Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Level 1 user

Hello form uk

Greetings sculptors,

after rather too much prevaricating on my part my new website for serial artwork is up and running today. One is wary of course in inviting criticism, however feedback is always appreciated on a new site. We'll see how it progresses over the coming year, as this one is far more editable and under my control.
Oh, are we too far in to say Happy New Year too!
Cheers.
A

http://arikui.co.uk
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Re: Hello form uk

Hi Arikui. Your new site is terrific - simple and easy to navigate. Cool anteater idea. The schematics of the sculptures are easy to visualize, although you are also conveying the concept that there will be multiples. Of course that is cost effective for you and the consumer and I know other sculptors who succeed because they do multiples of everything, but that also diminishes the uniqueness aspect. Your graphic images are elegant too. Perhaps you could add a bit about what media or print method you would use for those, as you did for the sculptures. One thought is that your methods might lend themselves to your having the graphics etched onto metal.
Good job and smart to set it up so it's easy to update.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Level 1 user

Re: Hello form uk

HI Jaz,
thanks for looking and glad the new site is working for you, a bit of a "shakedown" phase at present to see how I can fine tune it.
"I know other sculptors who succeed because they do multiples of everything, but that also diminishes the uniqueness aspect" This is an interesting area, I actually work in a very traditional way in these particular objects - the "unique" initial drawing/maquette and then a series of very precise enlargements. The history of sculpture is tied with manufacture/replication - more so now than ever perhaps. Casting, pointing machines, art fabricators etc... I am at once the author and the manufacturer. I don't see a difference between a cast edition and a constructed edition unless you really buy into a unique object as an "expression of soul" or whatever. We'll see... It can just as easily sink or float.
The prints are actually printed off the interlocking parts of the sculptures before I build them up, inked up and put through an Albion press gives a denser black than the ones done with a Baren. Etching onto the surface is an area I'm experimenting on, but I'm conscious to avoid decorative fuss.
Thanks for the feedback and I'm looking forward to being part of the scupturenet community. Happy making. A