Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Level 3 user

Showing in Italy

undefined
I'm a new member, so I was a bit bemused looking through the past threads and finding back in 2003 a reference to the Florence Bienneale. I have lived in Italy for almost 40 years, outside of Florence, and tried for many years to break into the art scene here. After many expenditures on shows, catalogs, critics, etc., I've decided that its no go. All artists, and honest gallerists and critics told me this along the way, and now I can say: they're right. A painter in my hometown told me recently that she paid 1,000 bucks to hang up one painting, with no results, she said it was very much like most other group shows in Italy,i.e., people pass through the rooms eating ice cream cones while chatting. Stick to the USA.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
ISC Member

Re: Showing in Italy

Thanks for the input! That really helps those of us who are too far away to have any first-hand experience.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Level 10 user

Showing in Italty would be tough,kind of like trying to box after watching Ali.The States are no push over either,and I have to imagine no where else is either.I think it is all timing,people,and places that help to sell art.Example:I was in a wonderful gallery in Santa Fe in the mid 90's,Copeland Rutherford fine arts.He was selling a lot of work,but he sold the gallery,and moved out of state.The new owner kept me on,and early summer I had a solo show,indoor/outdoor.Took about five months work,$3,500 to pull off the show.The gallery was prim location on Canyon RD.Nobody showed up for the show.Then I here some Holloywood actor,the old fart that did onehanded pushups at some awards show,was having a show down the street.They said his work was bad,but the place was beyond packed.Also,I found out my invites were never sent out,nice ha.I new when I left I would be back the next year to pick up the work.She sold one piece in two years,the sculpture outside was a draw to pull people in to buy her paintings.I won't show in galleries where the owner is an artist in the rotaion,because they usually conceren with there career,not yours.just one of the many "art horor" stories in my book,but I have had just as many good ones to balance out the bad,comes and goes in this crazy business.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Level 3 user

Iron ant, the Italians have a saying, "Il mondo paese" i.e., the world is one town. I had an experience like yours with a Princeton gallery, and of course with numerous Italian galleries, all money gobbling machines. How to get around it? An Italian painter told me that one of the top Italian critics can get me a show in the best gallery in Milan( #1 place to show in Italy) together with a favorable writeup by him for the modest sum of 30,000 euros(45,000 bucks), but he doesn?t guarantee sales. Well, you can?t have everything.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Level 10 user

Akoch,thats brutal to think you are actually having to brib someone to do the job there probally already getting paid for.I studied in Cortona in 85,and I do love Italy.I promesd my wife to return one day with the Kids.Also ,if a gallery ever guarentee,s sales,big red flag. IA