Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Level 10 user

Smile Love on a stick

This work is in progress, so I thought I ask you what you think, while I can still make corrections. It's paper mache, extremely wet, that gives its texture. I'd like to keep it this way, with some realistic detail like hands. I'm not sure about the undercutting around the heads. I want to leave them as they are now, without feet. Don't know why. Maybe Robert's idea, floating between heaven and earth (sorry for turning your idea upside down, that's how it stuck in my head
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Love1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	8886  Click image for larger version

Name:	Love2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	8887  Click image for larger version

Name:	Love3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	8888  Click image for larger version

Name:	Love4.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	8889  
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Love on a stick

Very expressive and erotic. It would be a complete success if the stick were gone--unless you are going to make it into a Popsicle mold.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Sculptor

I like many aspects of this, and there are some points I would criticize. Overall, I find the shapes appealing, with the male's broad shoulders, and the contrast in side views between the narrow conjoined waists and much broader hips. I also find the asymmetric and sensuous placement of the hands good.

What I find distracting is the linearity of the legs in side views, but the attenuation to no feet adds in my opinion. And I don't understand what's happened to the male's arms in the view from the girl's rear. In other views, his arms are outside of hers, but in this view, there appear to be two ropes of hair and no arms. Is this a deliberate "abstraction" or visual puzzle?

I'm not worried by the undercutting. It adds a bit of contrast, and I find that good. I could see this "on a stick", with the top but not bottom of the support rod removed.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

Popsicle, good one Joe. I'm afraid the pole will stay. I have several of these, and nobody seems to like them but me. I have two more to go and then I can move on. I try to make the stick part of the work as much as possible.

Fritchie, thank you for your critique, this is the kind of critique that is helpful and that I come here for. The parts you mentioned are not finished yet. Actually on the back view of the girl it's not hair you see, it's his arms holding her head, without detail work. I'll try to do something with the legs on the sides if I can. When it's finished, I'll post a pic.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Level 10 user

I finished the piece, and titled it 'One'.
I would like to keep this matte. Doesn anyone know a brand of sealer that has no lustre? The ones I used before all have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One1sm.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	9167  Click image for larger version

Name:	One2sm.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	9168  
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
This work is in progress, so I thought I ask you what you think, while I can stil make corrections. It's paper mache, extremely wet, that gives its texture. I'd like to keep it this way, with some realistic detail like hands. I'm not sure about the undercutting around the heads. I want to leave them as they are now, without feet. Don't know why. Maybe Robert's idea, floating between heaven and earth (sorry for turning your idea upside down, that's how it stuck in my head
Thanks in advance!
What idea is that Rika or are you addressing another Robert?

The finished work is good and fulfills its task.

Enjoy your day.
Robert
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Level 10 user

Off the top of my head, Modern Masters makes a sealer called dead flat. Have you tried that one?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Sculptor

Good treatment! I like the tree idea, "love rooted in earth".
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Level 10 user

Robert, I was trying to figure out how to make the base part of the piece, and remembered something you said in another post about the weightlessness of the ballet dancer in the air before he touches the ground.
Grommet, I checked out their site, I'll try dead flat. Thanks!
Thanks, fritchie! This was a way of saying goodbye to the idyllic world of youth.