Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Level 2 user

Attaching limbs to a torso?

Hello all,

I've no jargon to use in this instance so please forgive my ignorance...
I'm trying to attach limbs to a torso. I cannot figure out how to put pics from my pc up on this site and every url I provide is apparently invalid so I'll just have to deal with my limited jargon.

I have a torso and 4 limbs (2 arms, 2 legs)for a piece I hope to copy and sell. Each limb is rounded at the point it will be attached to the torso and each hole on the torso has a cup or bowl matching its limb.

I'm working with a combination of Chavant Castilene and Chavant NSP (probably irrelevant) and am at the point where I need to decide on how to attach these limbs before I make the molds. I was entertaining the thought of attaching a lego piece maybe? So each limb would "snap" into place? Each limb will be static and not movable but I want them to be strong. I hope this is understandable.

Many cheers, Cliff
Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Attaching limbs to a torso?

https://www.facebook.com/squatch.art...37068963095082

Is the link to my fb page where I put the pics up to use here...
Old 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Level 5 user

I assume that you want to cast the limbs separately and attach them afterwards. You don't mention the final material but there are a few options which should work with most materials.

If you want a removable fixing then neodymium magnets can be a good option if the parts slot together positively. Depending on the material they can either be glued on or you can get magnets with countersunk holes which can be screwed in place.

For permanent fixing a combination of adhesive and metal pins can be a good option for attaching limbs and similar. For smaller pieces you can make pins from short lengths of metal rod or wire, for larger heavier bits threaded rod can give a bit more strength to the joint.

Depending on your casting process it might also be worth embedding the pins into the mould itself.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
am at the point where I need to decide on how to attach these limbs before I make the molds.
My interpretation of what you want to do is that you have made the arms and legs in clay and now want to attach them to the clay torso before you make a mold. (I assume the mold will be rubber.) If that is the case, I am wondering why the joints need to be strong. A simple metal or wood pin would do, or even just the stickiness of the clay. To make a rubber mold, the only strength the clay model needs is to be able to support its own weight without de-forming itself.

Am I missing something?

Richard
Old 11-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks so much for responding and I apologize for not being clear enough. I have to cast them all separate and attach them after the molding process. The only reason I'm even going this route is because of the length and shape of his limbs, while attached to the torso, being pulled out of a mold would be difficult at best, if not impossible.

The materiel will likely be a resin and very strong. I like the magnet idea but expense will also play a role in making copies and selling for a profit... A factor for sure.

Thanks so much again for taking the time to help out! I was thinking of using a leggo piece and gluing it in? Attaching a 4 peg leggo to each limb with the "female leggo fitting" on each limb hole on the torso. Again, I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Level 10 user

So from that I gather you plan to use a solid (hard) mold material to cast multiple pieces in production.

Why not use rubber and cast the figure in one piece in the rubber mold? A good silicon mold would last for a lot of castings and would eliminate the multiple piece problem. Polyurethane would work fine too but if you are going to use polyurethane resin for the finished piece you would have to be very careful with your mold release.

Unless of course I am missing something here.

Richard
Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Level 2 user

Yes, I plan to use heavy, durable resin to cast them in. I'm very inexperienced with making, casting and finishing molds but am very eager to learn so I'm willing to try any advice you might share! I'm bound to youtube videos and online help due to my location (Thailand) and just how little Thai I actually speak. I get along ok but with specific, hard to explain things like mold making materials, I'm a bit lost.

No worries and thanks again for the input, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Cheers
Old 11-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Level 5 user

There is definitely a reasonable argument for casting the limbs separately to simplify the mould making process and it's a common enough thing to do with complex models like figures.

The problem with using something like lego is that you are committing yourself to a needing a very precise fit and alignment and any issues like shrinkage or slight warping of the mould could land you with problems which wouldn't otherwise be noticeable.

My approach would be to make the pattern so that you get a reasonably positive fit, but allow a bit of room to remove material after it's cast to refine the fit and go for a mortice and tennon or peg type joint which you secure with adhesive.

Depending on how much room you have to work with you could either make the peg and hole as part of the model or drill holes and use a metal pin afterwards as part of the final assembly.

As part of your general research it's probably also worth looking at the way that commercial resin model kits are designed for assembly eg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Ky...gine-of-Khorne
Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Level 10 user

I make all of my molds using either silicone or polyurethane rubber from Smooth On. Their web site has numerous videos and photo sequences that detail the various methods possible. They have a distributor in Bangkok.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Sculpture-a...239/index.html

Richard
Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Level 10 user

if you are going to make copies to sell it would be well worth making a mould of the whole thing to save all the time of constructing and finishing the final piece.

