Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Level 7 user

What utility wagon/cart to buy?

Would appreciate your recommendation for a folding cart/utility wagon to carry my sculptures. Extensive search and reading of reviews suggest 3 possibilities:
- Tricam FR110-2 Farm & Ranch 400-Pound Capacity Steel Utility Cart
- Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart (expensive)
- Sandusky Lee CW Steel Crate Wagon

Yet, the reviews are not encouraging: poor construction, risk of tipping over, etc.

I need to carry bronze, clay, each piece up to 40lbs. And of course I need to carry multiple piece and the cart has to fit into my hatchback car

Thanks -
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
ISC Member

Re: What utility wagon/cart to buy?

Get a P/U!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Level 7 user

and what is a that P/U????????????
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Level 8 user

I sell rooted grape vine cuttings in several Farmers' Markets. I usually wind up beside "the wild honey" guy. He wheels his stacks of crates and boxes on a 2-wheel mover's dolly. I suppose it could carry 150lbs? I have a honkin' big commercial one for 800lbs, it's one piece.

What makes his dolly-cart interesting is that the entire top half of the handle part comes off. Very easy fit in his very small car. I need a GMC Suburban to carry mine around.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Level 7 user

I think PU meands "pick up", as in pickup truck.
A 2 wheeled dolly seems like your best option, and as Robson Valley said there are some that have folding handles, but many smaller ones would fit in a hatch back ,even with out the folding handles,...I use a small one to move around stone blocks, when ever they are to heavy (over 100 lbs, and up to 200+), and even on lighter smaller blocks, it is easier then carrying them, The size and shapes of you sculptures may make a dolly "awkward",..on that I don't know, you might have to figure out a way, with straps, or some kind of light weight netting, to keep them from falling off,..40 lbs is not very heavy, a folding baby carridge, or stroller ? might work, I've seen some that have double seats, and the kids were so FAT, I am sure they were more then 40lbs each!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
ISC Member

Any of those carts will take up most of the space in your hatchback with little room left for sculpture. If you cannot upgrade your vehicle, consider a convertible hand truck: http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/ma...le-hand-trucks
There are many types to choose from but the having the ability to convert from verticle (hand truck) to horizontal (flat cart) will give you great flexibility.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Level 7 user

Thank you Gary and EJB - Yes. The convertible hand truck seems to be the best (not optimum) solution. I need the horizontal set up. Adding crates and being able to attach them securely should work.

Thank you for this option I had dismissed the upright dolly but the convertible kind is a good option.

Really appreciated your input.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Level 7 user

Update. Thank you EJB. I did buy the hand truck per your suggestion and I am happy. I bought the smaller model.

The truck is quite heavy and still a bit bulky so it would not fit into my Mazda hatchback when it is loaded with the sculptures. I carry it on my bike rack which is set for 3 bikes so I load the hand truck horizontally on top of the bars. It is exactly the right width for that purpose.

The package arrived unassembled and some screws were loose inside the box and some were missing. I needed help to assembled it. The tires needed to be inflated.

I did not buy the flat bed which I think costs $50. Instead I used a plank of plywood I had which happened to be the right width. My helper sawed off two small tongues on each side (towards the handles) and it fits perfectly.

I used the hand truck this week-end and it was a big help. Note that the wheels do not have a lock so this is a bit of a bother.

It is easy to maneuver. Though one needs muscles to operate it but sculptors have muscles.