Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Level 1 user

Re: Sculptors and drawing

Speaking of the sculptor Carl Raven, he draws as well. In fact, he will have two shows next week June 16th - June 27 featuring both a drawing and his sculpture. He also has several shows this summer. If you wish to be invited please email ravencarving@yahoo.com. Carl's drawing is on exhibit next week. He also just won an award from the National Sculpture Society at the Park Avenue Atrium and the show has gone to the Brookhaven Sculpture Garden in South Carolina.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Level 1 user

This may sound bonkers, but I started out as an artist drawing and painting.. as I began learning how to sculpt and practicing that art more and more, oddly enough my drawing and painting also improved.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Level 10 user

Its not odd at all. I began as a painter and always had to work like hell to keep my "chops". I spent a hell of alot of time sketching from life, improving myself superfulously.

For many years now, I dont do anything more than a quick mechanical scribble, yet when I'm with relatives who wish me to draw impromptu portraiture (usually several beers in) I do at least as good, if not better, drawings than I ever did in my life. Its because sculpture has taught my hands to do what my brain says to - and pushing a damn pencil is about the easiest thing possible.

Hell, I could make your bust out of cam shafts and sprockets. And it would look like you!

Last edited by evaldart : 07-23-2008 at 05:19 PM.