Take a look at my posts on making flexible moulds. Nothing is too complicated, you just may need to increase the number of pieces in the mould to accommodate
Old 11-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Level 10 user

Taking a look at Mantrid's mold making posts is an education. I can't recommend them too highly. For instance this one:

http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...t=bronze+horse

Richard
Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Level 2 user

Thanks so much for the help and I'll be looking at the vids as soon as I get back home, sort of took an unexpected holiday and the internet access is sketchy at best here.

It would certainly be several steps shorter if I could do a single mold, I just assumed that was the obvious step and built him accordingly. I'm living abroad and finding things so easily found in the states is, hit and miss but I'll be checking into this option for sure.

Thanks again for the advice, that's why I come here! Cheers
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Level 2 user

Thanks for the link, I'll be checking with them very soon!

Cheers
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
if you are going to make copies to sell it would be well worth making a mould of the whole thing to save all the time of constructing and finishing the final piece.

Take a look at my posts on making flexible moulds. Nothing is too complicated, you just may need to increase the number of pieces in the mould to accommodate
Your advice is why I come here and explore, thanks! I have to ask though, since I'll be having the mold made instead of doing it myself (due simply to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing and usually have a hard time finding what I'm looking for by not being completely fluent in the native tongue where I live) wouldn't it be easier to just make separate molds and attach the pieces after the fact instead of splitting a mold and risk breaking the piece or paying extra for a much more complicated mold making process?

The space between my character's R forearm and his R leg is only about 3/16 of an inch and seems way too close for comfort while trying to remove him from the mold. No? If you could explain the advantages of a complicated mold vs attaching pieces afterwards I could get my head around it better I think. Is it just a time factor or are there other benefits?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Level 8 user

Hi Cliff,

I think it would help if you could upload your sculpture for the forum to advice you.
The decision to make a single mold or separate molds depend on allot of factors.
For me its important to consider what material you are going to cast your sculpture in.
If its bronze then you must keep in mind that it will most probably be cast hollow.(Thin small sculpture could be cast solid)
So a complex sculpture with limbs (depending on the size) will be easier to cast by separate molds for limbs and torso.
You need special equipment and some practice to re-assemble the sculpture afterwards. Some surface detail could be difficult to fix afterwards.

If you consider casting it solid (depending on the medium) then a single mold would probably be the best option.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookysully View Post
Your advice is why I come here and explore, thanks! I have to ask though, since I'll be having the mold made instead of doing it myself (due simply to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing and usually have a hard time finding what I'm looking for by not being completely fluent in the native tongue where I live) wouldn't it be easier to just make separate molds and attach the pieces after the fact instead of splitting a mold and risk breaking the piece or paying extra for a much more complicated mold making process?

The space between my character's R forearm and his R leg is only about 3/16 of an inch and seems way too close for comfort while trying to remove him from the mold. No? If you could explain the advantages of a complicated mold vs attaching pieces afterwards I could get my head around it better I think. Is it just a time factor or are there other benefits?
Ive made a suggestion, and explained the benefit. But only you can make the final decision on whether it would be the best way or not, based on what you see in front of you ( we haven't seen the piece) and also on how many copies you intend to make ( which we also dont know)
Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Level 10 user

I re read your post and am wondering why you are even concerned about all this as you say you are going to have the mould made for you. The mould maker will tell your the best approach when he sees the piece and you tell him what you will be using it for.

I would also think that it would cost alot less to make one multi part mould than a number of one or two part moulds
Old 11-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Level 2 user

I've tried putting a link to the piece on this post but apparently everyone is having trouble with it. I can't upload to photobucket for some reason here in Thailand so I'll give you the link for my blog if you think that might be more applicable than the fb link. http://sasculpture.blogspot.com/

Please let me know if the link works for you as I'm hoping that a look at this thing might help answer cursory questions.

The only reason I've decided to use the multiple piece/attach later method is due to the length and size of each limb and my location/language barrier and most of all, my inexperience.

I would like to be able to make as many copies as I can sell, using a good resin or something durable and attractive. Suggestions will be appreciated and adhered to.

I also have questions about the aliens as they will be very small, no more than 2" tall and thin/weak but I'll save that for another time. Ha ha! My biggest problem is explaining what I'm looking for when I talk to experts so I would like to apologize again for any rambling, ill-explained babble I'm responsible for in this post and say thanks again for taking the time to help! Cheers!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:14 AM
Level 2 user

I also put a couple of pics up of the connection areas for the legs and also on the torso. This is what I was looking for advice on. I used chopsticks as I get a pair free with every single meal I eat here.

Ha ha, I hope this helps explain a bit more of what I was looking for. I can glue the pegs on the limbs and insert them into the holes on the torso for a good fit... I'm hoping anyway.

http://sasculpture.blogspot.com/