Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Sculptor

Re: Too mach balanced too mach control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman
Hi, I can't keep pounding this stuff about Picasso any more, my fingers are getting calloused from hitting the keyboard. BUT, and this is mainly directed to fritchie, Hi Fritchie, If a painting or sculpture has recognizable body parts, faces, eyes, nose, mouth, hands, fingers, feet, toes, torso, legs, etc. however they are arranged or rearranged, it is realistic! ............ ........... ........
Jeff
Jeff- Wow, you were busy with this! My fingers would be tired too. Put fingers on the head, eyes (3, 4 10, 100 ... ) on the belly, legs sticking out the back, and you still have realism? How about dinosaur “fingers”, legs, and so on, on a human?

I do appreciate your comments and take them as constructive, but we still disagree. Have a good day!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomo
... it isn't only beautiful lines, curves or color.
Who said anything about art being just beautiful lines? Apparantly this is your analysis of my work, which is perfectly fine, but I would say that of our two viewpoints, you are the one seeking a polemic.

I do not hold that art is just a pretty trinket, nor do I agree that it is no more than a statement in effort of social change.

There are moments in my working life when a serendipitous change to a composition of basic shapes brings ringing to my ears. Heart in mouth, I feel as if I have touched some central tenet in our existence, come close to making sense of the world around and spoken loudly in a clear voice.
That this is not written out in plain text is not my concern.

Art is a vehicle for an artist. In it we are offered a profound and personal journey.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Level 2 user

Ariach, it is really hard for me to express myself right in any languish, even art is not my good side, and English is my worst - - -
you don't need any path mark from me, but I want to say loud and clear – no one can get from the iron the quality, the perfective, the so right "curves lines and color" without a big art soul – it is so clear and sharp -
But for me, it is clear and sharp too, that a man who can bent down steel so beautifully, who creates this curves and right lines from so many "similar" steel sculptures ( I can't find even one "mistake" in any of your sculptures) have much more to give - have the spirit -
I tried to write it before in my poor English - your successfully struggle with the hard steel cause you to forget or to neglect or to renounce the ather side of your strengs, the soul you definitely hade. OF COURSE IT IS YOUR PREVILAGE , you don't need any permit ion from any one to do what you want to do, but it is my privilege as a spectator , as a consumer of art to need more . to ask for more.
I need more from you. ( it is suppose to be a compliment)

I'm really sorry if you offended, it was not my intention not at all. I found in your works more talent and pure beauty than I found ever. thank you.

And I loved your last fury and full of passion thread.

Last edited by shlomo : 10-15-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM

Dear shlomo, you have not offended me at all, in fact you have paid me the greatest compliment. Taking the time to look critically at my work, you have given me more than any amount of "I love your work" commentary.

In fact, you have influenced my work directly this week, and the crazy results are truly disturbing for me. I have taken the new wall pieces, the 'Composition' series of brush painted works, and stretched them into the freestanding. I am only at the metalising stage, but here at 7.30am, I am about to head into the studio and begin the painting... pictures shortly.

Indeed I might drag it in now and take a photo of it.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:23 AM

http://www.roberthague.com/sculpture...ry/comp_vi.htm

8 hours later and I've at least made a start, completing the underpainting. Tomorrow the washes and tinted varnishes, and likely changes to the colours in an effort to make it work.

This image is what the pure zinc metal coating looks like before the grey primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp_vi_1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1188  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:01 AM

Don't forget to click on the arrow beneath the linked image, folks. Very nice. But now you give us Monday Morning quarterbacks the chance to pick a certain stage in it's coloring that we prefer... The second to the last shot works the best for me I think. But the final colors/design have a nice dynamic-Calder feel to them.

I think what it comes down to, to a certain extent, is a preference of style. I'm guessing shlomo prefers grittier, darker, assembled, more laborous/tortured work. And that the qualities that best appeal to shlomo, he considers truely artistic, truly the realm of high Art. But I will suggest that this limits what art can be and limits your experience of what art and life are. Personally in my own work, I probably strive for something darker. But there are more ways of seeing/creating than what we are personally inclined towards. I love Araich's work because it is different from my own. Because it is expressive in his way, it broadens my view of the world and of art. And I find his lyricism informing my own designs, making them more distinctive than stereotypical rusted steel constructions.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts before I've had my coffee.

