Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Level 1 user

Ever hear of Ananaki?

Was wondering if anyone has heard of a multi-artist named Ananaki, from the early eighties? I'm pretty sure there was a big hullabaloo about him (?) in the art community at the time. A review in the ny times (a bohemian friend claims) called him the 'new Picasso with a twist of Rodin'. Supposedly he had some sketches and wood scultpures sold at auction for an astronomical price, then he dropped off the face of the earth. My bohemian friend says now there is an underground rumor that he is going to submit a piece for bid on ebay. Anyone know about this? I can't find any info from search engines.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Level 10 user

Re: who is Ananaki?

I don't recall an artist named Ananaki making a big splash in the eighties and if the NYTimes called him the "new Picasso" they were obviously mistaken. The combo of Picasso and Rodin seems like an odd mix to be sure. Are you sure about the spelling of the name and do you have any recollection of what this art might look like?

It's hard to imagine anyone with "astronimical" success at auction now turning to eBay to sell art. Where would such an underground rumor originate about an unknown entity (and why?) ???
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Level 8 user

Re: Ever hear of Ananaki?

Hmm... you're not speaking of ARAKI, S & M kinda photographer?
He's good too, but definitely does not match the description except that any journalist in need of a good tag line would be crazy enough to put together a few names (Dali, Picasso, Rodin, Fischer) in the name-dropping blender... ;-)

Cheers
Old 02-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Level 1 user

Re: Ever hear of Ananaki?

Thanks, fused and Philpraxis. I had another friend claim he had heard of him (?) but didn't think he was reviewed in the nytimes. Weird rumour to be sure, but it is, after all, a rumor. I could swear I remember hearing about him, though, but with my steely seive-like memory it could just be an attempt to validate my own musings. Thanks for the assists, though.