Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

Shovels are Art?

Just came back from the annual Salt Lake Arts Festival. It seems that the latest craze is to buy one of those CNC controlled Plasma Arc cutters and make things. Many people would be amazed at that degree of intricacy in a metal piece. Except, I use a plasma arc to cut my steel and I get the advertisement from the company that is selling a CNC controlled machine that you can mount your Plasma arc torch or router onto. Some of the work is quite beautiful; but, when you cut a very intricate pattern on a shovel, that is going too far.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Shovels are Art?

I assume you are talking about the art of Cal Lane-
http://www.callane.com/

and I couldnt disagree more.
I love her work, have for years.

On the other hand, if I see one more bronze naked woman sculpture, I am gonna hurl.

But, see, thats why art is "subjective" instead of "objective".
Contrary to what some people here like to spout, there is no "right' or "wrong" when it comes to art.

There is only what you like, and everybody has the right, and, indeed, the responsibility, to like different things.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Level 10 user

I think that guys work is just fine, and not at all because of any sculptural qualities but because of the manipulations of pattern, which is the flattest design entity possible. He raises it into the "real" (the 2.357 - D, would be my estimate). Good damned stuff if you ask me...thanks for the link Ries, I had never heard of him.

Not all bronze naked women sculpture are created equal though. and remember, they are only made bronze by the tradesmen and the intentions for permanence. It is CLAY work...the art is in the clay. So you are judging the metal snapshot, which is not at all the same as what it was cast from (though the do their best...those facilities). SO, by extension it is implied that you have an aversion to figurative work that ends up in bronze. I have seen many metal snapshots that quite delivered pretty-damned-well the message of imagining a figure in clay. But mostly they are sorry, sappy, civic things that arrive by any means necessary...more intent upon caricature than form and composition.

And the grand disclaimer of absolute subjectivity is certainly a card that me played at anytime during any (philosophial) argument; but in the interest in getting the most out of a discussion we must refrain in favor of the supremacy of conjecture.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
On the other hand, if I see one more bronze naked woman sculpture, I am gonna hurl.

But, see, thats why art is "subjective" instead of "objective".
Contrary to what some people here like to spout, there is no "right' or "wrong" when it comes to art.

There is only what you like, and everybody has the right, and, indeed, the responsibility, to like different things.
Quoted for truth
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Level 10 user

Cal Lane is of the feminine persuasion.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Level 10 user

Ries- What made you immediately jump to the conclusion that I was talking about Cal Lane? Have you had to defend her work before? It was a local artist and the work was actually on the blade of a shovel.
The work that your link went to is very much well thought out sculpture.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Level 10 user

1- Cal Lane is really well known for her plasma cut designs on shovels.
You didnt specify any names, and hers sprang to mind. Now that I think about it, she wouldnt be showing at a venue like that.

2- I believe I have even defended her work before on this very site...

3- as Evald says, her work may not be in the heroic, massive and form manipulation style of real "manly" sculpture- but, frankly, I dont care what you call it, I like it. And I base that on having actually seen the stuff in real life, something I recommend for any artwork before making aesthetic decisions about it.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
Now that I think about it, she wouldnt be showing at a venue like that.
Oh my, looks like even the seemingly unbiased are biased and speculative now and then...makes me feel so much better about my own biases, but I wonder if Cal would approve of this little remark (even if it was true).
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Level 10 user

I never claim to be unbiased.

Everybody has biases.

If anything, I think I pretty consistently argue that we all have biases, and we should just admit it, rather than pretending our biases are actually ultimately "right" or "good".

Cal Lane is pretty well known internationally, and shows at good galleries and museums in the USA.
It seems extremely unlikely that she would be showing at the Utah Arts Festival, either as an invited artist or paying for a booth.

I first saw her work in person at ArtBasel in Miami.

By the way, here is the actual artist that was being discussed in the first post- everyone can decide on their own, using their own biases, what they think of the shovels.
http://www.uaf.org/artist-marketplac...ly-phipps.html
http://kellyphipps.com/index.html
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Level 10 user

I dig that shovel. For the functionality purists, the art has transformed it into non-functional as a traditional shovel, but it could still be used to sift sand from class five gravel, so is there a ratio whereby decreased functionality as a result of art renders it a little bit more art than pure craft?
More importantly, why should one care about that? Just dig it, or shovel off to something else.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Level 10 user

I dig the last one, the object with the dragonfly handle. I found it intriguing too, because I couldn't figure out at first what kind of object it was. But now I do, and that's too bad. I still like it though.

Now that would be a great performance, the artist shoveling Glenn's gravel into the wheelbarrow! start with gravel, and then sand while humming/singing Dust in the Wind

Last edited by rika : 06-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Level 10 user

And if you're biases dont change constantly then you are being lazy.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Level 10 user

http://www.uaf.org/artist-marketplac...ly-phipps.html . This is a link to the artist.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Level 10 user

I like the work but find the shovel to be a bit gimmicky. Ya there is a degree of statement in it but I find the work to be strong enough to exist with out the recognizable object.
That said I bet they sell and good for her for that. I have been known to follow the cash and don't appologise for it.
2c worth of bias.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Level 1 user

Joseph Beuys, now he knew how to turn a humble spade into art.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Level 10 user

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe someone had just seen one of Marcel Duchamp's "ready-mades," titled "In Advance of a Broken Arm."

Gary