a progression from the last. I also see my work that way and I can not wait to see what the future will bring.
Toyaholic - sorry for my words, and i am glad I make you laugh even if it's at me instead of with me. Its good to speak your mind - I try not to step on people when I do it.
All the best,
Mark
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Level 3 user

Lightbulb Re: Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

I must admit, at times it gets a bit quiet out here where the antelope play and seldom is heard a discouraging word..........so let's kick it up a notch. What if the original question stated,

"The country you live in will be forever changed in two generations. Gone will be the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of movement, racial acceptance and tolerance, individual artistic expression and for good measure, good scotch and tequila." How would you use your artistic voice to preserve what we take for granted today (in the US anyway)?

Any takers?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Level 8 user

I will think on this in my studio today and put up a post tonight.
I believe the arts will light the way. I think i know what my sculpture will be but first i want to sculpt it in my mind awhile. Talk with you soon.
all the best,
mark