Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Level 3 user

Cool chinese foundry

undefinedRecently I received an offer from a chinese(!) foundry to cast pieces for me in bronze, with the maximum skill and quality. They offer free flexible molds, and free shipping from China to me(in Italy). Apart from the reverse global concept- an American in Italy getting stuff from China, I'm curious about all this. Has anyone out there ever heard of such a thing? How could such a transaction be economically feasible, to say nothing of the import-export details. Any thoughts, anyone?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Level 10 user

Re: chinese foundry

AKoch,

Greetings, I too am intrigued by the possibility of getting things cast in China because of the price issue. However I am also concerned about the lack of observance of copyright. You may find your compositions selling in Walmart for $ 40-.

Graham
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Level 10 user

I have a friend living in the Pacific northwest who has had wood pieces cast in bronze
editions in India. He made connections while travelling there and has continued doing this
for about ten years without any complications. He sells the bronzes and keeps the wood
sculptures claiming the cost is far less than any foundry near Seattle where he lives.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Level 10 user

I and other sculptors from Singapore do our bronze castings mostly in Thailand, or in China. They do have a tradition of bronze sculpture castings. And labor there is cheaper than US or W Europe.

When I was in a bronze foundry in Thailand, I saw casting jobs for sculptors from Europe. The foundry handles the packing and shipping arrangements, which can be from door to door.

Somewhere in this Forum, there was a thread started by Paul Dipasquale about his huge 25 ton 26 ft tall bronze sculpture Neptune, installed in Virginia Beach, US. It was casted in Ningbo, China. Here is the link. http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...hlight=neptune

By the way, bronze art castings has a few thousand years of history in China. And in recent years, because of continual economic growth, they themselves are installing many new public bronze sculptures.

Last edited by Merlion : 12-05-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Level 3 user

Question Re: chinese foundry

The thing that intrigued me about the Chinese foundry was their offer to pay for the shipping costs from China to Italy, because research here has discouraged me from looking for outlets in the US, because of the prohibitive costs of shipping. This has been confirmed to me by ceramists here in Impruneta, who have all told me that American clients have been all put off by that. To me, it's stunning that someone in Seattle could find this economical to deal with a foundry in India!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoch
The thing that intrigued me about the Chinese foundry was their offer to pay for the shipping costs from China to Italy,
Probably when they quote, they price the shipping cost into the total cost to make it invisible. Off hand I do not know what proportions of the total cost of bronze sculptural castings consist of material, labor and shipping.

Anyway, related to this, I just saw a article mentioning an UNESCO analysis of global trade among countries in cultural products. It shows that China by now account for a high proportion of world export of such products. This analysis does not treat sculptures separately, but looks at visual arts products. I quote this paragraph below.

"In the visual arts, including paintings, engravings, prints, original sculptures and statuary, the UK, China, USA, Germany and Switzerland accounted for 60 percent of all exports in 2002. With the exception of China, they are also the worlds largest importers. The UK is the single largest importer (42 percent) and exporter (23 percent) of the global trade."

I think this means that China was at 2002 the second largest exporter after UK, and ahead of the USA. The full article is found here.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Level 10 user

If you are now working in Italy AKoch, I understand quite a few sculptors from Europe do their bronze castings in Thailand to reduce cost.

Elsewhere in this Forum we have been discussing this recently. In one of the posts, I have posted in the addresses of six English websites of such Thai foundries. The Thread can be found here.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused
I have a friend living in the Pacific northwest who has had wood pieces cast in bronze
editions in India. He made connections while travelling there and has continued doing this
for about ten years without any complications. He sells the bronzes and keeps the wood
sculptures claiming the cost is far less than any foundry near Seattle where he lives.
Could you possibly e-mail me the address and e-mail of the foundary in India that your friend deals with. Esbuf@yahoo.com
thanking you in advance
esbuf
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBUF
Could you possibly e-mail me the address and e-mail of the foundary in India that your friend deals with. Esbuf@yahoo.com
thanking you in advance
esbuf
Fused, could you also post it here?
JAZ
Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Level 1 user

Could someone give me the name of the foundry that Paul king is associated with.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Level 10 user

I'm not sure why no one has addressed the obvious answer to how a Chinese foundry can offer such things as free shipping, etc.
To cut to the chase, the answer is VERY LOW WAGES for the workers.
What matters a shipping cost if you are paying $1 per hour instead of $15 per hour to a foundry worker?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Level 10 user

It is Asia Fine Art in Ayutthaya, Thailand.

Last edited by Merlion : 08-02-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT
I'm not sure why no one has addressed the obvious answer to how a Chinese foundry can offer such things as free shipping, etc.
To cut to the chase, the answer is VERY LOW WAGES for the workers.
What matters a shipping cost if you are paying $1 per hour instead of $15 per hour to a foundry worker?
And the cost-of-living is proportionally lower in these it locations.... That hypothetical $1 per hour might be a premium wage for the locale....and if it ain't, then outside of slave labor, I don't think they will have workers lining up for the jobs. Personally, I'm looking at taking my 401K to one of these lovely countries, building me a fine house and opening a foundry....should be able to run the operation for about 30 years just out of my checking account.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksun
Personally, I'm looking at taking my 401K to one of these lovely countries, building me a fine house and opening a foundry....should be able to run the operation for about 30 years just out of my checking account.
Somebody in this Forum called Fusionforce was doing something like this at Changmai in the cooler northern part of Thailand. You can find his comments in this thread on Bronze Casting in Thailand. But that was in 2005 and he stopped posting in Jan 2006.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Level 3 user

Hi,
Im an swedish sculptor living in Beijing, I make all my sculptures here, I start casting in china for 1 year ago and now I live here on fulltime. my chinese girlfriend do all the buisness for me, becouse it is IMPOSIBLE to do buisness with chinese people if your not chinese yourself.

if anyone is interested I can ask my girlfriend if she want to do some of this buisness for other artists then me.

see my sculptures I casted in beijing www.johannesnielsen.com

kind regards
Johannes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Johannes,

Congratulations on making the jump to Beijing! Are you able to cast larger than what you are used to? It would be interesting to read some of your experiences from living and working there, so if you have a chance, do provide us with some further insight into your endeavors abroad!

Which specific pieces on your website were cast in China?

Good luck!

Last edited by obseq : 08-10-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Level 3 user

the wounderfull thing with China is that everything you want to make is possible and it cheap, the hard thing is to get it done in the right way.

Also the chinese art market have been exloding the past 5 years as China is taking done the walls for the rest of the world. Today I can even visits web pages like Wikipidia wish was impossible when I got here. Next year is the olympics in Beijing and you feel the exitment and expectationes in the air.

tro to google on 798 art Beijing thats a very interesting area where many gallerys are located.

all my scculptures I show on my webpage have been casted in China.

Johannes