Last edited by sculptorsam : 10-16-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 PM

7am, another day. That blue is all wrong, and I woke thinking that I have limited the transition into the 3rd dimension by just colouring the opposing planes, so in 30 minutes when I get to work I'll overpaint some of the black...

Sam, thank you.

Later: I've added another 5 hours painting, covered in 5 images.

Last edited by Araich : 10-17-2004 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:39 AM

I've finished it. Not bad for a week. In fact I really enjoyed sitting around with a paint brush for a change.

90cm or 35"

[god I love my new camera]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	composition_iv_0174.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1199  Click image for larger version

Name:	composition_iv_0180.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1202  

Last edited by Araich : 10-20-2004 at 12:02 AM. Reason: change image
Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Just a word of caution here about multi-colored sculpture. What color to paint a sculpture is usually determined after the sculpture is constructed, and not part of the initial concept. At least that's true in my case, and I sit and look at my sculpture for a long time before IT tells me what color it needs to be.
When one decides to do a multi-colored paint job on a piece you have to be very careful how you go about it because in many cases multi-colors DESTROY FORM.
Most of us aren't painters, so that just creates other problems, that of bad color combinations and the use of unsophisticated and/or primary colors all of which can and in many cases does take away from an otherwise well constructed sculptural form.
Araich, Hi, this is in no way a critique of your work but just an observation of mine that I thought I'd pass along. Food for thought!!!!!!!!!!
Have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 10-25-2004, 04:52 PM

Funny, I went into this with the intention of breaking up the work with bright (primary) high contrasting colours... I have tried more muted and complex painterly effects on previous work, but there the paint really did rob from the sculpture.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 AM
ISC Member

Hi, I don't think it's so much the colors that one picks but HOW the painting is composed, where the color breaks occur in relation to the form that determines whether or not the form is destroyed or not. I personally like your piece better in the photo where it just has that monochrome coating on it, but hey, it's your work not mine. I'm curious though, why after working so hard on a well composed and well made piece of sculpture would you want to break up that hard won form?
As I write this, I keep going back and forth between the photos of the paint job and the one with the monochrome coating, I wish I could see the work in person, as I'm sure the photos don't do it justice.
Have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 10-26-2004, 06:13 PM

That is a million dollar question, right there. Why?
I would have to guess that the driving force is curiousity and experimentation. I have produced a great number of works where the focus is form and overall unity, and right now I am going through a patch of severe experimentation. Believe it or not, I am actually using text on a current work, and planning a mid-sized kinetic piece.
Also, I would say that I believe that the form and the surface can co-exist as independant compositions. The strength of sculpture is that it's actuality as a real object produces perspective without any intervention, and that messing around with these visual cues might be an area my work can expand into.
Simlutaneous to the making of that work I have laboured on with my core interest, and produced 4 new works. Here are two, which I see as possible maquettes for larger scale:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	redblacksilver_2_500_0196.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1222  Click image for larger version

Name:	redblacksilver_500_0196.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1224  
Old 10-26-2004, 06:19 PM

... and the other:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blue_0220.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1225  Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_0222.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1226  Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_0223.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1227  
Old 10-26-2004, 06:32 PM

I find the black square distracting on the second one. It looks like more of a necessity to keep the work from tipping over than an integral part of the design. If it's scaled up to large size, you'd be able to lose it. I think that'd look more natural. Perhaps a larger hemisphere, or even one flattened out a bit, would help anchor/compliment the dynamic symetry of the upper section a little better as well.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:22 PM

Yeah, it's just there for the maquette, in fact I just painted it white. Why I didn't think of that first off I'll never know. I think you're also right about the hemisphere, it could have been larger. In my head I can see it continue into the plate... not much help to anyone else however.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Nice work, as usual. I especially like the blue piece and agree about the black square. I like the negative spaces that piece has and while looking at it a thought occured to me. I wonder how it would look in a horizontal position, 3-4 ft. off the ground with those support bars changed to form a sort of inverse pyramid?
Have a nice day,
Jeff

TEXT, WHAT NEXT?

Last edited by ironman : 10-27-2004 at 09:18 AM. Reason: add something
Old 10-28-2004, 03:40 PM

"Believe it or not, I am actually using text on a current work, and planning a mid-sized kinetic piece."

THIS, I am looking forward to! How are things progressing?

On your painted piece, I was envisioning a harsh light cast upon it, thereby breaking the segments up as you mentioned with resulting shadows.