Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Level 6 user

Material help

Hi,

I am doing an Independent Learning project this semester focused on realistic figurative sculpture. I plan on doing a series of clay faces as well as some miniature full figures.

I am in the middle of writing a grant application to help with the cost of materials. I have the clay from the school, but I am in need of help with choosing the rest of the materials. I plan on using both wax and oil based clay for the small figurative sculptures, I also just ran across some wax based clay and it sounds interesting. I will use the oil or wax based clay to make models that will have molds taken of them and then cast in plaster or hydra stone.

I was wondering if you could recommend some mold products and also some clay's and wax's. If there is anything that I not aware of that is helpful please let me know, most of my sculpture has been abstract thus far so this is a new endeavor for me.

I need to have a rough cost estimate for the grant application.

Thank you,

Alex
Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 AM
Level 6 user

Re: the simple wrods of warhammer online

And the first response I get is spam, always a good sign. Oh and if this is in the wrong place I am sorry.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Material help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKady View Post
I was wondering if you could recommend some mold products and also some clay's and wax's. If there is anything that I not aware of that is helpful please let me know, most of my sculpture has been abstract thus far so this is a new endeavor for me.
I'm not sure how a wax-based clay would react, but be sure what ever molding material you decide on for the wax models does not involve an exothermic reaction as part of the curing process. Seems obvious...but worth a mention.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Level 10 user

Alex, if you are in Collegeville, you are about a 1 1/2 hour drive from my studio. You can private email me if you would like to visit and I could show you the various steps involved.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Sculptor

Alex, I was able to delete the spam in post 2. As to your other question, yes, this is good place to ask, and hopefully GlennT can help, if you are there at this point. Personally, I don't have much detail to offer, except to ask generally at supply houses. They're usually good for information of this kind, without necessarily expecting you to buy.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM
ISC Member

Alex, take GelnnT's offer and go see how it is done. I have never left another artists studio without learning something, or seeing a new material or a different way of doing something.

Ari.