Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Level 10 user

Sculptures for Fallen Heroes

A number of threads on this forum have addressed the content and conflict surrounding war, religion, heroes and memorials and I'm thinking a thread devoted to the subject should be posted. Regardless of a sculptor's background and philosophical point of view, memorial sculptures represent a consistant basin of opportunity in a sculptor career. When we search for opportunities, we often find individuals and organizations seeking our services to memorialize people and events. For a sculptor, memorials can be a big deal, charged with emotion, money, public contraversy, all the issues involved in making objects for the public eye. I have little experience in this erea but I know a few of the folks who log in to this forum do, If you have produced or contributed to the conception and construction of a memorial could you share with us your insight into the experience ? What did you do ? Who did you serve ? What did you learn ? What advise do you have for those who haven't done it but are considering becoming involved in the process ? I expect that all the sculptors who click on this thread will appreciate any experiences, opinions and points of view that you have to share.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Level 8 user

Re: Sculptures for Fallen Heroes

Hi Aaron,

I have done three memorials, the first was when I was 20 and that one was for a friend who died of cancer, it was in this sculpture that I learned about the power of art, not only for myself but for others as well. I had many life changing experiences, it was very healing for me, both during and after this sculpture was done. I still get phone calls from people who have been moved by this sculpture, I'm always getting new insights from them. As for getting that one cast, I had my own foundry at the time, so the costs were minimal. Art in Public Places, a non for profit group in my home town got together and raised the funds, it's now in a public space in State College my home town. My second sculpture was commissioned by someone who saw the piece I was just describing, this sculpture was done 12 years later. This sculpture was much harder because I did not have a personal relationship with the man for whom spirit I was trying to find. I had to do a lot of research, talking with family and friends and co workers until I felt confident to go ahead. This was a very hard piece to sculpt, because when you are doing a memorial it can become very sad and emotional. For me also I must find the true form until I am sure I have found what I am looking for, and that task can be overwhelming when working for the spirit of a loved one, you must get it right. At the same time I am always on new ground. This sculpture also changed my life and reaffirmed my belief in the power of art, and most of all it gave me the tools to create my greatest work, my memorial for the families of 9/11, which I donated spending 3 years of my life, and it was in this one that I saw the light. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I am still recovering. But it was a success, I finished a sculpture that I was born to do, I overcame many obstacles, and pushed myself further then I have ever gone. That one was at Ground 0, the Pentagon and now stands across the Louise Nevelson room in Saint Peters Church NYC. All powered by love, and the belief in what I had done. This sculpture has moved thousands, many saying they have felt a sense of healing by them. Very cool from this small town boy, it goes to show that anything is possible when it comes to the power of art and most of all staying true to ones self. hope this helps first picture "She is Alive in My Mind" second, "Winter Spring Summer or Fall" third "Ascent"
all the best,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	she alive galley.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5851  Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	5852  Click image for larger version

Name:	MARKP .jpg
Views:	186
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	5853  
Old 04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Sculptures for Fallen Heroes

I was commisioned by a large real estate company developing the harborside financial center in Jersey City to create a tribute to the efforts of the iron workers who toiled as long and hard as anyone at ground zero. My proposal included the use of actual wreckage - and I eventually found myself at a processing facility confronted by the largest,scariest pile of scrap I will ever experience. I selected usable pieces for the art (about a ton) and set to work upon the harrowing task of composing it all into a meaningful monument. I completed it by sept 11 2002 and it was presented during a citywide ceremony. My aesthetic usually works against me for memorial situations but this time I was the only man for the job. My studio never lost the smell of that disaster thereafter. The event has never left a corner of my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pearlst021507.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	5888  Click image for larger version

Name:	pearlst0313071.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	5889