Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Level 10 user

Strange girl

This is my latest work. Critique please ( I read the discussion about this). I am trying to find my style somewhere between realism or rather the illusion of realism, and abstraction. I also like a somewhat grotesque approach. I want to grow a little with every new piece, hope your comments will help with that. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strangegirl11.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	8772  Click image for larger version

Name:	Strangegirl2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	8773  Click image for larger version

Name:	Strangegirl33.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	8774  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Strange girl

The facial expression, eyes and mouth, good contrasts of lights and darks on the face are what give this an appeal. The rough surfaces are not to my taste generally but work fine with the theme and feel of this one. Ditto with the wild hair. I find bothersome the way the neck does not relate as a neck so much as an inorganic base from which the head is place off-center. The tilt of the head works well as a gesture and need not rely on a dis-jointed neck to achieve the effect. If the neck were more organically/anatomically correct, I would not have to fight the subconscious discomfort while enjoying the rest.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

Before posting I went through your on-line history here. I like the work. I like the neck. It looks like a Benin bronze queen. The hair has another source, Edloe? Is that the correct tribal group from Central Africa? I like the textures they are very African. Immerse yourself in African work.

Get to know the primitive Flemish and Rhenish masters also. I saw that you were attracted to the gargoyle. Look to the Medieval ones not the neo-gothic crap out of Hollywood. If ever you get a chance to go to Cologne, visit the Galo-Roman Museum. It is under-ground with a glass roof that looks up at the Dom, or Cathedral of Cologne. Wait for a heavy rain shower. The Gargoyles, masculine, are functional downspouts for the gutters--Incredible trumpets of water. Oh and don't forget to see the museum collection. Cologne was a sophisticated out-post of the late Roman Empire.

Robert Derr
Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
I am trying to find my style.
With any luck you never will. You are your style and it will either grow as you do and refine itself or it will stagnate with an endless stream of replicas. The piece is toonish and I like it in the sense that it is playful, unsentamentalized and evocates a whimsical pondering that reminds me of my friend Aunt Betty,.. Don't ask me why he likes to be called Aunt Betty, he just does..
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I want to grow a little with every new piece, hope your comments will help with that
You are on the right track. Proof: you are asking the right questions and pushing yourself. You will grow with that attitude. I like the piece very much. It definitely has the feel of a personal style--something to explore.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Level 10 user

Thank you all for taking my work seriously. I had no idea how it would be received.
Glenn T, I'm glad that although not your style, you appreciate the work. I was considering to make the neck more realistic at one point, but decided against it.

Robert, I admit I never heard of Benin bronzes, but Googled it and absolutely loved them. I've always liked African art, but wasn't aware of any influences. I don't know who Edloe is. I only found a painter named Edloe?

Stewen W, your interpretation is probably closest to what I had in mind.

Joe, thank you for liking it and for the advice. I think I will explore this style in the next little while.

I have a question for you all. I'm not sure whether I should add a base or not. What do you think?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Level 10 user

<<...a question for you all. I'm not sure whether I should add a base or not. What do you think..>>

Bases and pedestals are a real problem that I've not yet solved. It has to do with how you wish for the work to react to the environment--stand apart or integrate. Also they are useful for stabilizing otherwise wobbly work.

I'll try and find the name of the second tribal group. It is the treatment of the hair that is most similar.

Robert Derr
Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Sculptor

Rika - Welcome to this group, from the local moderator. I'm sorry I missed the post earlier, but I've been away for a couple of days.

I like your piece very much, for many reasons stated above, but I also find the neck troubling. To me, it IS a base for an unattached head, and does not at all resemble a real neck.

To go further with my own words, I'd say the piece falls into a caricature or whimsy field, a sort of 3D figure from a comic strip. It has a great sense of fun, and in that way the neck is OK. As above, it is its own base.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Level 10 user

Robert, it's good to know I'm not alone with my dilemma re: bases.

fritchie, interesting thoughts, usually I'm not crazy about whimsies. Thanks for your critique and for liking the work in general.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Level 10 user

Rika,

I’ve found the tribal group that I was looking for. It is the Boki from Nigeria specifically the Janus headdresses with their platted hair. I think you’ll find your neck there too.

