Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Strange girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Are you putting a base on this piece? If so, I guess I'd ask for what purpose.
Visually, I don't think it needs a base, and to put a big solid thing across the bottom would handcuff the whimsey and freshness. Any sort of base added should be confined to the countour of the bottom of the piece, I think.
Hear Hear, Grommet. But you know curators.

RD
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Level 8 user

I`m late, but I`ll add my comments, since I like the piece.

Please don`t put a base on the piece. The neck is enough of a base in this case.

The face, hair and movement are all great and make the work a joy to look at. Making the neck anatomically correct would be inconsistent and I think it would take the joy out of the movement and "visual speed" of the rest of the work. (and you will never, ever convince me that it is a real neck, but that`s another issue).

That said, the neck is static. I once had a piece critiqued as "ending at the ground" The person doing the critique emphasized that for the movement to be real and genuine, and to carry through to the viewer (which most of your work does, I think), the sense of movement needs to carry below the visible portion of the work, like the roots of trees.

To put that another way, how does that neck connect to the shoulders? I don`t want to see the shoulders, but when I look at the great movement in the hair, it flows nicely to the stylized face, which flows nicely to the neck...which ends.

Bill
www.billwolff.net
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Level 10 user

Grommet, I hear you re: the base. Why I'm thinking base? The piece is small, about 6x7 inches. I can only decide if I see it. So I tried to crop the shape in Photoshop and put it on dark square base - couldn't do it, just got frustrated.

Wolff, thanks for your wonderful critique. Now I see the neck ends quite abruptly. It's too late unfortunately for this piece but I'll keep that in mind next time. Love your works by the way.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Level 10 user

Maybe you could get th visual by setting it on some chocolate covered graham crackers & squinting at it. And then when you're done, well, you can figure that out.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
... I see the neck ends quite abruptly. It's too late unfortunately for this piece but I'll keep that in mind next time. Love your works by the way.
Rika,

It is not so much that it ends abruptly--It is that time in space where someone like Negenski the dancer, could make you see the weightlessness that happens between going up and coming down. I just got back from one of Houston's crown jewels, the de Menil Museum. They have a fabulous collection of African art.; among them a Boki piece with a neck like yours. It is not on a base, and is at most 10x5 or 6. I should have noted the dimensions.

RD
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Maybe you could get th visual by setting it on some chocolate covered graham crackers & squinting at it. And then when you're done, well, you can figure that out.
Never enough cookies in my house, having two cookie monsters around. That's a great idea, I'll get a box instead and see how she looks on it. I'll take some pics.

Robert, I love your weightlessness metaphore. I feel I learned a lot from you guys, hopefully will be able to apply them at the right time.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Level 10 user

rika,

To futher add confusion, have a look at this Luba piece from the Muse Royal d'Art Aftican, at Tervurren, Belgium. Here the "base" is a useful recipient. If you look long enough you'll find everything. The neck is yours, no? Even if you've never seen it. We have more baggage than most.

RD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5045.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8871  
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Level 10 user

Since we are bringing up references, I should mention that when I first saw it I was reminded, not in style, but in type, of a couple of the African women busts that Malvina Hoffman did in the 1930's for the field museum in Chicago.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Level 10 user

Nice sculpture, Robert.

I found a black box. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Right now there are two cork adhesive support thingies on the bottom as the piece won't stand on its own. I kinda like the black improvised "base".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strangegirl 016.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8882  Click image for larger version

Name:	Strangegirlsculpture.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8883  
Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Level 10 user

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

RD
Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Level 10 user

Nuhnuhnuhnuhnuhnuhnooooooo.

The problem is that it does not hide itself as an unobtrusive base. The contrast in color, finish, shape, surface, and style is so huge that it calls attention to itself and draws it away from the head.

If you go with a base, try to get at least three out of those five aspects to match.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Level 10 user

Nope again. maybe think this way... If this fun loving whimsical girl had a fun loving girl perch, what would it look like? Maybe it has windows, I don't know. But this is stark and life sucking. If standing up is the issue there's other unobtrusive ways to put a small base under/in it & add some weight. We've grown attached to your girl.

Last edited by grommet : 07-22-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Level 10 user

Ok, three big no's convinced me.

Quote:
We've grown attached to your girl.
I'm glad her charms are hard to resist. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Level 10 user

Is the neck hollow? If so stuff it with something weighty like oil based clay and seal it in with a piece of felt cut to dimension.

RD
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the great idea, Robert, I'm a chicken. Someone expects this piece in good condition, I can't screw it up. How do I remove the bottom part without breaking the neck? There is room inside for weight.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Level 10 user

VERY CAREFULLY cut through the thiness part of the base. and enlarge to the sides. It is papermache so go easy and with care. Reseal with a felt disc. I'm not to sure of the oil based clay, though. The oil may leak into the paper and with time become apparent. Try plaster.

RD
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, if you drilled a hole or two you could stick a funnel in to pour the plaster or other weighty thing. (wax, cement, leftover chowder?)