Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2003, 12:06 AM

durability

just how durable is bronze?

i will need to have holes available in my piece for steel cable to fit through as it will hang from the ceiling.

does anyone suggest drilling holes in my molds before i pour bronze or can the final piece itself withstand a drill?

thanks as always.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:23 AM
scupture.net

Bronze is generally considered to be a very long lasting sculpture material, and has such a rich history of use. Of course extreme conditions can destroy anything and there are patinas, waxes, and synthetic coatings that many sculptors have used to protect the surface and give a beautiful finish.

Bronze is easy to drill with sharp metal bit and a little cutting oil, and that is the way I would do it.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RuBert
Bronze is generally considered to be a very long lasting sculpture material, and has such a rich history of use. Of course extreme conditions can destroy anything and there are patinas, waxes, and synthetic coatings that many sculptors have used to protect the surface and give a beautiful finish.

Bronze is easy to drill with sharp metal bit and a little cutting oil, and that is the way I would do it.

thanks for the tip russ,

for some reason i was certain that drilling wouldnt be such a great idea.

seems like post-pour modifications might not be as delicate as i suspected.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Sculptor

bronze and stainless steel

Stainless steel is considered the best material to come into contact with bronze, if the contact is long-term, in order to avoid electrolytic corrosion of the bronze. These two materials have similar reactivity to electrolysis, unlike bronze and regular steel cable, for instance. If necessary, you can use a small piece of stainless steel such as a hook, and make the rest of the cable of any metal.

As for the point of suspension, I always have inserted a support or places to secure the bronze to a base before casting. It usually fits more or less within the actual sculpture and doesn’t increase the size or cost of the mold. You can use one or more pieces of wax, shaped into the correct form and with or without holes punched in the wax. Balance in the wax piece will be similar to that of the finished bronze, so long as the original piece is all wax, or totally of material having a like density. If you need a threaded hole, that should be done after casting, though an initial hole of slightly smaller size can be punched in the wax.