One other thing, you said you were not aware of the influences. This is something very important which we all need to think about. Jung and Richard Reed. are very important here. Over on the Thread, Chasing Beauty, we are battling it out between the romantics, modernist, and post-modernist. One of the most important things that has come up is the idea that all ideas are “biometrically” universal-- i.e. there are only a few of them out there and we just shuffle the deck and something else comes up. That is the referential part of my signature.

Art is sacred
Art is provocative
Art is referential
Robert Derr
Old 07-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Level 9 user

Do we ALL need to think about influences, really? Why are Jung and Reed, whoever they are, so important here? I feed at this trough to find individuality, not influences. This week's threads have been on my mind alot, in a very personal way, that's why I come back, to be myself, not to conform to important influences.

lisa
Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Level 10 user

quote dilida<<...we ALL need to think about influences, really?...>>

Perhaps aware is a better term. Know and use the baggage that comes from being an artist. We are a fortunate few that choose to do this--who else would. Jung, Swiss student of Freud, wrote a seminal work, Man And Symbol. R. Reed or Read, English, wrote Art and Symbol in the 30ies. Must reads for any sculptor/sentential being.

Art is etc
Robert Derr
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Level 10 user

rika, strange indeed. I cant say I'm a huge fan of the forms, but I appreciate them because they appear to have been made with confidence. good job.

-James
Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Level 10 user

Rika, I have to agree that the neck kind of distracts me. However, the whimsey of this is wonderful!

You have a finish on it much like Raku. I love that too. Scout
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Level 10 user

One more for the positive.
In regard to the neck issue. The shape of the neck doesn't bother me. If it tried to be too anatomically correct that would bother me. That said, there does seem to be an integration problem-- at least in some photos the head appears to be just stuck onto the neck piece. This is okay conceptually, but there's still an awkwardness that's distracting. But it's such a small detail on a wonderfully fun piece. There's a very appealing chunkiness and surface textures to it, in addition to the gesture of the lines. Fun on a stick.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks everyone who responded to my post. As long as the work generates some kind of a response, it's good news, that I know.
Oh my, those Boki sculptures are amazing. I should read the books suggested too, but I'm in a much better place since giving up on trying to figure out myself.

I wonder what is your definition of whimsey???
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

quote Rika<<...what is your definition of whimsy???>>

Whimsy is the smile that comes from being PROVOKED to think about the SACRED nature of the REFERENCED idea.

art is provocation
art is sacred
art is referential
Robert Derr
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rderr.com View Post
quote Rika<<...what is your definition of whimsy???>>

Whimsy is the smile that comes from being PROVOKED to think about the SACRED nature of the REFERENCED idea.

art is provocation
art is sacred
art is referential
Robert Derr
But that's also your definition of art! Whimsy=smiling art. Not bad. To me it had a more negative meaning until now.

One last question: what do you use to secure your pieces to the base?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
As long as the work generates some kind of a response, it's good news,
hmmm not sure about that.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote Rika <<...But that's also your definition of art! Whimsy=smiling art. Not bad. To me it had a more negative meaning until now...>>

Yes I could see the pinched smile in your reply to frenche's comment, but his was meant to be almost positive

and quote Rika <<,,,One last question: what do you use to secure your pieces to the base?...>>

quote don't remember who from the 50ies but, <<...Don't you leave your chewing gum on the bed-post over night...>>

What ever is necessary, chewing gum if that's was it takes

And sorry Cheese, Still have not mastered the <<,,,>> thing.

ART IS ETC
rd
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Level 10 user

Chewing gum and whatever is necessary sounds great, but I want something even better. Maybe you can help?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Level 10 user

Each time it is going to be different. Mostly the pieces in wood and bone are free standing. If they do have a base it is either joined or screwed. Bronzes are welded or siliconed. So it really depends on the piece. Keep it as unobtrusive as possible. Just remember the art is about the piece not the technique or material. They are secondary.

RD
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Robert, it's paper maché. So I guess a glue would be fine, but there are too many brands out there. Do you know a good, strong brand? I need to ship the piece, I want to be sure it will arrive in one piece.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Level 10 user

Rika,

The only glue I use is wood glue. Cann't help.

RD
Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

Are you putting a base on this piece? If so, I guess I'd ask for what purpose.
Visually, I don't think it needs a base, and to put a big solid thing across the bottom would handcuff the whimsey and freshness. Any sort of base added should be confined to the countour of the bottom of the piece, I think.